Author Topic: Season 24 - Ethereal Memory  (Read 975 times)

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 16
    • View Profile
Re: Season 24 - Ethereal Memory
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2021, 04:47:31 PM »
are you trying to get an item drop vs gamble with shards? or was there an upgrade from rare thing?  I think all options are features in game right?  Do you remember 2012.  I spent a few months before my first leg ever dropped

Orbert

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 153
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2021, 01:31:19 PM »
According to everything I've found online, you can't gamble them, and you can't get them via "crafting" (which I assume means using the cube to upgrade from a rare).  They have to drop, either from a monster, chest, or breakable.

dave in the basement

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2021, 01:48:06 PM »
According to everything I've found online, you can't gamble them, and you can't get them via "crafting" (which I assume means using the cube to upgrade from a rare).  They have to drop, either from a monster, chest, or breakable.

This is correct, unfortunately.

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2021, 03:52:05 PM »
Finished the story with my DH.  Finished chapter 1 & 2.  Should be easy to finish 3&4 in a week.  Because in a week and 1 day I will be back to D2.

Orbert

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2021, 05:08:00 PM »

This is correct, unfortunately.

Thanks, Dave, you're my hero.  But I was responding to the Timinator, who seemed to be implying that there were other ways (although I'm still not sure what 2012 has to do with it).

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2021, 05:56:29 PM »
Hi Orbert

Sorry for the confusion, had no idea of the limitations to get them. 

As for the 2012 thing, I was reminded of the HORRIBLE drop rates before Loot 2.0.   

Orbert

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2021, 06:28:35 PM »
Ah, now I get it.  Original loot drops were rough.

I guess horrible is in the eyes of the beholder, though.  Since they didn't drop all the time, their rarity actually made them special and valuable.  Nowadays with everything so overpowered, I run rifts, and after a quick glance at my inventory, whip through and salvage a dozen shinies without even looking at the stats.  The number of shinies I've salvaged without even a glance is probably in the thousands.

Cluck Kent

• Cookies: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2021, 07:28:19 PM »
How in the world do you cheese an eth?

Orbert, I'm finally getting to a place where I can salvage a lot without looking at the stats. I've made piece with the fact that I'm not likely to run much non-season anymore so I'm not concerned about what I keep at the end of season except for mats.

dave in the basement

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2021, 07:49:53 PM »
How in the world do you cheese an eth?

You level a character to like level 10 and then use a puzzle ring in the cube to hit Greed's realm, ideally on T6 to increase drop rates. I don't remember the exact details, but at that low a level, eths have the highest drop rates.

I found it to be a great sanity saver.

Orbert

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2021, 12:41:00 AM »
The way I understand it is this:  You need the cooperation of at least one other player.  You start a new character and, using a Gem of Ease (not exactly required, but very helpful), get this character to Level 12.  The pool of available legendaries that can drop is still quite small, but ethereals can drop, so effectively your odds of getting an ethereal is highest.  You start a new game with this Level 12 character.  Someone else at least four levels higher joins the game.  This "locks" the game at Level 12.  Your friend stays in the game, but you leave and return with the character whose class you need ethereals for.  Doesn't matter if you're Level 70 or what; the game is locked at Level 12.  Run goblin vaults or regular nephalem rifts.  These have the best drops per time.  I saw the numbers but don't remember exactly, but the odds of a legendary being ethereal is around 10% or so.  So within an hour or two (usually less), you'll have collected all the ethereals for that class.  Rinse and repeat for each class.

I did not do that this evening, but did run an ancient goblin vault and got my Gidbinn.  Just have the Wizardspike to go now.

Switched to my wizard, and she got another Occulus.  The frustrating thing with ethereals is that they do ridiculous damage, but if your build depends on a specific weapon with a specific nephalem power, even the crazy damage from an ethereal doesn't necessarily make up for not using the right weapon.  My wizard is running a Typhon's build, which needs both the Serpent Sparker and the Fragment of Destiny powers (wield one, cube the other).  The Occulus dropped with the Fragment of Destiny power, so I was able to switch to it and take advantage of 35% more damage.  Another Mang Song's Lesson dropped, too.  Grrr.  Still need that Wizardspike.

dave in the basement

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2021, 07:31:12 AM »
I easily found the 2 wizard eths on my own, but if you want to keep the level at 12 or whatever, you do need a second person to snapshot the level.

Here's more information, if people are curious: https://maxroll.gg/resources/s24-theme-ethereals

For those out of the loop, Maxroll is probably the best source for things D3 related at this point.

syn

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 13
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2021, 09:16:10 AM »
got 2 eths left to find. stupid freaking battle cestus is elusive. my monk's found 2 necro AND 2 crusader ethereals and multiple talons and bartucs, but not the stupid cestus.  got all the necro ethereals without having to play a necro, and 2 of the 3 crusader ethereals the same way. almost there...

edit: i complain and it drops (after another talon and bartucs). khalim's will left.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 10:17:22 AM by syn »

Cluck Kent

• Cookies: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2021, 09:42:02 PM »
I wish I had known when I was down to just my Necro. It was the only class that was frustrating and it was really frustrating. Thanks for the info. I'm still toying with trying again on Europe - I already have the Demon Hunter and Wizard done, but I'm not sure. This little trick does interest me.

I believe the idea with the gem of ease to to help get a char to level 31 and roll for puzzle rings. It sounded like you'd want several for each character.

dave in the basement

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2021, 09:31:32 AM »
I'm still toying with trying again on Europe.

I thought about that as well, until it took for Hell-and-ever to find the eths on my necro and wizard. Not happening for me! :P  Good luck if you give it a go, though.

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2021, 11:01:10 AM »
Working on Chapter 4.  I forgot that this one is the one that needs a little bit of grinding to get done.  Might or might not make the cutoff for next Thursday.