Author Topic: How to get into D2  (Read 220 times)

Drozz

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
How to get into D2
« on: January 02, 2021, 08:37:00 PM »
If I wanted to get D2 again and LOD, what are the mechanics involved? Where do I purchase it from? Am I supposed to get Path of Diablo for QOL changes? How do I get that? Do I still have to enter /players8, or has that been automatically inserted?

Just trying to figure out all the mechanics involved in downloading the game again. And, I'm positive that I no longer have the CD key, so this will be a brand new purchase. Starting from scratch.

Also, any youtube videos or tutorials out there, so I'm reminded on what I'm supposed to do? If this is covered in another thread already, just point me to where it is, and I'll try to get all my answers there.

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 23
    • View Profile
Re: How to get into D2
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 11:03:38 PM »
So many questions.  Ha.  The only thing I can tell you is where to buy it:
https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/product/diablo-ii
https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/product/diablo-ii-lord-of-destruction

Or you can just wait until the mythical remaster is complete.

Drozz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 01:43:36 PM »
Lol, yeah, lots of questions. I went ahead and bought D2 and LOD and downloaded them. I even loaded up the game and started a barb named........Drozz.

I'm not sure what to do with the mods though. Plugy? Path of Diablo? Neither? I'm not sure how to get restarted, so I'm going to have to go find some guides.

Drozz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 01:59:49 PM »
Reading more guides and threads, maybe I shouldn't use mods at all???

As far as stash, I can create as many characters as I want, right? I remember having mules back in the day. And there is a way to move items from one char to another, right?

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 11:53:39 PM »
Personally I used GoMule to mule items between characters, but most streamers seem to use PlugY since it basically sets up a "shared" stash between all characters and does other stuff like enabling ladder-only runewords and the uber bosses in SP.  GoMule is here http://gomule.sourceforge.net but I never looked into PlugY.

I believe Path of Diablo changes various fundamentals about the game, like new skills and balance changes, so it would be a "different" experience.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 04:41:13 AM »
I still have Atma, as thats how I setup my stuff and it works for me.  The main reason I'd go for PlugY is the other 2 unique charms Hellfire Torch and Annihilus http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/normal/ucharms.shtml

I heard about Path of Diablo but don't know details.  You do need to do the /players8 if you want it on, or in between settings

In terms of videos, MrLlama is pretty cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gov7HccMGdA  if you google things about Diablo2 start or Diablo2 noob or tricks you'll get things.  I'd try to find a type of video content maker that doesn't annoy you.

Then I'd get you to ask yourself, why are you coming back to this awesome game after all this time?  What fun things are you looking to do?  Get a character or a few up high? max damage, find cool items etc? and make sure you are doing that :)

mn4nu

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 05:38:54 PM »
I use PlugY and recommend it.  It's like the battlenet experience for offline single player, with an unlimited stash thrown in.  The ubers are actually a little easier than online since they don't spawn minions.  That is the only difference.  I think the latest version of Plug Y won't run on the latest version of the game.  I am running version 1.13c. Google for more info on how to get it and install it.  Totally worth it.

Drozz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 08:18:58 PM »
Then I'd get you to ask yourself, why are you coming back to this awesome game after all this time?  What fun things are you looking to do?  Get a character or a few up high? max damage, find cool items etc? and make sure you are doing that :)

Hey Tim! Good question. I bought D3 less than a year ago, and recently I got the extra stash space in season, so I went to non-season. I figured I would camp there for a while, but I fell out of interest quickly. I asked my son which game to go to, and he gave me a couple suggestions. I looked at Cyberpunk, and I looked at some of the other games talked about here. Nothing really drew my interest, so I thought why not D2. It's been over 10 years.

Wow, everyone has had great suggestions. Much appreciated! I'm still surprised that I completely forgot almost everything about the game. I think once I run through the whole campaign in normal, it will come back to me. I'm looking forward to MFing and getting characters to 99. I just have to get up to speed. Going /players 8 at first was probably not the best idea, since I have no equipment, and when you have decent equipment in stashes, then you can run /players 8 to power level your new characters up. Right now, it's just relearning the game and figuring it out from there.

Good news is that I'm really into it right now.

D2Addict

• Cookies: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 07:41:07 PM »
Welcome back to Diablo 2. I just never left the old 1.09B version and still play on occasion using ATMA still as well. I have lots of 1.09 stuff still. Probably not top end items to spare any more but just about anything else.

Drozz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 08:34:18 PM »
I've downloaded gomule, but I can't seem to get it to run/install. What am I doing wrong?

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 08:18:47 AM »
Best guess is since GoMule is a java program you might have to update (or install) Java to use it from java.com.

Dust

• Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 07:28:24 AM »
plugy is astoundingly good. Use that, and then see if you want more later.

Let me know if you need trades or anything too - I'm still playing a bit

Drozz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2021, 01:57:59 PM »
I went old school and got ATMA, and it worked, but I think I might go plugy anyway. I'll just have to figure out how to install it and how it works.

Drozz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2021, 02:20:28 PM »
I installed Plugy.

Well, that was easy.  ;D

mn4nu

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2021, 03:27:50 PM »
Good choice Drozz.  It is the way to go.