Author Topic: GOTY 2020 Lists  (Read 160 times)

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 7
    • View Profile
GOTY 2020 Lists
« on: December 31, 2020, 07:17:47 PM »
When listing out all the games I completed this year, I'm both kinda surprised and I guess not all that surprised, given how things have gone this year.  Here would be my top 10 of what I played (year of release in parentheses), followed by a list of other games I played:

1. Final Fantasy VII: Remake (2020) - Somehow exceeded expectations, despite the hype.  Great characters, great combat, great visuals, great music, and made a diehard fan like me super excited with what it changed and where it could go.  Showed way more love to the original than I expected.  Honeybee Inn probably gaming moment of the year for a lot of people.
2. Yakuza 6: Song of Life (2018) - Made in the newer engine, so lots of quality-of-life improvements, and big enough to feel meaty but not too big like some of the others.  Great story, great character development, good bad guys, pretty fun mini-games.
3. Persona 5 Royal (2020) - A few things are worsened by the additions, but most of them are huge improvements.  It's a 130+ hour RPG, so pretty great for value, and the characters are so ridiculously strong that they can make whole franchises off of spinoffs.
4. The Witness (2016) - One of the best puzzle games ever, and also one of the hardest.  The videos unlocked from the challenge puzzles were quite interesting to me, although some might find them pretentious.
5. Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight (2019) - A Rhythm game that is basically just Persona music and having conversations with the characters, which are probably the 2 best things about P5.  Also has pretty good writing, and shows awareness of some of the memes around the game.
6. Trials of Mana Remake (2020) - Seiken Densetsu 3 finally getting some love, as a 1995 SNES RPG that never got localized except for fan translated ROMs (which is how I played it).  It's a very old design, and this remake is faithful to a fault, so young players probably wouldn't love it, but I did.
7. Marvel's Spider Man (2018) - Pretty good story and characters, probably one of the best for an open-world game.  NYC was pretty although exploration and combat got pretty boring after a while.  Finished all 3 DLCs, but only really liked the one with Black Cat.
8. Yakuza 5 Remastered (2020) - Playing as 5 different protagonists across 7 different locations makes it have some variety, although the main story suffers because of it.  Haruka's story in the middle was well-placed, replacing brawling street combat with idol singing/dancing rhythm games.  It was also one of my top 3 moments to see that she got her own superboss from the Amon clan, having a danceoff against an Assassin's daughter.
9. Torment: Tides of Numenera (2017) - Poor gameplay, but excellent writing and interesting ideas.  Tries a little hard to hit the same beats as Planescape: Torment, but I appreciate it being creative in other ways.
10. Control (2019) - Interesting visuals, decent gameplay, fun ideas with some of the objects of power, though it leaves too much to a sequel to be satisfying on its own. 

Others played (a lot of these I got free on PS+):
The Surge - Souls clone with a body-part mechanic.  Decent combat, although getting over the power hump does take a while of grinding.
Devil May Cry 5 - Very disappointed.  Characters were fun, but the combat didn't gel with me at all, and the levels are boringly linear.
Q.U.B.E. Director's Cut - Interesting puzzle game with cubes.  Very well-designed difficulty curve, with the puzzles teaching you basic mechanics and then combining them into harder puzzles, but it ends early before it ever reaches Portal-levels of satisfying complexity.
Switch Galaxy Ultra - On-rails space "racer".  Decent visuals, somewhat interesting comic-based story, but basically requires perfection to advance, as you have to basically get "90%+" on every race.
Horizon Chase Turbo - Very basic car racer.  Like above, requires perfection to advance, and it doesn't feel right mechanically as your car somewhat auto-turns on its own.
Trackmania Turbo - Yet another racer that requires perfection to advance, which is why <1% of players have seen even half the levels.  Does have some interesting levels in that you are often required to jump ridiculous distances, do loop-de-loops and use boosts to fly up walls and such.
Greedfall - Almost a good game, just needs more polish.  Colonial-era outfits and architecture are interesting, and the main story and relationship between the protagonist and antagonist were pretty good, but there's a lot of empty space, and the quest system was frustrating.
Valkyria Chronicles 4 - Decent story, decent characters, hits a lot of the same beats as 1 but just not as good.  Grenadier class added a lot of complexity.
Judgment - Basically the same as Yakuza 6 except not as good mini-games, and not as deep a connection to the any of the characters because it's stand-alone. 
Indivisible - Weird platforming/RPG hybrid.  Actually has interesting platforming mechanics and abilities, but the RPG side is pretty bad and not designed very well.  Was in development hell for a while, and the studio is now gone I think.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 - Pretty darn fun multiplayer combat.  The single-player story is absolute shit though.
Yakuza 4 - 4 Protagonists meant the story suffered, though it was better than 5's, but it lacked much else that was fun.
Yakuza 3 - Easily the worst of the series, as the non-Kamurocho town wasn't laid out well and was a hassle to get around, and Kiryu taking care of the kids at his orphanage sadly doesn't have a huge payoff for the rest of the series (or at least not as big as it seems like it would have).  Bad guys were also not set up very well.
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection - Has input lag that makes it hard to play them, and it lacks options given to these games on previous home console releases as it tries to be "arcade perfect".
The Last Remnant Remastered - Pretty terrible RPG all-around mechanically but at least has a decently set-up world, races, and politics.  The visuals aren't super terrible either.

I still dabble in other games like Civilization V, Starcraft 1 and 2, Neverwinter Nights, Capcom vs SNK 2, etc.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 21
    • View Profile
Re: GOTY 2020 Lists
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 09:43:55 PM »
I haven't put them in order yet, but my GOTY contenders are:

Cyberpunk: A few minor glitches here and there but nothing major. Ridiculously good time. Night City is off the charts in detail and presentation. The story pulls you in hard. The characters and the world are good. The gameplay is tons of fun. The graphics are to die for, playing at 1440p 144hz, maxed out with ultra raytracing.
Horizon Zero Dawn: the story I just can't stop thinking about, especially some of the side content. The story told through the vantage points continues to haunt me. From gameplay to graphics to story, this one really is just sublime.
Immortals: Fenyx Rising: Light-hearted, good fun. Gorgeous colorful graphics. Fenyx is one of my favorite protagonists ever. She just gets so EXCITED about discovering things, and is so engaged and delightful and animated. Speaking of which, the animations are fantastic. The gameplay is solid. The interaction between Zeus and Prometheus is delightful. It's impossible to play this and not just have a solidly good fun time.

Other stuff I played this year that I enjoyed, which might not be 2020 releases:
Resident Evil 3 remake
Baldur's Gate 3
Solasta: Crown of the Magister
Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning
Grounded
Fallout 76
Elder Scrolls Online
Outward
State of Decay 2
Greedfall
Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem
Code Vein
Monster Hunter World
Corruption of Champions 2
Tainted Grail

Stuff I acquired that I haven't had the chance to give much time yet but really want to:
The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk
Vampire: The Masquerade - Night Road
Beyond Two Souls
Detroit: Become Human
XCOM: Chimera Squad
Wasteland 3
Third Crisis
Carrion
Acting Lessons
The Black Masses
Gears Tactics
Sanguine Rose

I won't list the stuff I did try and didn't like. It's probably a long list. lol

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 11:03:37 PM »

The first task is remembering the games that I played.

Control
Borderlands 3
Witcher 3
Divine Divinity Original Sin
Wolcen
Detroit: Becoming Human
Resident Evil 2
Batman {whatever the last one was called}
Uncharted 4
Far Cry 5
Shadow of the Tomb Raider <- Replay
A Way Out

There are probably some games that I am forgetting.  The true standouts were Witcher 3, Control, Borderlands, and Divine Divinity Original Sin.  The true turds were FC5 and the Batman game where your batmobile is a tank.

If I had to pick one game as my favorite it would have to be BL3.  I sank so many hours into that game and had a lot of fun doing it.  Very flawed game but still a great time playing it.  Witcher was a very close second. 

I am close to wrapping Control up.  Finished the main game and the Alan Wake cross over DLC {which was enjoyable}.  On the whole, I do enjoy the game but I find that it suffers from the same problem as Alan Wake.  Namely that the world and story are more interesting than the gameplay.  The game is very good, and I do recommend it, but I can easily see that it is not for everyone.

Soon I will be launching into Cyberpunk.  It is already downloaded and I have started it.  I do hope it pulls me in.

Kasferatu

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 03:45:46 PM »
I didn't play a huge amount this year, but a lot of what I did play took quite a while so I'm not surprised.  My list of games:

Age of Wonders: Planetfall
Assassin's Creed Origins
Book of Demons
Crusader Kings III
Fallout 76
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Final Fantasy XV
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Monster Train
No Man's Sky
Severed

Of these, there were three standouts: FF7R, Monster Train and CK3.  They all entertained me in very different ways, so I'd struggle to pick a GOTY.  I'd perhaps land on FF7R because I absolutely adored it but Monster Train was such an out of nowhere hit I'd be tempted to pick this too!