Author Topic: Formula 1  (Read 166 times)

Disco-neck Ted

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 1
    • View Profile
Formula 1
« on: December 15, 2020, 11:22:25 PM »
Anybody have interest?

Last race of the (short 2020) season was dull as dirt. Mercedes turned down their kgu, I believe, and there were no challenges at the front of the pack. Drivers' championship and constructors' championship already decided.

But. The race before, Hamilton didn't participate due to testing positive for covid and George Russell took his car for an awesome drive!  I'm actually a Hamilton fan from way back when he first started F1, but seeing Russell get out in front of Botas and look like a race winner was super exciting!  It didn't (spoiler alert) end that way, but for a time, it was utterly fantastic to see what a talented young driver could do with the winningest car on track.

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 23
    • View Profile
Re: Formula 1
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 12:10:52 PM »
I haven't followed the sport since I was a kid.  Even then it was pretty superficial. 

Disco-neck Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 11:46:54 PM »
Fair enough. I've come to feel that most sportsball is meaningless so get your point.

American football in particular is just painful when you think about how little time is spent actually doing anything.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 09:04:46 AM »
Hey!  That is accurate.

There is this new service that takes an American football game had condenses it down to 30 minutes.  I haven't really used it because the Jets suck.

Disco-neck Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 12:35:18 AM »
Hey!  That is accurate.

There is this new service that takes an American football game had condenses it down to 30 minutes.  I haven't really used it because the Jets suck.
Lol

So, my disinfatuation with American football probably started when Phoenix attracted the cardinals rather than holding out for an expansion team, which is what I wanted beyond reason. I mean, they were a shitty team, St. Louis didn't really want them, and Florida or one of the other new teams went to the Super Bowl their first or second season. That could have been us! 

On top of getting this weak-ass team that should have been called the Arizona Cardinals from the start, they instead doubled down on exclusivity by calling them the Phoenix Cardinals and, in addition to having one of the highest ticket prices in the NFL (for a team that was hoping to break .500) they also blacked out the games in the rest of the state hoping we would all flock to the stadium to watch their suck-assery in person.

Fuck the cardinals.

Edit:  the point about the blackouts is that even while swallowing SO much disappointment over having the goddamn cardinals in the state, I was open to seeing them play, learning who was who and finding some reason to root for them. That's pretty difficult when you don't actually get to see any games.

After that, I noticed my happiness was too often dependent on the success of my hometown basketball team. A friend who shared this passion once threw all of his furniture in the pool after an "important" loss.  I gradually extricated myself from the roundball religion and don't regret it. Usually.

All that said, I watched most of a quarter of the colts/bills game. It was a fun throwback to days of yore when everyone was an armchair quarterback, and the time between anything happening on the field was spent hoping for some outcome or deciding what play they should run.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 12:39:27 AM by Disco-neck Ted »

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 10:38:21 AM »
NFL blackout rules are just broken, but that does seem a special kind of stupid.