Author Topic: Election post  (Read 717 times)

Disco-neck Ted

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
Election post
« on: November 02, 2020, 10:04:44 PM »
Nobody posting anything yet?  Sure, don't post until tomorrow like the weaklings that you are.  I can wait.

As long as the echoing silence isn't *interrupting* or anything, here is something you didn't need to know:  ballot structure is important n' stuff.

See, my home state of Arizona has a reputation for being racist over the Martin Luther King holiday, and probably other things too, to be fair.  But the MLK holiday is a bad rap

When the holiday was put to a vote, someone fucked up the ballot, whether due to naivete or something worse, I don't know, but what they did on the ballot was this:

( ) Vote 'yes' if you want Martin Luther King Day to replace Columbus Day.
( ) Vote 'yes' if you want Martin Luther King Day to replace another holiday.
( ) Vote 'no' if you don't want Martin Luther King Day as a holiday.

In the polling booth, as soon as I looked at the ballot, I knew the initiative was bound to fail because the 'yes' vote had been split.  It's crazy to see something so unfair as this and know that it should have been structured differently as a yes/no question with a SUBSEQUENT question regarding replacing Columbus Day.

The results were like this:  32% in favor of MLK Day replacing Columbus Day, 30% in favor of MLK Day replacing another holiday, and 34% in favor of not having MLK Day as a holiday.

I forget how the holiday was enacted after that, but our dimwit governor thinking he had heard a mandate from the people that we didn't want this holiday, cancelled it.  We impeached his cracker ass shortly thereafter.

So, quick summary:  'racist' Arizona actually favored the MLK holiday 62% to 34%, but... ballot structure.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Election post
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 02:19:05 AM »
Im an atheist but tomorrow Iíll be praying for you guys

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 05:08:57 AM »
I took tomorrow off work so I could recover... one way or another...

syn

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 12
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 07:13:32 AM »
lol, nice ballot question. almost Florida worthy.

working today, which is probably nice since i'll be too busy to watch the news. really wish i had tomorrow off, though.

biden swept dixville notch.  :o

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 10:23:58 AM »
I think the point is that someone, who is racist, set up the choices like that on purpose.  There is no way that the yes vote was set up that way by accident. 

Divide and conquer has long been a racist's calling card.

Keep on fighting!

My vote is in.  I guess we start to get an idea of what is happening around 4:30 to 5pm EST.  I am actually off from work.  My company does the appropriate thing of giving everyone the day off.  We have six warehouse crews scattered across the country and it is nice that they get a chance to have the day off. 

I need to find a way to keep myself busy.  I wish my gaming computer was functional.  Ah well.

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 01:54:46 PM »
Yeah, my company gave us the day off too, and is planning on keeping meetings sparse tomorrow for people to recover.  The main town hall here was completely packed but a different voting location down the street had like 10 people total there, so I was in and out as fast as I could fill everything out.  Been running errands all morning and there are a TON of road construction crews working today, which I guess makes sense if a lot of businesses and schools are out.

mn4nu

• Cookies: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 03:28:22 PM »
Dropped off my ballot weeks ago.  Hoping beyond hope that we have seen the end of the businessman experiment.

I never knew that about the MLK holiday fail.  Thanks for infoming us DnT.

Silverthorn

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 07:10:40 AM »
From the information we get here in Europe it doesn't look all that promising, I'm sorry to say.

syn

• aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 07:16:03 AM »
Wisconsin is likely to get called for Biden later this morning. If he also takes Michigan and Nevada, that should be enough. it's way too freaking close.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 08:18:23 AM »
Holy F*balls.

While Biden leads Trump is just going to get more desparate.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 10:24:24 AM »
From the information we get here in Europe it doesn't look all that promising, I'm sorry to say.

Your information is wrong.

Biden has this. Didn't get the Senate, unfortunately, but getting rid of the orange shitgibbon is a fair start. The 2022 Senate map looks really, really good for D's.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 12:05:19 PM »
This needs to be based solely on vote count.

It does look like Biden has it but it is really sad that this is so close.

mn4nu

• Cookies: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2020, 12:57:32 PM »
It looks like Gideon just conceded to Collins in Maine.  Dammit!!!!  Divided government is so fun.  Nothing will get done in the next 4 years.

It seems as though Trump is going to drag this out and go down in flames like the loser he is.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2020, 01:24:04 PM »
Nothing will get done in the next 4 years.

2 years. The 2022 Senate map looks way better than this one did. 22 R's up, with 6-8 by my count in potential flips, and 12 D's, mostly safe.

Anyway, let's take the victory before we start the doomsaying and down-talking this win.

The shitgibbon is getting evicted. We have a WoC in as VP. That's huge! HUGE! We flipped two senate seats and the only one we lost was never really blue to begin with. We still have the House. Delaware elected a transgender state senator! Texas is turning more blue every cycle. We are probably flipping Georgia (to be determined, but it's looking good). Tons of other ballot stuff passed. Marijuana won everywhere. Florida and part of Maine voted for a $15 minimum wage. Oregon decriminalized drug possession (all drugs, in small amounts).

It's easy to fall into "omg, but the senate" or "it should have been a blow out" but those were never super realistic. Things are still better now than yesterday. Breathe.

syn

• aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2020, 02:19:15 PM »
Senate situation puts an end to court reform. I suppose the current SC will get a good chance to show how bad it is.