Author Topic: Old Computer Quandry  (Read 748 times)

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 23
    • View Profile
Re: Old Computer Quandry
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2020, 09:34:40 AM »
According to this site the time of the release is 6amPST.  Or 1pm GMT.  Or 9am EST.  No clue if accurate but I have nothing else to go on.  So I guess I will be up early on Thursday. 

What a crappy time for my video card to have died.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2020, 04:27:30 PM »
According to this site the time of the release is 6amPST.  Or 1pm GMT.  Or 9am EST.  No clue if accurate but I have nothing else to go on.  So I guess I will be up early on Thursday. 

What a crappy time for my video card to have died.

Yep, truly shitty time to be needing a GPU. :(

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2020, 04:27:07 PM »
So, AMD did their release hype presentation thing today.

If you don't care about raytracing and just want raw performance, you could look into a 6800 (competes with 3070) or 6800XT (competes with 3080) in November. No signs that availability will be any better, but more cards = more chances, amirite? The 6xxx cards look to be cheaper than the equivalent Nvidia cards, so that's something. You do give up DLSS and raytracing, though. I mean, technically the AMD cards can do raytracing, but they don't have dedicated hardware for it. They brute force it instead, so performance is... not good.

Just something to look into.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2020, 08:09:40 AM »
I have an order number from Best Buy.

I might have succeeded.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-8gb-gddr6-pci-express-4-0-graphics-card-dark-platinum-and-black/6429442.p?skuId=6429442

That is the one I was able to add.

And I have confirmation email and estimated pick up of 11/4.

edit: Annndddd....sold out.  The pages I had ready now all show that is not available.  Part of me won't believe my luck until I have the thing in my hands.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 08:44:55 AM by Sssith »

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2020, 04:44:16 PM »
Oh ffs.

I mean, yay happy for you.

But godfuckingdammit all to hell.

I've been pounding F5 on every store ever since the 3080 released, trying to nab a 3080 or 3070 with zero luck and you just effortlessly land one.

FML.

mn4nu

• Cookies: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2020, 06:47:02 PM »
Maybe Sssith will sell you his (for a small profit, of course).

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2020, 08:06:54 PM »

Sorry that you didn't get lucky.  I do feel like I won an auction.

I had about 8 tabs open.  Amazon let add but it kept not actually loading.  Newegg and Evga went from available to sold out in a blink.  Best buy kept trying to add and telling me to wait.  I had three tabs with them.  All of a sudden I just landed in the cart.  After which I was frantically trying to check out.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2020, 09:21:30 PM »
Yeah. I've had a discord in-stock-alert bot open in a tab since mid-September, have every store page set with a chrome plugin that refreshes them every 15 seconds and alerts me if any change to "Add to cart"... and I never hit them. I might see them, but I can never complete the sale.

This morning I had one in my cart several times at Bestbuy just to lose it at the end. Last night, I had a 3080 in my cart at newegg and got past putting in payment and shipping info (which were already saved but it asked for again!) and after clicking the final "PAY NOW!" button, it went to "oops out of stock."

It's been an absolutely infuriating and frustrating experience. First time I've ever wanted a top end GPU at release *and* had the money to buy it, and no one will sell me one.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2020, 11:55:41 AM »
That is brutal.

I am looking forward to turning Ray Tracing on and DLSS.  I have read some what old threads that Witcher 3 will support it with an update.  I hope this has already happened as I am looking forward to getting back to the game.

I have to figure out what games currently support this stuff.

edit: Tomb Raider does.  I might have to go back and checkout the game.

edit 2:  Have yoiu tried in B & H?  They also get stock.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 12:03:28 PM by Sssith »

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2020, 05:38:15 PM »
Yep, B&H is on my watchlist.

I turned on raytracing in Tomb Raider for the lulz once. It brought my 1080 to a near standstill with everything else turned up, too. Like single-digit FPS iirc.  ;D

Of course, Control is kind of "the" game for raytracing right now, so that one just sits in my library... I don't want to play it until I can do so with all the eyecandy. You should check it out if you haven't already.

Let's see, others off the top of my head... Metro Exodus, Wolfenstein: Youngblood, Bright Memory, Battlefield V, Remnant: From the Ashes, the new Serious Sam, Watch Dogs (and the new one, of course)... maybe Doom 2016 (can't remember for sure on that one)...

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2020, 06:19:23 PM »
A lot of the cards seem to come with the new Watch Dog.  I don't see a mention of it with my purchase but I have a slight hope that it will be included.

It will be nice to have my gaming computer back when the card arrives.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2020, 06:58:50 PM »
A friend of mine that got a 3070 from Bestbuy yesterday morning just got an email that it's backordered...

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2020, 07:00:55 PM »
AFAIK only the 3080s come with Watch Dogs, and something like a year of Geforce Now.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2020, 09:47:03 PM »
The subscription thing is there, but I guess not Legion.

Sucks for your friend.  I hope that it doesn't happen to me.  Until I have it in my hands it's not a done deal.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2020, 11:14:47 PM »
And here ya go, Bright Memory has a free "ray tracing benchmark" version to show off all the insane purties and test performance. :D

Ray tracing is just stupidly awesome. It's clearly the Next Big Thing that every PC needs to be built for.