Author Topic: Nvidia 3xxx  (Read 183 times)

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 21
    • View Profile
Nvidia 3xxx
« on: September 01, 2020, 07:51:15 PM »
Soooo, what with today's release announcements from Nvidia, who else is stoked to buy a 3080 in 16 days that murders existing cards?

Gonna be a long two weeks... just hoping I can get one right away. My current GPU is showing its age.

Kasferatu

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Nvidia 3xxx
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 01:24:21 AM »
I'm excited. My 5700XT has been nothing but shit for the last year so I can't wait to be rid of it even if I'm gonna lose a load of cash in the process.

I haven't decided if I'll go 3070 or 3080 yet. I'll wait to see the price/performance difference first. I do want Cyberpunk to look glorious so the 3080 is tempting but I'm only gaming at 1440p so don't know if it will be necessary.

Sssith

• THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 12:09:04 PM »
Sadly it will be hard to justify the cost.  My current card is even older that yours.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 04:28:37 PM »
Apparently it's not going to be possible to preorder a 3080, so not much chance I'll be able to beat the bots to getting one, so that kind of sucks. :(

Melchior

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 07:43:08 PM »
I'm excited. My 5700XT has been nothing but shit for the last year

In what way?
I have been really happy with mine.

RED FOR LIEF

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 08:38:45 PM »
Most of the people I know with 5700s have been unhappy with them, either because of driver issues or the lack of raytracing support.

I was a pretty solid AMD/ATI fan for years, but then they just stopped being competitive. I hope they get back in the game, but it's not looking good for any time soon.

Melchior

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 06:20:51 PM »
Most of the people I know with 5700s have been unhappy with them, either because of driver issues or the lack of raytracing support.

I was a pretty solid AMD/ATI fan for years, but then they just stopped being competitive. I hope they get back in the game, but it's not looking good for any time soon.

I am definitely not quite as one-sided as I make out, but I have had zero driver issues so far and am yet to see a game where raytracing actually looks better to me...

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 07:25:14 PM »

I am definitely not quite as one-sided as I make out, but I have had zero driver issues so far and am yet to see a game where raytracing actually looks better to me...

/blink

Raytracing is mindblowing. I'm not sure what games you've seen it in, but if you haven't seen Control in full majesty, you're missing out.

Kasferatu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 02:15:55 AM »
I'm excited. My 5700XT has been nothing but shit for the last year

In what way?
I have been really happy with mine.

RED FOR LIEF

I get semi-regular game crashes, usually with a TDR error (perhaps 4 to 5 a week).  Sometimes the screen just goes black and although you can hear sound the PC needs a full reboot to recover.  Sometimes the PC just reboots itself!  This only happens in games, in desktop it is absolutely fine.  I've run memory tests and they all come back fine.  I assumed for the longest time it was just driver errors but I've been using practically every new driver since Sep 2019 and the problem persists throughout so I'm finally beginning to think it is hardware.  From the symptoms I figured the problem was most likely graphics card or perhaps PSU.  I have just recently borrowed a friends 1650 and haven't yet had a crash since I switched it in - fingers crossed! 

Kasferatu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 03:28:26 AM »
Cards up for sale today.  F5 keys at the ready.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 06:01:15 AM »
Yep, I have it queued up in 4 different storefronts, ready to F5 like mad at 9 AM my time.

Still not likely to beat the bots, but goddammit I'm gonna try!

Kasferatu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 08:34:03 AM »
I have an email saying I have ordered one right before the site went down.  Let's see if it arrives.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 08:54:08 AM »
I have an email saying I have ordered one right before the site went down.  Let's see if it arrives.

Something inspirational while you wait https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vpwg1wvB6E&

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 04:25:24 PM »
I did not beat any bots. I had 4 different stores open on two different screens, started refreshing like mad starting at 8:45 EST, and watched every single one go from "coming soon" to "out of stock" and never saw a "add to cart" button.

Fuck bots and scalpers forever.

Kasferatu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 01:38:48 AM »
I did not beat any bots. I had 4 different stores open on two different screens, started refreshing like mad starting at 8:45 EST, and watched every single one go from "coming soon" to "out of stock" and never saw a "add to cart" button.

Fuck bots and scalpers forever.

Well poo :( I'm still waiting to find out if I got one. The order is processed but it's "awaiting picking". Hoping they just have to pick and ship a lot so it's taking them a lot of time...