Author Topic: Election thread  (Read 286 times)

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 21
    • View Profile
Election thread
« on: August 21, 2020, 06:49:58 PM »
Yeah, we don't have one of these yet.

Post about the candidates. Thoughts, findings, whatever.

Have at thee!

Also, fuck Trump. :P

syn

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 11
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
Re: Election thread
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 08:40:50 PM »
random thoughts:

liked what i saw of most of the DNC speeches. standouts = both of the Obamas, Warren, and a good speech from Biden last night to cap it off. appeared genuine and empathetic, and was able to speak intelligently for half an hour. nice contrast on all counts with the current president.

was mightily amused that Bannon was arrested by the postal inspection service. he's still scheduled as a speaker at the RNC, of course.

Dejoy did himself no favors in his senate hearing this morning. be nice if something actually came of it.
"I know this is a big call to make but I'll just say it: Patrick Mahomes is so good he could be successful if Adam Gase coached him."

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 11:56:44 PM »
I listened to Bidenís speech this morning, found it a great contrast to the past years bullshit.

Sssith

• Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 01:58:34 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/22/us/asteroid-earth-november-2020-scn-trnd/index.html

An asteroid might hit the Earth the day before the election. Of course.  Because 2020.

mn4nu

• Cookies: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 06:00:38 PM »

syn

• aka Salem
    • View Profile
"I know this is a big call to make but I'll just say it: Patrick Mahomes is so good he could be successful if Adam Gase coached him."

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 08:41:39 PM »
probably a formality at this point, but there really is no republican party anymore.

Yeah. What's going to happen, I think, is that disaffected republicans are going to become democrats, pushing the democratic party right/center, and then the dem party will split off and our next two party system will be democrats vs progressives.

This is a thing that has happened several times in US history...

Kasferatu

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 05:12:10 AM »
probably a formality at this point, but there really is no republican party anymore.

Yeah. What's going to happen, I think, is that disaffected republicans are going to become democrats, pushing the democratic party right/center, and then the dem party will split off and our next two party system will be democrats vs progressives.

Democrats vs progressives would be way better than alt-right scumbags vs Democrats.

Sssith

• Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 12:42:42 PM »

Wow.

Agreed.  Just insane that Republicans think this is ok.

Democrats vs progressives would be way better than alt-right scumbags vs Democrats.

I would love to see this happen but there are so many things that will make things different from the last time this happened. I would expect a sub republican group to splinter off and try to take over the brand.  Much in the way that the Tea Party has over the last ten years.

http://www.liberalparty.org/LPofNY/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/TimelineofImportantUSPoliticalParties.pdf

That is a listing of political parties in the US.  There really haven't been that many given the age of the country.

mn4nu

• Cookies: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 12:59:05 PM »
I love how Trump's arguing that the country will go all to shit if Biden is elected.  Meanwhile, it's going to shit now under dipshit's leadership.

syn

• aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 06:05:19 PM »

i'd think the trump party would be thrilled with that result. could hang on to power as long as dems split their vote. it's one reason trump's there now, thanks in part to bernie types not voting for clinton. trump appealed to bernie voters at the convention last night, ffs. dems vs progs sounds nice at first but the trumpers aren't going anywhere.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 08:58:45 PM »
No, some of you didn't follow through what I was saying. I'm not saying it ends up dem vs prog as we know them, with the Trumpers just disappearing. I'm saying dems get shifted further and further right by absorbing conservatives (starting with the appeal to the moderate/non-trumpers), until the progressives get frustrated and split off... and what we call "Democrats" become what the "Republicans" were. In the end, the Democrat party just switches sides. Which has happened through a similar process in the past.

syn

• aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 06:37:53 PM »
RIP RBG.

So now what. Do a handful of Republicans break with McConnell or do they fill it? Does Biden threaten to add judges if they do?  Arghhghhgh
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 06:41:00 PM by syn »

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 06:38:59 PM »
GODFUCKINGDAMMIT