Sssith

• THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
Avowed
« on: July 23, 2020, 03:02:23 PM »
A Skyrim like game from Obsidian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS8n-pZQWWc

Here is too hoping it is good and also not an Epic exclusive.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 21
    • View Profile
Re: Avowed
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 04:11:57 PM »
Looks cool. I have no faith in Obsidian's ability to do open-world after New Vegas and The Outer Worlds were so bad, but if they keep it tight it could be really good.

Obsidian sure is cranking out games right now, aren't they? They have Grounded coming out next week and that looks just amazing - I'm buying that day 1.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 05:18:03 PM »
I loved New Vegas.  It didn't click the first time I tried to play it but I tried it again and loved it.  It had a slower beginning.

Outer Worlds seems to be pretty well received and is something I am looking forward to someday playing. 

I have heard you complain about them before, so I guess we disagree on them.

I have not heard of Grounded.  I am going to have to look that up.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 06:32:30 PM »
Outer Worlds is deceptive. It's amazing at first, and I probably praised it highly for a while. But after you get 15ish hours in, the incredible shallowness of it all hits you in the face hard. Virtually every person I know who played it long enough hit the same point. I know of few who finished the game, and most of those folks only did so out of stubbornness.

Now some people did love it fairly though. It definitely has its audience and fans.

New Vegas, well. Obsidian can write. What they can't do is make an open-world game feel anything but empty. They don't have Bethesda's talent for environmental storytelling and making it feel lived in. When they stick to focused stuff (see: Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny), they're better.

Grounded is basically Honey I Shrunk the Kids as a coop survival sim. CAN NOT WAIT. :D

Kasferatu

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 06:39:48 PM »
Looks cool. I have no faith in Obsidian's ability to do open-world after New Vegas and The Outer Worlds were so bad, but if they keep it tight it could be really good.

Obsidian sure is cranking out games right now, aren't they? They have Grounded coming out next week and that looks just amazing - I'm buying that day 1.

What Pixie meant to write was:  Fallout New Vegas and Outer Worlds are actually the best Bethseda games, even though Bethseda didn't make them.  Fallout 3/4 and the Elder Scrolls series just aren't nearly as interesting.

It was quite the typo!

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 06:50:22 PM »
I've never seen somebody quite so confidently wrong. ;)

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 11:03:01 AM »
Grounded:  The lost me at the coop point.  That requires friends that you want to play online with.   :P

And for the record I am with Kas.  :P

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 04:41:11 PM »
Grounded:  The lost me at the coop point.  That requires friends that you want to play online with.   :P

And for the record I am with Kas.  :P

99.3462% sure Grounded can be played solo too (which is how I play all survival games anyway).