Author Topic: Simple PC Joystick?  (Read 121 times)

D2Addict

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 1
    • View Profile
Simple PC Joystick?
« on: May 18, 2020, 07:00:50 PM »
So I have been doing retro games of all sorts lately and thought a joystick would be nice for some of them. I glanced a bit at some sites and found a huge amount of choices and some that were hundreds of dollars.

So, is there any simple but decent joystick for a PC anyone recommends? I assume USB would be best? I would like it to work with DOSBox and be usable maybe for some more modern games but I don't plan on doing any real time flight simulators where I need a dozen buttons.

Liquid Evil

• Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Simple PC Joystick?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 10:19:00 PM »
Like an 8-way joystick setup with 6-8 face buttons (and a couple of aux buttons) similar to a traditional arcade cabinet? Arcade sticks or fight sticks, basically? Is that what you're after? Just want to make sure we're on the same page. What type of games do you want to play?

D2Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 04:57:09 AM »
Like an 8-way joystick setup with 6-8 face buttons (and a couple of aux buttons) similar to a traditional arcade cabinet? Arcade sticks or fight sticks, basically? Is that what you're after? Just want to make sure we're on the same page. What type of games do you want to play?
Yes more of a traditional arcade setup 8-way and even a few buttons would be fine. Some old games are basic flight simulators but nothing that requires like thrust and a more complex setup.

Liquid Evil

• Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 12:47:30 PM »
Not sure about the best options for flight sims. I would think you'd need a more specialized joystick than what I had originally pictured. Look into Logitech products. If you were actually thinking something more akin to traditional fight sticks (more my area), then about the cheapest current gen fight stick options worth recommending are the Qanba Drone and the Mayflash F500. Since you only need it for PC functionality, you could get away with buying older models since PS3/360 ones often came with PC functionality and you would probably get more bang for your buck. Additionally, depending on your level of comfort with tech/assembly, then making your own could be a fun project. The enclosure and the PCB are usually the expensive parts, but with PC only, the PCB is more reasonable and you could just grab a Brook Zero Pi for $25. A Sanwa JLF (a pretty standard entry-level-but-still-arcadey joystick) is $20. 30mm Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons are pretty reasonable at maybe $2.50 a button. Customize the colors and button layout all to your liking for a suh-weet D2Addict original.

D2Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 07:41:00 AM »
Thanks for the ideas and choices. I have not picked out what I want quite yet.