Author Topic: Season 20: The Season of Crazy Cubing!  (Read 799 times)

Drozz

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Season 20: The Season of Crazy Cubing!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2020, 07:59:47 PM »
Went with monk at the beginning of the season. Didn't care for Uliana's, but found POJ eventually and moved to POJ tempest rush. It's pretty effective for farming. Got up over 500 paragon, so started a wizard with Vyr's. Only three pieces so far. Daveinthebasement was nice enough to jump on last week and power level her up to 70. Working the archon, and it looks cool. Now, I need to get the rest of Vyr's to see how powerful it can become. While going back and forth for shard farming with the monk, he found a primal Balance. So, I'll look into a couple builds around that in the future.

Orbert

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 152
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2020, 12:02:43 AM »
Got my WhirlyBarb up to running GR 75 or so, T16, so basically she's "done".  She's now my go-to Bounty runner, just because she moves so fast.  At this point, it's just a matter of finding Ancient gear, buffing them up, pushing for higher GR levels, etc.

Along the way, she'd managed to collect all the new Barb set pieces.  I'd forgotten that Barbs got a new set, too, which cranks up Frenzy.  I tried it out, kinda half-assed, by converting my Whirly setup to Frenzy, but it wasn't working, so I switched back to Whirly.  Then an Ancient Bastion's Revered dropped (Frenzy stacks 10 times instead of 5, plus some other weird bonus that I can't remember right now), so I figured I'd give it another shot.

It made a huge difference, as you might expect.  Basically it makes the build, although the Ancient Undisputed Champion (Frenzy gains the effects of every rune, plus cranks the damage) I already had certainly helped.  I like to try to figure out my own builds when I can, see how far I can get, before peeking at the IcyVeins build guides, and I haven't peeked yet.  Managed to run some GR75 and she ran some T16 cows, so I figure she's doing alright.

Cluck Kent

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2020, 09:30:01 AM »
Hey Orbert, I agree that Frenzy set is a fun set to run. Unfortunately, Blizz didn't make it as strong or as fast as the Whirly Barb so it's not getting the love it deserves. But it is fun to play and still strong and fast.

My go to bounty runner now though is my Wiz with the new Hydra set. All you need to find is an Aether Walker and it is da bomb for general rifting and bounties. The mobility is insane and it feels like the 2 frost hydras I use are like having 10 pets you can position to either kill or protect you as you stop to pick stuff up and look around. Fast or slow, it's my favorite build now for Torment rifts and bounties. Also very good HC.

Orbert

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2020, 10:17:26 AM »
My Hydra Wiz is also very good and very fast (plus she's cuter).  I was going with her when I'd traditionally gone with a Demon Hunter for Bounties.  I pulled out my UE Demon Hunter the other day, just to compare, and she still rips through Bounties of course, but the Hydra Wiz seemed a bit faster, and the WhirlyBarb seems faster still.  Plus there's the "convenience factor" (more like "laziness factor" -- ha ha) of just pushing the Whirlwind key (#2 for me) and holding it down while you Whirl nonstop through the entire map, destroying everything, picking up goodies without even stopping.

But they're all different, which is the glorious thing about D3.  The different classes all feel different to me, and play differently.  Sure, you're basically running random maps over and over, kinda doing the same things over and over and just watching the numbers get bigger, but there's enough variety to keep me interested.  As long as they keeping adding new stuff, I'll have new stuff to check out.  Not bad for a game I haven't spent a penny on since the Necro expansion pack.

Orbert

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2020, 06:11:24 PM »
Hey Orbert, I agree that Frenzy set is a fun set to run. Unfortunately, Blizz didn't make it as strong or as fast as the Whirly Barb so it's not getting the love it deserves.

That's just a shame.  So many gamers have this mentality that if it's not the most powerful thing ever, then there's no point.  This is a huge contributor to the power creep phenomenon, probably the main one.  Every time they introduce something new, it has to up the game.  Nowadays, if you can't clear GR 100 in five minutes, why bother?

I don't care if it's the most powerful thing ever.  I'm just looking for something different and fun to play.  I've always liked Frenzy, ever since D2 days, so for me, this is awesome.  I just cleared a GR 80 using a Frenzy build that I literally made up myself out of pieces I've found.  To me, that's the fun.  It's the challenge, figuring it out, and making it happen.

Oh well, to each their own.  I'm still having fun.

Cluck Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2020, 10:49:52 PM »
Have you used the Aether Walker with the Hydra Wiz? It's the only way I've been playing it lately. Super fast - that's the version I was referring to regarding bounty running.

Orbert

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2020, 11:57:14 PM »
You mean teleporting everywhere to save time?  I might try that, but honestly, I've tried using teleport before (years ago), and didn't really like it.  The mechanics of it aren't the same as teleport from D2, and I guess I didn't get the hang of it right away, so I gave up.

Like I said, I might try it.  Gotta wait for another Aether Walker to drop, though.

Cluck Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2020, 08:00:22 PM »
I guess being speedy in bounties is a good thing, but I really like to explore, do full clears, run rifts all the way to end. With teleport on demand I don't waste a lot of time running back down empty hallways or through large sparsely populated floors in order to explore all the side paths.   

hurtlocker

• Cookies: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2020, 11:53:34 AM »
I was on yesterday to play and decided to start a new SC toon as I have been playing only HC on the American server.  None of our clan
was online so I asked for a PL from general chat. This guy I don't know comes on and says he will PL me, so its all good. Well, that was an
understatement, he not only PL me but ran through vaults, several two man GR 80's and he dumped all the Legs he found so I had some
equipment to start with. He got me to Paragon 250 quick too.  Just when I thought all the nice guys were in our clan this dude comes along.
 I think he was an Aussie because he was calling me "mate".  A ray of sunshine in these shitty times!   

Orbert

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2020, 04:42:05 PM »
That's cool!  Once in a while it's nice to be reminded that there are cool people out there.

Orbert

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2020, 04:23:54 PM »
Hey, we're doing double goblins these days?  I had a pair yesterday, then several pairs today.  I didn't see anything about it, but it seems to be going on.

Got double Gelatinous Sires, and couldn't see through all the loot to kill the little few little ones.  Oh well.

Cluck Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2020, 09:21:30 AM »
Good to know, thanks Orbert

Drozz

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2020, 08:04:09 PM »
Yeah, it's on the main page. 2x goblins for the rest of season 20. Except Insufferable Miscreant.

I got 2x menagerist yesterday. That was cool. 2 different pets dropped.

Drozz

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2020, 08:04:05 PM »
So, what are the rules on power leveling? When I rushed one of my son's toons a while ago, we were limited to only running the rifts he was qualified for. Why can't we run at my level? We could level him quicker that way.

Cluck Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2020, 09:17:06 PM »
You can only power level to 70 on T6. Once his character is at level 70 he should be able to join any GR you open.