Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
Wolcen
« on: February 12, 2020, 08:44:36 PM »
https://store.steampowered.com/app/424370/Wolcen_Lords_of_Mayhem/

I'd sort of heard talk of this game in the last few years, now you can buy it on early access.   I can see already at least 3 forumites have it, what is your experience with it so far?

Helps to fill the hype train with no idea of a release date or no D4 news in a while.

dave in the basement

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Wolcen
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 08:38:56 AM »
I just bought it yesterday, before it officially launches today and jumps up $15. I haven't had the chance to fire it up, yet, but hope to do so this weekend.

One of my friends has had it for a long time, and fired it up yesterday and said it's a whole different experience (in a good way) and the game finally feels finished and fleshed out.

Sssith

• Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 02:47:40 PM »
It looks interesting.  Something to keep an eye on at the very least.

Cluck Kent

• Cookies: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 10:26:56 PM »
I might give it a go after they've had a chance to patch some of the bugs I've read about. It looks like Diablo with new characters and skills.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 09:51:41 AM »
I am having fun despite the bugs.

Last night I had to run an area three or four times as the game froze each time I got near the end of the level. 

Part of the trick I have found is to 'slow your roll'.  Literally don't spam all your skills in a heavy fight.  I think too much happens and the game craps out.  Now that is not something you have to do all the time just if you run into a situation where the game freezes repeatedly.  It has happened twice to me and slowing my roll seemed to help both times.

My pistol/shield continues to progress nicely.  Almost done with Act 2.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 10:45:10 AM »
So I hit level 46 and I have started in on the end game content.  Trying to figure out the most efficient use of my time.

I have made it this far without fully dying and have dinged the associated achievements.  Two more to go, which I do not think I will be able to get.  The game has an Act 1,2, and 3 achievement for not dying.  It also has a level 60, and 90 one.  We shall see.  Not sure how much longer the game will hold my interest

Cluck Kent

• Cookies: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 06:55:20 PM »
Not sure how much longer the game will hold my interest

I had read that the skill tree was far more in depth than that of D3. What are your thoughts on it? Why do you think you're losing interest so quickly? Is it too much like D3? Are there not several different character classes to develop? Small world size?

I was seriously considering trying Wolcen but if interest starts to sputter at 40-50 hours of game play, I'll probably not.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 10:57:05 PM »
I think there is a lot of gameplay to be had.  I played through the main storyline two and times and I had fun doing so. I've just started the end game and I am not sure if it will keep my interest.  Generally, none of these end games keep my interest long.  D3 has the benefit of starting from scratch.  BL has finding the right gear.  Wolcen has city building type of questing.  I would say that Wolcen has a more varied end game content than others.  There are a bunch of different builds that you can do and try.  It is possible that it will keep my interest.  Generally, I like things that are more story-driven.  I think there is a lot to do if you find you enjoy the city building side of things.  Overall I think Wolcen is worth playing.