Author Topic: Aussie Bushfires  (Read 270 times)

Dust

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
Aussie Bushfires
« on: January 29, 2020, 03:09:59 AM »
I'm not starting a topic to talk about them, but thought you guys might be interested in seeing just how fast a firefront can be.

This 2 minute video was shot in early January in Southern New South Wales.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2435387696711232

mn4nu

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 23
    • View Profile
Re: Aussie Bushfires
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 08:27:59 AM »
Wow, that is terrifying.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 10:38:22 AM »
Yeah I had been considering a post about this a while back. Sounds like the number of fires and shear volume of land burnt is just insane compared to previous years and at least 6 times the size burnt in the Amazon rain forest.

I saw this video which freaked me out https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/video/2019/dec/31/australian-firefighters-capture-moment-truck-overrun-bushfire-video
One moment the fire is in the distance while they are driving in something that appears post apocalyptic. Next thing the fire is ON them and everywhere. Apparently if the temperature reaches a certain point everything flammable just ignites.

Amazing how those trucks are built!

Here in nz we have had smoke blow over from the bushfires and itís just an annoyance but Iíve never remembered that in any other year.
Also the average temperature in all of My country vs Australia is just so much less even though some bits latitude is the same

Sssith

• THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 02:52:51 PM »
It is terrifying.  I had to evacuate briefly this last fire season in California.  It is a stark reminder that when you get the call to evacuate you need to move.

Thankfully my situation was no near as dire as what that was like.