Author Topic: Replay of Half Life games  (Read 354 times)

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
Replay of Half Life games
« on: January 20, 2020, 08:59:30 PM »
With the hype around the upcoming Alyx, and the realisation I  won't be actually playing it any time soon, it got me thinking that about from the Black Mesa mod, I haven't played Half Life 1 or 2 in some time. 

So to rectify that, I'm thinking of redoing these

HL1 Hazard Course
Half Life 1 (yes even Xen)
Hazard Course for security guards
Half Life Blue Shift (quite short and not as fun as the others
Boot camp
Half Life Opposing Force

Half Life 2
Half Life 2 ep 1
Half Life 2 ep 2

And then be sad that I got to the end of the journey.

Sssith

• Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Replay of Half Life games
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 09:20:57 PM »
You should add Portal and Portal 2 to that list.

Not sure that the early stuff is worth playing at this point.  HL2 is still good though.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 03:04:30 AM »
I forgot half life uplink. The demo of hl1 which was different content. Iíve been on a 90s FPS binge so hl1 isnít too old for me. Iíll even play with original textures.

Thanks for the portal ideas. Been ages since Iíve been through portal2. Played some portal 2 with my daughter

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 04:39:31 PM »
Free half life for two months

https://www.polygon.com/2020/1/21/21075646/half-life-free-steam-valve-pc-alyx-vr

They have the same idea as me. Last night I got to the start of apprehension which is the chapter of the giant fish and later the black ops troops

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 05:53:33 PM »
I was about to post it also.  Personally to busy with other games.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 05:04:47 PM »
Last night I heard about Half Life Decay for the first time https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life:_Decay

So it started as Playstation only .. but some years later a mod for PC came out.

It was made by Gearbox, but before they were full asshole.
Built for split screen coop .. but can be soloed

TWO FEMALE protaganists.,

So I'll try it out before getting to Half Life 2.

Dust

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 2
    • View Profile

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 11:30:59 PM »
Yes I have!!! And Iíve played up to xen getting the 25 current available achievements.

This is the version of half life 1 sssith should play. Hl2 engine and looks amazing. Many areas with extra detail or slight tweaks and extra rooms compared to the original.  But for me it was a double edged sword. There were bits of omg this is brand new I have to look! Vs Iím looking forward to ... oh they just changed something I enjoyed and looked forward to.

The major set pieces you can recognise and work out what they are inspired by.

Iíll do the alien levels once the next patch hits and achievements are live

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 03:36:18 PM »
Hard mode can be a bit of a dick with limited health. I'm up to the second (and final) black ops fight. You can't see them at all, then they start shooting you multiple times.  I'm out of some of the best ammo.   Should be in Xen tonight .. maybe finish it depending on time free.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 04:24:01 PM »
Got past that fight ok, phew, made fast progress, got up to Xen, no real hard parts, I knew the route, didn't go to too many side rooms.  Got to Gonarch and after the 2nd wave of the fight .. and the game completely broke.  I've NEVER had that before, but on the forums quite a few others had.  Seems if you go to an optional healing pool, the boss loses track of you.  The problem is the boss MUST move to a section .. to die in another section and open the next bit.

I once got it to work, got through .. and died.  I forgot to save and there was no auto save.

The few quick saves and auto saves are all bugged.  I tried changing the map (worked) no guns etc, couldnt' get commands to give me things .. sigh.

so fired up blue shift.  Did the training course and started the 4th of 8 chapters.  God this game is the low point of the series.  Its mainly sparse and not as much effort as they put into Opposing Force.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 06:25:11 AM »
Over the last days I finished blue shift, then back to half life 1 but on easy. Blew through the whole game in two sittings :) then tonight half life uplink (demo) and really that was a trip down memory lane. Short but sweet. Then fired up opposing force. Boot camp is a lot of fun. Did 9 of the 12 chapters.  Next time Iíll finish that and check out decay before getting to half life 2

Study is just around the corner so will be a run on easy

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 12:28:49 PM »
End of opposing force was intense but good, not too challenging. Ended up firing up half life 2 and Iím on the airboat when I finished for the night

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 08:39:20 PM »
The other night I pushed on with water hazard, my driving and aiming seemed a little off, but I didn't go to many side areas.  Eli's lab sorta sucks after lots of playthroughs.  You are just waiting for the next dialogue so you can get outside and move onwards.   I did Ravenholm with only the gravity gun for old times, was fun.  Wasn't sure where I would stop with the buggy.  Ended up further than I thought I would. 

That bit with the bridge you go under, then later drive on top and race the train .. well someone decided to change that encounter.  It seems you can no longer beat it, and the train hits you and kills you, even if you appear to beat it. 

You now have to drive out, trigger the train, back up, let it pass, then drive along and out.  Its boring as hell.  All my other playthroughs, you'd just drive, hear the train coming, hit turbo and see the train coming, you see the gap and its a massive game of chicken, but i'd get out, always .. it seemed riskier than it was.  I later looked up and found many others had the same problem. 

Oh well saved and quit for that night just after that.  Next time will have to park it, get the antlions/nova prospect etc.  Some great content ahead!

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 09:52:42 AM »
I wonder if they did that to slow down speed runs.

I loved doing Ravenholm with only the gravity gun.  Probably my favorite achievement.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 10:43:02 AM »
Speedruns donít even touch the car. They use this physics glitch where you pick up and item and someone begin flying if you do it right... between that and a thing where trying to slow people down who ran too fast so they thought ďif the player is running to fast. Then ADD backwards speed to slow them down! Result. Speed runner run BACKWARDS and have a way to go much faster with more acceleration than ever intended!

Go to 14:37 at this video https://youtu.be/LnFjTG9J-T8 for an idea of some things you can do