Author Topic: UK general election  (Read 7620 times)

Kasferatu

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
Re: UK general election
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2019, 12:40:19 PM »
Officially requesting refugee status. Who's willing to take me?

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile

syn

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 10
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2019, 09:17:09 PM »
fun day today... poor BJ.
Buttigieg on Trump: "It is the nature of grotesque things that you can't look away."  5/19/19

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2019, 07:57:08 PM »
I predict May resigns for making things worse.  Next PM calls an election in 2 years to get more stability ..

Shit, how about that!  Have a read over this thread, and I called it.  Also Godji talked about his eventual move to Canada :)

Darkness

• Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2019, 07:10:20 AM »
No idea how this sorry shitshow is going to turn out. A Tory majority would be awful, as that would mean the awful Brexit deal gets rammed through Parliament and all the horror which follows. More importantly, the Tories are dodging the issue of climate change, which means the UK will be in a bad position on that post election.

A Tory minority Government just means more of the same inertia and, by the looks of things in NI, they won't have the DUP to call upon.

With the media smear campaign against them, I don't see Labour being able to pull off a majority. The Lib Dems may gain a few seats on a pro-remain ticket but, they won't gain enough to form a majority whatever happens.

It is a colossal shitshow and it feels me with the fear.

Kasferatu

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2019, 08:30:20 AM »
Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Cluck Kent

• Cookies: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2019, 12:24:07 PM »
Shocking, but labour should have known better than that. JC and his platform were waaaaaay out there. Talk about mistake after mistake. I feel bad for the next few years in England.

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2019, 06:06:01 AM »
JC and his platform were waaaaaay out there.

No not really. Not even remotely.
But, here we are. The UK electorate had the opportunity to effect real positive change for the first time in almost 40 years and they pissed it away.

So we'll be back to a centrist-right Labour party of mendacity and mediocrity as per Blair and there will be no real change.

Kasferatu

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2019, 07:23:06 AM »

But, here we are. The UK electorate had the opportunity to effect real positive change for the first time in almost 40 years and they pissed it away.

So we'll be back to a centrist-right Labour party of mendacity and mediocrity as per Blair and there will be no real change.

And that's of we're lucky. With the way the media is here, and the way Boris and co treats parliament, the Supreme Court etc we'll be lucky if we ever find a way to remove then from power.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2019, 10:48:57 AM »
I read that by the next election that the only time labour will have won an election in the 50 years prior was with tony blair. That shocked me

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2019, 11:09:27 AM »
When you see how horribly right-wing biased the UK news media has come, it won't surprise you. The only reason Blair won because he was neo-liberal, centre-right, politician. Nothing too scary for the Murdoch press there.

Cluck Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2019, 12:52:36 PM »

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-britains-labour-unveils-radical-and-ambitious-platform-calling-for/

I don't know if that link will work so I'll just quote this one bit:

"On Thursday the Labour Party promised a sweeping overhaul of the economy and an increase in public spending and taxes to levels not seen in generations. The party is promising “the most radical and ambitious plan to transform our country in decades,” leader Jeremy Corbyn said after unveiling his party’s platform in Birmingham.

Labour’s manifesto calls for massive spending increases for health care, social programs, infrastructure and education. The party also wants to nationalize huge parts of the economy, including energy suppliers, railway operators, the Royal Mail – which was privatized in 2013 – water companies and the internet arm of telecom giant BT. A Labour government would also force companies to give employees a 10-per-cent ownership stake, and any publicly traded company that fails to combat climate change would be delisted from the stock exchange, according to the manifesto. The party also plans a host of giveaways, including free broadband for everyone, free basic dental care, free postsecondary education and a program to upgrade every home to “the highest energy-efficiency standards.”

I'm a Canuck so I only have an outsider's view, but this is what I based my comment on. Big things rarely ever happen at once. Really change takes time and either finesse or catastrophe. It just felt to me that what Labour was suggesting was too big a step for the ave. citizen to swallow. I don't know how effective terming the platform 'radical' could be in the conservative U.K. HE might have well as used the word communist to the average joe or joelene.

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2019, 08:07:52 AM »
Labour’s manifesto calls for massive spending increases for health care, social programs, infrastructure and education. The party also wants to nationalize huge parts of the economy, including energy suppliers, railway operators, the Royal Mail – which was privatized in 2013 – water companies and the internet arm of telecom giant BT. A Labour government would also force companies to give employees a 10-per-cent ownership stake, and any publicly traded company that fails to combat climate change would be delisted from the stock exchange, according to the manifesto. The party also plans a host of giveaways, including free broadband for everyone, free basic dental care, free postsecondary education and a program to upgrade every home to “the highest energy-efficiency standards.”

This just reads like right-wing media dross to me.

I'm a Canuck so I only have an outsider's view, but this is what I based my comment on. Big things rarely ever happen at once. Really change takes time and either finesse or catastrophe. It just felt to me that what Labour was suggesting was too big a step for the ave. citizen to swallow. I don't know how effective terming the platform 'radical' could be in the conservative U.K. HE might have well as used the word communist to the average joe or joelene.

There's so much wrong with this, so I'll it one piece at a time.

Big things rarely happen at once - the privatisation of service Labour proposed to return to public control, happened within one term of a Tory Government. If it is acceptable for the policy to go one way quickly, then it is acceptable to go the other way.

Change takes time - this is a meaningless phrase, as what is meant by "time" is not defined.

It just felt to me that what Labour was suggesting was too big a step for the ave. citizen to swallow - judging by the  substantial % share of the vote Labour got, that's clearly not the case. The right wing media and brexit did for Labour this time round. They can certainly build on these policies to attract more voters in the future. If they roll back to the middle ground, they will lose the considerable youth vote they gained since 2015.

HE might have well as used the word communist to the average joe or joelene. - this is precisely what the right-wing media did in their McCarthy-esque hatchet job.

Cluck Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2019, 01:23:08 PM »
As I said, I was simply basing my comments on that article, and was interested in getting your take. I certainly don't have the insight to reply intelligently to your meaningful comments.