Author Topic: Democratic challengers for next year  (Read 843 times)

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Democratic challengers for next year
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2020, 04:17:27 PM »
So Bernie is doing well so far.

One comment as an outsider and partly what i see from some people on Facebook, your current system for Healthcare is just broken, and while people talk about trying to improve/fix it there are a lot of options.  Its one thing to just say "capitalism is broken" but there are plenty of capitalist countries that don't screw you over if you are sick or have a preexisting condition.   

How much of it is a desire to get away from capitalism, vs far right people who think "if you want change then you can't be capitalist/AMERICAN" (lol) I'm not sure.  Look at the NHS in the UK among many things.

I'm part of a few private facebook groups for diseases etc.  Most people talk about the disease/symptoms etc.  For Americans its a mix of that, but a heavy focus on insurance/coverage, but also "which clinic do you go to and who is your surgeon etc".    In some ways I can understand wanting the best treatment, but for my 3 surgeries over the last 3 years I was just happy to have a trained and competent surgeon.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2020, 07:32:53 PM »
Tom Steyer will stay a while. He has money to burn.

I called it that he would be the next to withdraw, I see Pete is now out too, which makes me a bit sad in a way.

I predict Amy will drop out next ..

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2020, 08:41:00 PM »
I see Pete is now out too, which makes me a bit sad in a way.

Pete is awful and it's good that he is out.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2020, 07:07:05 PM »
*chewing popcorn*.  In other countries I sometimes follow elections, more like following a sporting event, you have your one you prefer and like to see them get over the line, but if they don't, oh well. 

This though is something I haven't followed as closely before.  so far both Bloomberg and Warren trailing, but early days

syn

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 11
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2020, 09:12:22 PM »
NWS Twin Cities   @NWSTwinCities 21h
We are forecast to be pretty warm by week's end. This contrasts with the usual temperature of our soul.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2020, 09:19:21 PM »
Why is Minnesota special?

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2020, 10:08:53 PM »
Why is Minnesota special?

Before Klob dropped out, Biden wasn't expected to get a single delegate there.

Her last-minute endorsement apparently made all the difference.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2020, 10:16:37 PM »
ah, i'm seeing talk of his result in South Carolina helping with momentum, even in places where he had hardly spent anything. 

Darkness

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2020, 05:51:02 AM »
I'm disappointed I've seen so much pro-Warren commentary and pro-Biden. Of the two, I'd rather Warren was still in but, its frustrating to think anyone progressive would choose her over Bernie.
That anyone would choose Biden over Bernie is kinda crazy.

syn

• aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2020, 09:22:25 AM »
apparently people think biden's a stronger candidate against trump than bernie would be. after the last week, i think that's likely true. beating trump is objective number 1, all else is secondary. practical, not crazy.

We are forecast to be pretty warm by week's end. This contrasts with the usual temperature of our soul.

Darkness

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2020, 11:55:36 AM »
apparently people think biden's a stronger candidate against trump than bernie would be. after the last week, i think that's likely true. beating trump is objective number 1, all else is secondary. practical, not crazy.

Sadly that's just race to the bottom politics and is likely to go the same way for Biden as it did for Hilary. People want change.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2020, 04:22:13 PM »
I'm disappointed I've seen so much pro-Warren commentary and pro-Biden. Of the two, I'd rather Warren was still in but, its frustrating to think anyone progressive would choose her over Bernie.
That anyone would choose Biden over Bernie is kinda crazy.

I would take Warren day after day after day over Bernie. Sorry.

Sssith

• Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2020, 05:38:03 PM »
Warren voter here.  Warren >> Sanders >>>>> Biden.  I think the difference between Warren and Sanders is pretty small overall.  She, to me, is that much more capable.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2020, 05:43:46 PM »
I voted for her.

The difference between Warren's and Sander's actual ideas were minor, but I felt she was leagues ahead in actually having sensible, actionable plans for implementation, instead of just "angry old man ranting." She is much more charismatic - people who actually heard her speak almost always came away with a positive impression. She is bright and articulate and easy to listen to. I believe she'd make a more capable and functional leader. And -- no small thing -- she's significantly younger and healthier than Bernie. A few years may not seem like much but at that age, a few years can make a world of difference.

syn

• aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2020, 05:48:22 PM »
to modify slightly:

Warren >> Sanders >>>>> Biden >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Trump.

at this point i just want a unified democratic party going into the general election.