Author Topic: Microsoft and games  (Read 82 times)

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
Microsoft and games
« on: June 24, 2019, 06:54:38 PM »
I've been thinking a bit recently about the massive change they have done recently. 10 years ago it was a very different situation.  We had the garbage fire that was Games for Windows Live which thankfully died a death, and at least some of the titles removed it and moved to other supporting tech .. but sadly not GTA IV.  We had great games (Halo2) not available unless you had an operating system no gamer wanted to touch (Vista).  At least it worked on Windows 7 and up.    We then had other Halo titles just NEVER coming to PC, even though the first two we had to wait a year or two then got them.   We also had 6 years ago or so the way things were headed Valve was not happy and looked to their Steam Machines/Steam OS which didn't happen, but may have helped steer Microsoft to a different path.  I'm guessing their next XBox console launch will learn from the many failures at the start of the last one too ..

Now we have the Master Chief Collection for Halo coming to Steam.  We have all of the Age of Empires remastered games coming to steam.  Previously I had partly thought of getting AOE1 remastered from the Windows Store .. but its the freaking Windows Store.  There are other games but after those 2 franchises I'm not sure I have room for much other excitement!

They have even releasing a few things on their store which were epic exclusives (not sure how that works out but its for the best).    They are working with so many others they would have just seen as competitors.  Now they are doing things to make it better for us, the gamers. 

Seeing the confusingly named subscription model that is basically Netflix but for games is pretty cool too. 

Its awesome to see them drop the arrogance, to listen to what customers want, to offer choice and I'm sure they are building up a lot of goodwill around the place.  Anyone else view them differently to the past?

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft and games
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 08:25:00 PM »
I never really had any bad will toward them to begin with. GFWL was never awesome but it never gave me any problems. I never gave two shits about Halo.

And on this subject: the PC Gamepass is fabulous. I paid a buck for the first month and then it's $4.99/mo after that and there's a bazillion great games on there. Bonus: I get to spit in Epic's face and play some "Epic exclusive" titles like Operencia and Metro Exodus. Even if there's only one AAA game on there in an entire year, it would make the $5/mo sub pay for itself.

So uh... hey guys, get the PC Gamepass. :D

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 11:53:21 PM »
Imagine if your favourite game in 2007 could not be played on XP, unless you had Vista .. 2 whole years before Windows 7 came out.  Would you have put Vista on?  Or waited and grumped :P

Kasferatu

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 02:34:32 PM »
I'm also enjoying the 1 gamepass (apparently we have to pay 27% more than you in the states!).  Already tried 3-4 games so easily got my money's worth.