Author Topic: Rise of Skywalker  (Read 799 times)

dave in the basement

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of Skywalker
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2019, 10:29:05 AM »
I really loved the trailer. I thought those were some cool new speederbikes coming through one of the smoke clouds, but when I slowed it down, it looks like they are rocket troopers, or something along those lines. Too cool!

We may need to spit this discussion into a couple parts and reconvene in The Argument Chamber. :D

Kasferatu

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2019, 11:08:02 AM »
For my position.  I don't think TLJ was a bad film as such, but for me it was a bad Star Wars film and it is riddled with plot holes - most of all I have a lot of problems with the overall story arch of the new trilogy.

All that said, I'm not going to say anything about people who enjoyed it.  We all enjoy different things and we all get to decide individually if we are Star Wars fans or not :)

Sssith

• THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2019, 12:03:03 PM »
Whatever else we do in this thread, can we at least not take it to a personal level?

I am more on Max's side that TLJ is not a good film.  But it is the film we have so I try to enjoy it as best I can.

I wish SW1 and SW2 didn't exist.  SW3 a little bit salvaged the first 3 films.  SW4, SW5 are the golden movies.  SW6 is were things started to go wrong, but the movie overall was fine. SW7 was enjoyable but didn't really do anything too interesting with the story.  SW8 really lousy for a lot of reasons and I do really want to get into them.  The main problem for me was Luke's storyline, but that is hardly the only problem.  SW9, well I am looking forward to it.  Do I trust them with the story?  No, I don't.  I am getting the impression that they are going to try to 'fix' some of the problems of SW8.  Which if that is the case makes me really mad.  It speaks to the fact that they didn't have a good vision for the story arc from SW7-9.  They should be telling us to hold tight, that it will all come together in a way that makes sense. 

I will go see SW9 when it comes out and I am looking forward to it.  But I have long ago given up hope for SW stories that go in a direction I think makes sense.  It is one of the reason I enjoyed Rogue One and the Han Solo movie so much.

syn

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 9
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2019, 01:50:30 PM »
I am getting the impression that they are going to try to 'fix' some of the problems of SW8.  Which if that is the case makes me really mad.  It speaks to the fact that they didn't have a good vision for the story arc from SW7-9.  They should be telling us to hold tight, that it will all come together in a way that makes sense. 

agree that there should've been a well-planned story arc. seemed clear after the last jedi that there was not.

I will go see SW9 when it comes out and I am looking forward to it.  But I have long ago given up hope for SW stories that go in a direction I think makes sense.  It is one of the reason I enjoyed Rogue One and the Han Solo movie so much.

loved Rogue One, hated Solo. prequels almost always suck (while technically a prequel, rogue one had an entirely new cast with no predetermined fate). plus, ford's shoes were way too big for the guy that replaced him. plus, ron howard hasn't directed anything good in years.
Buttigieg on Trump: "It is the nature of grotesque things that you can't look away."  5/19/19

Sssith

• THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2019, 02:25:53 PM »
Not sure what is to hate with Solo.  Simple, fun story IMO.  Yes Ford has a certain innate swagger that no one should try to replicate but I thought the actor did well enough.

The one-off stories get to stand on their own merits and while the trilogies need to be a cohesive whole.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2019, 03:16:24 PM »
Rogue one was great. You knew where it would end up but not what would happen on the way. I fell asleep watching solo on a plane and when I woke I did not go back. I saw him get chewy I have no desire to spend more time on it

Pixie

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2019, 04:18:00 PM »
Not sure what is to hate with Solo.  Simple, fun story IMO.  Yes Ford has a certain innate swagger that no one should try to replicate but I thought the actor did well enough.

The one-off stories get to stand on their own merits and while the trilogies need to be a cohesive whole.

Clearly you're not a true fan.

;)

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2019, 04:18:33 PM »
Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie. Fite me.

Lego

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2019, 08:17:49 PM »
Gotta agree.

I liked Solo more than I thought I would. The problem I have with prequels like that is that there's no suspense. We know everything will be alright with Han and that no matter what happens he's going to land on his feet. Still an enjoyable 2 hours tho.

I'm so stoked for the new one tho. Dat trailer  ;D

Lego

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2019, 10:56:30 PM »
I just watched the trailer for the 1,000,000th time. Are those Mandalorians on some kind of speeder bikes?

mn4nu

• Cookies: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2019, 06:01:07 PM »
I loved Rogue One.  It might be my favorite Star Wars movie.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2019, 06:10:17 PM »
I loved Rogue One.  It might be my favorite Star Wars movie.

You're good people.

narsica

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 9
  • Resident angry Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2019, 11:06:36 PM »
retarded

Goddamn it. As a parent of a kid with a developmental disability, stop using this fucking word. I don't care if you are right about TLJ, fucking eliminate this word from your fucking vocabulary.

Feel the reckless running of your heart

Darkness

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2019, 07:49:03 AM »
I'm ok with the trailer, although I thought the opening with Rey leaping over the TIE fighter was just daft and that did nothing for me.

After the delight that was Solo, the bar for the next SW movie has been raised very high for me. The shot of Lando in the Falcon peaked my enthusiasm but, the laugh of Palpatine at the end just had me going "orly?" So mixed feelings about this one. For the record I really enjoyed TLJ, far far more so than TFA and right now my enthusiasm for RoS is closer to TFA levels.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2019, 01:38:21 PM »