Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 51489 times)

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 20
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #780 on: February 23, 2020, 01:59:08 PM »
And.... 10 minutes after I post, a completely uninteresting mook drops a unique staff that is completely bonkers for level 15... but of course, I'm playing a rogue. Guess I'll store it for the mage!

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: February 23, 2020, 02:02:18 PM »
Look in the Ranger tree at Persistence Hunting for something that I find useful for a warrior. 25% extra damage to enemies suffering from a move speed affect (stasis, slow, freeze, or stun). Considering how easy/often warriors apply stun, it's some easy extra damage.

Sssith

• THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: February 23, 2020, 05:10:41 PM »
Yeah.  I think I am heading there next, there are also some Crit bonuses on the way.

That was a drop. O-O.  Sweet.  Would've been better if you could use it right away.  But that is a thing that could last 15 levels.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #783 on: February 23, 2020, 05:15:26 PM »

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: February 23, 2020, 05:32:47 PM »
So my rogue beat the act 1 boss on the first try without breaking a sweat. Definitely much stronger than my warrior was. Interesting.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: February 23, 2020, 05:46:21 PM »
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 08:13:02 PM by Pixie »

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: February 23, 2020, 08:52:25 PM »
I think this is where I'm headed with my rogue. May change. And if they fix the Alastor skills, it will certainly change.

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: February 23, 2020, 09:39:07 PM »
Tried to buy Control at a Gamestop (first time I'd shopped there in years) for much cheaper than I'd seen it on PSN, but the disc didn't work at all, so had to return it.  Guess I should have known.  May have to wait for it to go on sale again.

Been playing through some PS+ games to waste some time.  Some quickie reviews:
Qube: Director's Cut - First-person physics/platforming puzzle game ala Portal.  Extremely short, but seemed like the start of a decent puzzle game.
Trials Fusion - Not really a fan of the weird-ass physics they use as part of the required toolset to finish harder levels, but it was fun for an hour or two.
Horizon Chase Turbo - Very basic racing game with  semi-auto-turning.  Too many levels, and the setup is the same for every level (you start in 20th place and the other cars go out of their way to smash into you to prevent you from passing them), but still easy enough that I finished it in a few days.
The Witness - Puzzle exploration game.  70% of the puzzles are good and easy enough to understand, 20% are really hard, and 10% are basically impossible, or at least they are when you're used to the game being basically silent and suddenly several puzzles appear that use audio only. 

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #788 on: February 25, 2020, 12:28:04 PM »
Level 26 Aeia

The character design is pretty good in this game.

I think this is where I'm headed with my rogue. May change. And if they fix the Alastor skills, it will certainly change.

Looks good to me.  Though I am still feeling nUbish.  Not very happy with all my choices in my fighter build, but it is good enough at this point.

I actually finished the game.  I kill the Act III boss more easily than the other two.  Two things about that.  The first is that I ran into a bug during that fight were the boss became invulnerable when it hit 1/3 health.  I finally figured out that I was damaging the boss too quickly.  When I slowed things down I was able to get past that bug.

The second thing is that I really don't like the Act Boss fights.  It might be my build but I found them to be very tough.  There was three phases and if you failed at any point you have to start from the beginning.  So the fights became not just tough but also tedious.  You do have the option of lowering the difficulty for the fight but that is a pretty crappy option.  On the final boss not only did I run into the bug but one time I died right after the beginning of the third phase.  The cut scene ended and boom, dead.  That was pretty crappy.

Aside from the end boss fights I love the game.  I do think they need to figure out the overall difficulty balancing of them game.  There are large swaths of time when I just absolutely destroy things and then I will run into an area or boss and get stomped.  All of that said I highly recommend the game.

I have started a Wizard play through with a new character.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: February 25, 2020, 01:24:17 PM »

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: February 25, 2020, 01:53:53 PM »
Hmm reminds me of early D3, I had lots of screenshots of my dead character and the boss close to but not dead.  I'm sure with patches, more knowledge things will change for the better

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #791 on: February 26, 2020, 10:22:51 AM »
So Wizard...a bit strange how it works.

First thing to understand is that you have a bar that is divided between Wisdom and Rage.  Use a skill that uses Rage and you build up Wisdom.  Opposite is true.

Next thing to understand is that the weapon you use governs which skills you use.  So if you have a staff you can only cast spells that use wisdom.  So your Wisdom runs out quickly.  The base attack of a staff builds wisdom back up.  So that is how you can play a pure caster.

Lastly you have a catalyst which gets equipped in your off hand.  This allows you to cast spells.  In your main can you can equip either a dagger, pistol, or one handed weapon.  This is how you get to your hybrid builds of Battlemage and the like.  You cast spells with the catalyst which uses up Widsom and builds Rage.  You then need to use a skill that uses rage and builds up Wisdom.  You alternate attacks.

So being a pure wizard is tricky in that you don't get anything for your offhand and can only use Wisdom.  Being a Hybrid is trickier than it sounds as you really need to have the balance between Wisdom/Rage to be fully effective.  I have tried a couple times and failed at hybrid.  Still working on what I want to do.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: February 26, 2020, 04:39:20 PM »
Pure mage is a bit broken right now because (a) a number of passives don't work/work right, and (b) spell damage doesn't scale with your weapon like rage skills do, so the game gets really hard later on.

... so I've been told. I abandoned my mage for now at low level after discovering the overpowered joy of rogues.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #793 on: February 26, 2020, 11:31:08 PM »
I think I will try to see how far I get as a Wizard.

The last patch seems like a good step forward though end game people are pissed.