Author Topic: Stadia  (Read 177 times)

Sssith

• THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 18
    • View Profile
Stadia
« on: March 20, 2019, 02:25:59 PM »
Google's gaming platform if you haven't heard.

Interestingly they are talking that this platform is going to work without local hardware and installation.  I find this difficult to believe that they have figured out a way to stream the performance necessary to make this work.  Conceptually this has been something I knew people were trying to tackle, but I have trouble believing that it has been solved.  Shit, I feel like I can't always count on Xfinity to give me a stable stream and they are the fastest ISP in my area.

So right now I am filing this under cool idea, but I will believe it when I see it.

Kasferatu

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Stadia
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 02:37:17 PM »
Interesting news item on why this is potentially bad for gaming: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47634263

maxbeedo

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 02:42:16 PM »
Yeah, I watched a few reactions to the reveal, and pretty much everyone's responses were the same: "Most people don't have good-enough internet to make this work."  Especially since the controller is a Wifi-based, good luck playing any game where lag is a huge issue (FPSs, fighting games, etc.).  It's certainly an interesting concept, but the infrastructure isn't there for most people to take advantage of it, not to mention their demo only appealed to the type of person that has dozens of screens in the house and can't stand to take your eyes off your game for 2 seconds (also the type of person that could easily afford a high-end PC and/or consoles). If Google were to spend all their money laying fiberoptic lines throughout the country instead of just a few select cities, they'd earn their business here for sure, but given their talk of setting up their servers to stream in 8K, with the understanding that basically no one has screens that can show 8K, their plan is likely long-term.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 03:23:52 PM »
Interesting news item on why this is potentially bad for gaming: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47634263

Interesting article.  I think we are already seeing some of the problems that he was alluding to.  Battlefront, ME:A, Diablo: Immortal are all examples (there are other)  of games where business decisions are being made that run counter to what is best of the gaming experience.  I think the author is right that something like this would make things worse.

For gamers, there are a number of hurdles. Phil Harrison, Google’s man in charge of Stadia, told me his team's tests managed 4K gaming on download speeds of “around 25mbps”.

That must be in perfect conditions.  Xfinity is supposedly supposed to give me 250mbps.  I really only can measure 100mbps.  And there are still times when I am not happy with it.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 03:45:58 PM »
would be good for Tell tale games apart from those QTEs lol

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 03:50:02 PM »
If all the games became streaming would they even bother with trying to stream it to Middle Earth?  You might get screwed in such a scenario Timmeh!

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 03:53:59 PM »
Well there are some pretty decent under the ocean cables that come this way.

Lego

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 05:19:53 PM »
I don't think fast enough internet is going to be widely available for a long time. The loading screens must be murder as well. The latency is going to suck. It's great that they have the servers but your latency is only as good as the weakest link in the chain. I just don't see this as being reasonable for a long, long time, if really ever.