Author Topic: Games to look at on PC  (Read 623 times)

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Games to look at on PC
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 12:19:06 PM »
They're all kinda buggy, but generally sorted out by unofficial patches.

New Vegas is just bad because Obsidian and Bethesda make *entirely* different kinds of games, and the Venn diagram where they meet is a slushy pile of weird sticky goo that never actually coalesces into anything fun.

Lego

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2019, 02:15:02 PM »
Interestingly enough, Borderlands 2 and the Pre Sequel both show up on my Mac list installable on Steam. I'm not crazy enough to try to play it on the Intel 4000 chip my MacBook pro has tho.

Lego

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 07:56:21 PM »
Hey Pixie - Euro Truck Simulator 1 or 2?

Pixie

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2019, 10:09:29 PM »

ETS 2. Definitely 2.

dave in the basement

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 09:42:17 AM »

ETS 2. Definitely 2.

That is one of those games I have wanted to try, but I really have no idea why. Looks like it would be good to chill to.

Sssith

• THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 10:45:13 AM »
If you need help with BL2 hit me up.  I think you are in for a treat.  Ignore the PreSequel for a while.  We have a BL2 thread I believe so jump in there.  I have extensive time on three of the characters: Maya, Axton, and Gaige.  Of the three Maya was my favorite.  Gaige is pretty lol tastic at times.  I hear that Kreig is melee mayhem madness.  I personally think Maya is nUb friendly because it helps you trap the bad guys making them easier to shoot.  The enemy in this game is highly mobile.

Lego

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 12:14:29 PM »
Thanks Sssith. I know nothing about this game.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 12:43:57 PM »
FPS + l00t + RPG + humor == awesome sauce.

There are some things that they didn't get right but honestly this game holds up beautifully IMO.  My least favorite thing about it is that it follows the Normal --> Nightmare --> Hell progression that D2 established.  It makes it a bit grindy to get to upper level game play.  But that say you can just play normal and all the DLC and you will have gotten your monies worth.  If you think you want to play all the way through 'HELL', in BL2 land it is called UVHM (ultra vault hunter mode) I would recommend playing the DLC in different order. 

I recommend playing through the main quest line on normal.  See how you like it.  Then hit me up for suggestions on what to do next.  If you find you love and want to play through UVHM I would recommend one path.  If not I will recommend another.

Honestly, if you find you love it, this game will take months to play through.

Darkness

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2019, 05:56:03 AM »
I think UHVM is easier than TVHM because of the way gear and enemy levels work, providing you have access to the Marcus Mercenary Day DLC. If you have that DLC (which is entertaining in its own right), then staying on top of the gear curve in UHVM is easy.

I recommend playing through the main story line on normal difficulty and then going straight to the Tiny Tina Assault on Dragon Keep and is works perfectly as an epilogue to the main game story, is inventive and emotional to boot.

My main experience is with Zer0 and Axton but, I agree with Sssith that Maya is probably the most forgiving to play as a first character.

Before playing Borderlands 2, I would say it makes some sense to play Borderlands 1 but, it isn't strictly necessary. Although the game is fun, the story isn't as strong.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2019, 09:54:34 AM »
For Borderlands:
Normal = NVHM (normal vault hunting mode)
Nightmare = TVHM
Hell = UVHM

If you are going to play UVHM then I might recommend saving Tiny Tina DLC for UVHM.  If you want the best story experience then do it after the first play through.

Lego

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2019, 04:29:14 PM »
Thanks. I bought the Borderlands Handsome Pack but it doesn't come with Borderlands 1, so I've been debating either getting it or just jumping into the sequel. I think I'll try it on normal first. Is there a game+ mode?

Darkness

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2019, 05:11:26 PM »
The higher difficulties are the + modes.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2019, 05:34:47 PM »
I enjoyed BL1 but I don't think it is necessary to play.  I would google for a BL1 summary.  Not a complicated story.

You have to play it on normal.  Then you have to play TVHM.  Only by finishing that can you get into UVHM.

Lego

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2019, 05:39:01 PM »
Ahh ok I get ya. Thanks.

syn

• Cookies: 9
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2019, 06:18:21 PM »
If you find you love and want to play through UVHM I would recommend one path.  If not I will recommend another.

i would appreciate those suggestions! just finished the main story on normal. not sure about playing to UVHM.

edit: i dipped a toe into the tiny tina stuff as per the rec above, and promptly started getting 1-shot by creatures. gear/lvl problems, i assume.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 06:25:43 PM by syn »
Buttigieg on Trump: "It is the nature of grotesque things that you can't look away."  5/19/19