Author Topic: Going to get a new Dell. Need opinions.  (Read 108 times)

Lego

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 9
    • View Profile
Going to get a new Dell. Need opinions.
« on: February 09, 2019, 07:28:00 PM »
So it's between these 2.
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-14-7000/spd/inspiron-14-7472-laptop/DNCWA300H
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-15-5000/spd/inspiron-15-5575-laptop/DNCWLBAMD8012H
The first one has a few more bells and whistles, like aluminim case, backlit keyboard, etc... but it mostly comes down to an i5 with an MX150, versus a Ryzen 5 system. My gaming will be casual, but it would be nice to have a decent experience when I do. Thoughts?

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Going to get a new Dell. Need opinions.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 09:00:33 AM »
If you can afford more power, do it

Pixie

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 09:49:51 PM »
I know you said "casual gaming" but could you give some examples of what you want to run? Because I'm not optimistic either of those will run much of anything at settings you'd like. The MX150, for example, is roughly equivalent in performance to a GTX275, a 10-year-old GPU that's about 7 or 8 generations out of date. The Vega 8 is even worse...

A bit more reading and... Apparently the 150 can run some mid-tier stuff from recent years, but to get over 30fps it looks like you need to turn down the settings and resolution some. But the demanding stuff like Far Cry 5 you can basically forget.

If you're looking for a Skyrim machine, it might do...

Sssith

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 09:51:18 PM »
Why Dell?  Most of their laptops are crap.

Lego

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 03:56:06 PM »
Playing (that I know of) occasional Skyrim, Guild Wars 2. Just checked a Far Cry 5 video, it'll do ultra settings at 30fps at 1366x768.

I know I could get alot better, but I don't want to spend the money for an Alienware. Those two are in the price range I want to look at.
@Sssith: I've had much better luck with Dell than with HP, and I've read alot of bad reviews about Acer and Asus.

Lego

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 04:16:50 PM »
PS: I don't see an edit button dammit. Any Pix, thanks for that review page. Finding reviews in FHD vs 720p is hard. Everyone is reviewing in 1366x768.
Also, I should add, I can't tell the difference between 30 and 60+ FPS, so one's as good as another to me.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 04:18:08 PM »
Well you are right that getting an affordable laptop is an issue.  Make it a gaming capable laptop and it is even more problematic.  About six to eight years ago I did a lot of research into the question.  The conclusion I reached was that you want to buy a laptop that is made by the brand.  At that point there were companies, Sager, Crown, a couple of others, that was the original manufacturer of the laptop.  Ideally you want to buy from a brand like that.  Dell, HP, other give those companies specifications, and a target price point.  In order to deliver they have to cut corners to get into the sweet spot of specs vs price.  When you buy from the actual manufacturer chances are you are getting a better laptop because they are making it without those cut corners.  Also means that generally they are more expensive machines.

I imagine that concept still holds up today.  I have no idea who are the original manufacturers of laptops these days.  Alienware, the last I checked, was not on that list either.  I think they are owned by Dell.

Honestly I would avoid a laptop unless you had a real need for mobility.  If you do need one then I would do some research into who is actually making the laptop and try to buy one from them. 

Of course all my knowledge about this topic is out of date so maybe this is no longer true.  I use Dell laptops for work and I generally hate them.  They do have some good ones though.

Lego

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 04:31:22 PM »
Thanks for the advice Sssith.
Unfortunately, where I live now and for the forseeable future, a tower is out of the question, so it has to be a laptop. I'm also not much of a Triple-A chaser. I'm most excited about being able to play Guild Wars 2 at high at 1080p lol

Pixie

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 06:15:40 PM »
I've had really good luck with Acer, not with Asus. Dell and Alienware are synonymous, but I have no experience with either in laptop form, only towers (hint: they are poop for towers).

Anyway, it sounds like you will probably get the performance you want with these. Just didn't want you to expect one thing and get another. So, you know... tally ho and all that. :D

Lego

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 09:47:01 PM »
I appreciate you trying to look out for me ;)

Lego

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 11:34:13 PM »
I bit the bullet and bought the 14 inch 7000, with a 4 year extended warranty, and 3 years of anti-virus (I know nothing about Windows computers, was only 30 bucks). Pretty excited. The fastest graphics I've ever had is Intel 4000 on my MacBook Pro, so it's a pretty huge leap for me. Plus the backlit keyboard and aluminum body will make it a bit easier to transition from the MacBook. I had a sweet spot for they Ryzen, but just couldn't stomach a plastic computer.

Now to pay for the bloody thing. Got 12 months deferred interest, so that's cool.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 09:58:45 AM »
Good deal.  I hope it does you right.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 12:13:57 PM »
See if Mexico will pay for it for you!