Author Topic: Season 16: The Season of Grandeur  (Read 1462 times)

mn4nu

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 16
    • View Profile
Re: Season 16: The Season of Grandeur
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2019, 09:22:37 AM »
Congrats Cluck, very impressive!  Only 500ish paragon and able to do a GR100 is amazing.

Sssith

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2019, 09:39:35 AM »
Wow.

I being going slow.

Not sure how you guys level so fast.  No worries.  I will get there.  lol

syn

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 9
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2019, 09:57:44 AM »
grats cluck.

i'm slow too. completed chap4 yesterday and got the set but not much beyond that.

Cluck Kent

• Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2019, 02:36:49 PM »
lol, so I wanted to firm up that 500ish paragon GR100 clear and sure enough, my character is P level 702. Oops, sorry about that.

Even still what made it possible are the huge buffs this season, not my leetness. Do people still say that?

Second thing that made it possible was a lot of game time. With everyone in the house down with strep throat, there hasn't been much else to do.

If you haven't played much in a long time, there are a few things you should know:

1. A few seasons/patches ago, Blizz gave all the classes big defensive boasts, mainly through either skill/item changes. It's great, but important to know that most of these buffs are on some sort of short timer, i.e., they activate for 3-6 seconds and need to be refreshed repeatedly. No big deal, but when stacking these, if you lose focus just for a moment, your toughness drops from 100s of millions to 20 or 25 million. This becomes important for T10 and above. It could just be me, but I really have to pay attention to keep the buffs active, particularly when playing classes or builds with which I'm not familiar.

Over many seasons, Blizz has introduced a lot of power creep. If you haven't played in a long time, GR 60 is the new GR 30.

2. Once you hit level 70 and have some blood shards to spend, take a few minutes and check out the builds on the leaderboard and Youtube. Ryyker does a great series of videos. This is worthwhile not just if you're looking to push your build, but I find the Youtubers in particular can give you a good idea of what various skills and items can do. If you're naturally curious like Orbert, you'll probably want to do your own thing, but they are available if you want.

3. Some efficiency tips. For folks who want to speed up the progression somewhat, start by focusing your attacks on elites/packs. Trash gives very little experience and drops very little useful loot but you can easily spend more than half your time or more killing stuff that might drop 5% of the loot. Don't quote me on that number, but the vast majority of the loot falls from elites/packs.

The worst attributes on a complete set build will always be magnitudes more powerful than the best attributes on anything else. Focus on getting the pieces, then worry about upgrading attributes.

With this season bonus of the RRoG, it might be fun to try different combinations of sets together. Right now, I've got the 6 piece set bonus of Innas and the 4 piece set bonus of Sunwukos. Not exactly apple pie and ice cream, but it's interesting.

mn4nu

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2019, 02:53:06 PM »
Great information Cluck!

dave in the basement

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2019, 02:55:03 PM »
I need to make sure I hit up El Guapo Cluck when I get back to EU.  ;D  I think I am paragon 4 on EU, since I just wanted to get to 70 on Europe within the first 24 hours.

But I've been spending all of my time on America, and the occasional ten minutes here and there on the Switch.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2019, 03:46:09 PM »
You sir are 1337!

:P

And fun of good info.

syn

• aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2019, 05:06:56 PM »
3. Some efficiency tips. For folks who want to speed up the progression somewhat, start by focusing your attacks on elites/packs. Trash gives very little experience and drops very little useful loot but you can easily spend more than half your time or more killing stuff that might drop 5% of the loot. Don't quote me on that number, but the vast majority of the loot falls from elites/packs.

true, but important to leave yourself an escape route. it's never satisfying to narrowly survive an encounter with a bad pack only to get killed by random trash you didn't clear.

Cluck Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2019, 06:50:08 PM »
Thanks Syn, I should have been clear that I was talking SC. I don't mind dying a bit in SC.

Dave, I've got a Monk on America and I just followed your lead and switched Sunwuko for Innas Bell. I got an 82 done today and may revisit tonight.

Kasferatu

• Cookies: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2019, 06:33:42 AM »
Managed to get my first 70 grift down last night so got my first primal item. A Witch Doctor item on my Barbarian... really put a bucket of cold water over my enthusiasm.

syn

• aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2019, 07:00:48 AM »
Managed to get my first 70 grift down last night so got my first primal item. A Witch Doctor item on my Barbarian... really put a bucket of cold water over my enthusiasm.

ouch.  :(

Kasferatu

• Cookies: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2019, 12:11:11 PM »
Was quite the kick in the nuts.

I'm just about over it now and looking at how I can complete this seasons journey.  For Barbarian the conquests look tough.  Getting 3 gems to 65 is no problem but really not sure which other one to do and how to go about it.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2019, 12:40:10 PM »
Meanwhile in nub land.  I just finished chapter two.  Right now I am running with grenades/trap-critical/turret/wolf.  Surprisingly effective and safe.  Not very fast, but that is ok.  I found some unique that ups grenade damage, and I am using the rune that gives me more grenades.  I stand in my trap for more crit, and I am mowing the monsters down.  Pretty fun actually.  I am only in master so I don't know how much longer this will be effective.

hurtlocker

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2019, 08:18:33 PM »
Got frustrated leveling my Monk on the American server so I did something I almost never do, I joined a few public
 MP games. (there weren't any clan members on line) It worked out well, did about 25 rifts at Torment 7 (where I was stuck)
and made two complete sets including the Monkey Kings set. I still prefer SP, but I can see how these guys level so quickly.

Cluck Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2019, 10:35:02 PM »
I'm just about over it now and looking at how I can complete this seasons journey.  For Barbarian the conquests look tough.  Getting 3 gems to 65 is no problem but really not sure which other one to do and how to go about it.

The conquests need for speed and curses are ones myself or anyone playing a DH could help you achieve. Different builds are good for different conquests, hit me up anytime if I'm online.