Author Topic: Thinking of new gaming PC 2019 edition  (Read 124 times)

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 12
    • View Profile
Thinking of new gaming PC 2019 edition
« on: December 22, 2018, 04:53:23 AM »
I'm thinking its quite likely I'll need to get a new PC for gaming next year, but I'm very out of date with everything.   I need some help working out what is out now, what is a decent level, what is OP (and out of budget). 

Also, if there is any new tech just around the corner.  I still remember getting my computer in 2006, just before Core 2 Duos came out and I felt gutted about that.

I'll probably be looking at these things new
CASE
CPU
MOBO
RAM
Video card
Power supply

other things:
I have a lot of storage in SATA drives I'm not using, so that is ok.
I have a new 256GB SSD I got from a site where I got some store credit.  Not the fastest tech but it will need a home.
optical drives seem almost redundant, but if my last 2 are dead, I have a lot of spare things to go around.

I'd prefer something that can run current stuff at high settings, and will last for a while as the years move on.  My last computer from 2010 can still play games, but at the lowest settings.

If you could help by offering things like "for a minimum, don't go below this type of CPU" or "these CPUs are for those who have more money than sense"

If there is something that is really game changing, let me know.  Last time it was splashing out on an SSD and I don't regret that for a minute.

Kasferatu

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of new gaming PC 2019 edition
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 05:59:36 AM »
I'm not up to date on tech, but I've always found this useful to get some first ideas:

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Sssith

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 11:11:18 PM »
Sadly I am out of date too.  Four years with the  current computer I think.

Good luck.

Kasferatu

• Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 02:51:45 AM »
The one thing I do know is that the 20xx series of graphics cards is not right now significantly better enough over the 10xx series to justify the cost increase.  This may change as DLSS develops.  I'm actually at the point I'd like to update my own PC but after I discovered this I thought I would try and get my current one through to the next generation of graphics cards or wait for this one to drop significantly.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 09:49:27 AM »
I'm also somewhat out of the loop. What I do know:

AMD Ryzen CPUs seem to be the way to go for bang-for-buck right now.

Nvidia 10-series GPUs are great. 20-series are not enough better to justify the price. Depending on what you want to spend and how serious you like your graphics (as well as what resolution you play), you want 1060, 1070, or 1080. "ti" suffix is better. Basically 1080ti > 1070ti = 1080 > 1070 > 1060

SSDs are the way and the light, but more specifically an m2 NVME one is stupidly fast. My m2 Samsung SSD is literally 6 times faster than my basic Samsung EVO SSD, and I have the benchmarks to prove it.

With a nice fast SSD (for boot and your most special games), add on a 4tb SATA drive and you're golden. (I have 1x m2 SSD, 1 x SSD, 1 x 4tb SATA, 1 x 1tb external SATA... covers all my needs)

Motherboards: Asus used to be the thing. I am now a bit averse to them, having had some issues. Personally, I steer toward MSI these days. YMMV.

RAM: Uh, it's kinda all the same anymore. Just pick something that has the right speeds. 16GB is the minimum now. 32GB is good.

Power supply: the usual suspects are still good: EVGA, Corsair, etc.

Cases: I'm stupidly fond of Coolermaster cases and will probably never build with any other brand ever again. They're just such a treat to work in and the craftsmanship is top notch every time.

narsica

• Cookies: 8
  • Resident angry Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 06:26:48 PM »
I took Pixie's advice for my most recent build, and haven't regretted it. Specifically - Ryzen CPU, m2 NVE SSD, and a 1070ti.

For a case, I still absolutely adore my Fractal Meshify C. Looks fantastic on my desk, airflow is great, and was super easy to build in.
To be so civilized one must tell civil lies...