Author Topic: The Outer Worlds  (Read 83 times)

Sssith

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 17
    • View Profile
The Outer Worlds
« on: December 07, 2018, 10:09:51 AM »
So much excitement!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGLTgt0EEqc

This looks freaking amazing.  And if there is a company I trust to deliver it is Obsidian!

Game wise 2019 is shaping up brilliantly!  This and BL3 (fingers crossed).  I will be busy with these games!

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
Re: The Outer Worlds
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 04:23:41 PM »
Obsidian has delivered nothing but hype and disappointing games for years. Here's hoping they can reverse that trend!

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 05:00:26 PM »
Wow...that seems harsh.

FO: Las Vegas was awesome
While I haven't played Pillars of Eternity it is pretty well like game.
Likewise with South Park: Stick of Truth.

Sure their record isn't spotless but it is pretty good IMO.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 05:46:28 PM »
See, I've played almost every game they've ever made. I've never yet been able to force myself to finish one.

KOTOR2: too buggy and incomplete. By the time it was fixed, I'd lost interest.
Neverwinter Nights 2: I got hopelessly bored halfway through, several times.
Alpha Protocol: this is pretty universally acknowledged to be trash.
Fallout New Vegas: I hated this. Obsidian had no idea how to do an RPG Bethesda-style. It was just flat and empty and boring.
Dungeon Siege 3: trash. Could not get anywhere in this.
The Stick of Truth: I did not play this. Have heard it's good. If you like South Park.
Pillars of Eternity: another game with awesome promise that just became a godawful boring slog. I know of very few people who managed to get through it.
Pillars of Eternity 2:  Repeated.
Tyranny: They tried! Such hype! But again, too much lore and world that just became a boring slog.
Skyforge: This was kinda fun. But dumb.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 05:49:52 PM by Pixie »

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 07:44:22 PM »
I have to admit that FO: New Vegas didn't take the first time that I play it.

Reinstalled it years later and I loved it.  Main quest wise it beats 3 & 4 easily IMO.  I do think that 3 had the best side missions and LV and 4 were about the same.  KOTOR was pretty great in my opinion, but I do tend to slog through long games.  It also might be that I played it way later meaning that my first attempt in it did not run into as many bugs.

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 08:38:30 PM »
I've liked most of their games, though you could easily argue they're on a downward trend, especially if they drove someone like Chris Avellone away and consented to be bought by Microsoft.

KOTOR2, even in its buggy state, presents the most complex, philosophical arguments in all of Star Wars history (and it somehow predicted what Disney would do with the franchise).  I had not played it until 2015 and it holds up extremely well just for the concepts it has. 

Alpha Protocol has choices that actually matter, and that was enough to make me beat it 4+ times to see the different permutations.  I will also not accept any arguments against the fact that it has the single best dialogue system in any game ever, on top of the fact that you get rewarded for making people EITHER like you OR hate you (with different rewards and story changes). 

Fallout: New Vegas felt awkwardly linear at the start in regards to the intended path, but all of the "roadblocks" can actually be bypassed, and it ended up being by far the most fun FO to break.  Made a 1 INT 1 CHA character who became beloved by every faction simultaneously, which actually felt rewarding since the factions were all pretty interesting (besides maybe the Khans or NCR).  Melee was also super fun (and probably overpowered) compared to 3 or 4. I didn't play the DLCs, but apparently several of them are great. 

Pillars of Eternity I would agree was not as good as the reviews suggested.  Some interesting characters, but there is almost no main plot and you have basically zero motivation to do anything.

I'll certainly keep tabs on Outer Worlds.  It sounds like they're trying to keep their focus on player choice actually having effects, which is a good sign.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 08:40:05 PM by maxbeedo »

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 09:18:23 PM »
Don't get me wrong... I'll be playing this on day 1.

I'm just expecting to be disappointed. LOL

Kasferatu

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 03:12:42 AM »
Gonna throw my contrary opinion in. FO:NV to meet is the best of the modern Fallout games. I'm fact, I trust them way more than Bethseda to make a game that is going to hold my interest.

PoE is the only recent CRPG that I've actually finished since... NWN2 😁 although Pix will find my tastes questionable because I've finished way more JRPGs in that rolled period.

Kasferatu

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 03:15:08 AM »
Oh jeez. Retract part of that statement. I completely forgot that I finished a bunch of Mass Effect and Dragon Age games.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 09:45:34 AM »
Pillars of Eternity: another game with awesome promise that just became a godawful boring slog. I know of very few people who managed to get through it.

PoE is the only recent CRPG that I've actually finished

:P

Lego

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 05:35:46 PM »
Alpha Protocol: this is pretty universally acknowledged to be trash.
So is FO76 mate ;)

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 10:55:05 PM »
It's really not. It's shitloads of fun and I haven't run into any notable issues (nor have any of the other 5 people I know IRL who are playing it). Most of the bullshit around it is AROUND it because corporate Bethesda seems to be full of idiots (canvas bags and doxxing customers, for instance), but the game itself is fun. It has some bugs, but they're minor and mostly all the same Gamebryo bugs we've loved all along since Morrowind. There's a howling echo chamber of hate for it on the internet but most of those people haven't played it, were never going to play it (see also: rampant Bethesda-haters), and are basing much of their hate on 20-minute youtube clips cobbled together from bunches of different gameplay clips to make it look awful.

That said, it's also off-topic, has nothing to do with Obsidian, and just because Alpha Protocol is trash doesn't mean there aren't people who like it (a lot). People can like trash. Hell, I love Dead Island and that's trash.