Author Topic: PS4 Games  (Read 803 times)

Sssith

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 18
    • View Profile
PS4 Games
« on: November 19, 2018, 08:51:20 AM »
Hey all...I know.  Wrong crowd here for the most part.

Probably going to finally get the PS4 I think.  The price has dipped to 199 and it has a bunch of games that I would like to play.  Just looking for more ideas.

Diablo <-- local coop.  Are there any other games like this?
Uncharted 4 <-- series rocks.
Horizon Zero Dawn <-- seems awesome, is there a reason to get the enhanced edition?
Detroit Become Human <-- Any good?  Seems interesting
Borderlands 2 <-- I have a friend who is interested in MP play.

Any other ideas?

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
Re: PS4 Games
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 11:36:58 AM »
Haven't played Detroit Become Human, but there are many outlets that got really into and are considering it for GOTY this year.  Haven't played anything with couch co-op besides Divinity: Original Sin 1, which was garbage (2 is supposedly much better), though I've heard a lot about Overcooked and Don't Starve Together being good.

HZD: Complete Edition includes The Frozen Wilds DLC, which I would say was definitely worth it, plus that edition is pretty cheap now anyways.  Was my GOTY in 2017.
Bloodborne is still the best exclusive according to many, many people.  It won't hold your hand though.  Online Co-op/PvP. 
Persona 5 needs to be experienced just for the art style, although it is very long even for a JRPG (I finished my 1st playthrough at ~110 hours).  Single Player. (Also on PS3)
Nier: Automata is a very weird combo of Bayonetta/Devil May Cry combat combined with a bullet hell shooter with top-tier music and unique ideas. Single Player. (Also on PC)
Yakuza 0 has a lot of everything, great brawling combat, great music, great story, a ton of side content, and a lot of weirdness too.  Probably the best in the series, and is a great tryout for getting into the other games in the series.  Single Player.  (Also on PC, Yakuza Kiwami which is a remake of Yakuza 1 is currently free on Playstation Plus this month)
Monster Hunter: World is Capcom's best selling game ever, and they've continued to update it with free stuff all year.  Online Co-op. (Also on Xbox One and PC)
Valkyria Chronicles: Remastered has a unique art style for a strategy/fps wartime game and a surprisingly good story.  Single Player.  (Also on PC and Switch)

I haven't played these but the reviews suggest they're universally loved:
God of War
Marvel's Spider-Man
The Last of Us: Remastered

You can also look at my trophy list for other stuff I've played.  https://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo

Godji

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 1
  • Hatter than the Hat Madder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 11:37:11 AM »
For Horizon, the "enhanced" edition includes the DLC which adds a high-level zone, with a pretty interestng story. If you're confident you'll enjoy the game, go for it, you could also get the normal game and buy the DLC later if you want, might end up a tlittle bit more expensive.

Detroit is a difficult game to recommend, it's very hit or miss. Have you played any other Quantic Dream game ? If you liked Heavy Rain, go for it.

Otherwise, some console exclusive which come to mind are God of War (the new iteration has become some kind of hybrid between the former God of War and the Tomb Raider reboots IMO, it's some kind of Tomb Raider with extra focus on combat, using an axe instead), Spiderman, Red Dead Redemption 2.

I'm a huge fan of Bloodborne personally but I don't think that this is a genre you appreciate (Dark Souls-like game).

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 12:42:17 PM »
I loved Heavy Rain.  One of my all time favorite games.

It sounds like a yes for enhanced edition

I played the the first two God of Wars, and I liked them, but didn't love them.  Might have to check it out, given that I like Tomb Raider.

As for Last of Us I played it when it was out on PS3 and loved it.  I never did play the DLC which I heard was fantastic.  I might have to give it a try again.

Spiderman is included with the 199 version that I am thinking of getting.

I have never heard of Valkyria...I will have to look into it.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 03:42:00 PM »
Valkyria Chronicles is awful. Recommend a hard miss.

I haven't played Detroit yet but it's high on my list. I, too, loved Heavy Rain.

Red Dead Redemption 2 seems like a must-play. If you're gonna console, you might as well get what is shaping up to be one of the best console games made.

Horizon, of course, is also a must play.

I have The Last of Us for PS3 and PS4. I dunno if it's worth replaying, but if you do (for the dlc?), it does looks worlds better on PS4.

Nier: Automata is really good, but it's on Steam, and games are always better on PC if you have the option. :P

Oh, and Spyro! Be an adorable dragon! So much cute and fun!

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 03:48:41 PM »
Diablo local coop seems well done.  Are there others specifically that do the same without a split screen?

maxbeedo

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 01:11:28 AM »
I've never played any PS4 games using local co-op, so I can't help a lot there.  Tales of Berseria was decent and every Tales game can be 4-player co-op in the combat (everyone is on the same screen doing real-time combat), but it's single-player in the exploration and story.

Godji

• THAC0: 20
  • Hatter than the Hat Madder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 12:02:46 PM »
Co-op, you're going to want to start digging in the indie games from the PSN store. Many actually exist on PC, but couch coop can indeed be more pleasant on console.
Things like Towerfall Ascension, Overcooked... Rayman Legens if me recommending Ubisoft products isn't suspect yet :p

A quick google search later, I saw a few decent recommendations : Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, the Lego games in your favorite flavor (Marvel, DC, Star Wars, Harry Potter...) The Trine trilogy is worth checking too, as well as some of the more recent Resident Evil games if that's your thing.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 12:59:23 PM »
Nice.  I appreciate the recs.

I might also get The Division for online coop.  Looking forward to a new set of games to play.

Kasferatu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 02:25:05 PM »
Nier: Automata is really good, but it's on Steam, and games are always better on PC if you have the option. :P

99% of the time I agree with you.  But in cases like this and Assassin's Creed Origins they seem to have botched the port, so the PS4 version may be better.  In the case of Nier I opted for the PS4 version.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 04:26:42 PM »
What was botched? The port seemed fine to me? Genuinely curious...

Also, The Division: it's not good. It could be good. It had so much promise. But the ridiculous bullet spongeyness of the enemies just gets downright exhausting. If you want a good "Tom Clancy"-named game, go for Ghost Recon: Wildlands. All the same co-op fun, but can be played solo, and the enemies die when you shoot them.

Lego

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 04:58:22 PM »
I actually think D3 is better on console than PC/Mac.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 05:02:12 PM »
Yes but you're also whacked in the head.

Lego

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 05:11:09 PM »
There is that, yeah  :o

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 09:36:10 PM »
Personally if I got a console, I'd only do it for stuff that isn't out on PC and won't be.  Sure sometimes an awful PC port comes out, but one of the only things I'd be tempted to get is Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2.

I'm very grumpy thats the only way we can see it, and also that they aren't doing a GTA 6 (yet).