Author Topic: Diablo Immortal  (Read 423 times)

Ray Patean

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo Immortal
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2018, 12:10:40 PM »
I was reading on Reddit that the company, NetEase, it wildly hated in China by mobile gamers. Like, 100 times more than gamers here hate EA.

Just a huge disappointment, especially after Blizzard said that this was going to be a good year for Diablo fans.

Sssith

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2018, 12:13:35 PM »
100 times more than our hate of EA.  That is a lot of hate.

This is  the Inception of Fail.

Lego

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2018, 03:42:33 PM »
Don't you guys have phones?

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2018, 11:37:18 PM »

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2018, 12:21:01 AM »
Ouch.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2018, 01:44:30 PM »
If you are on mobile and see ads, you'll probably see this ad for "Command and Conquer: Rivals"  Now C&C used to be an epic thing in the 90s, possibly the biggest RTS for a while.  EA bought them out. They bought it to mobile this year, and it sounds like the reaction from the community was similar to this one.  It sounds as though the backlash was so bad that EA will bring back C&C to actual non mobile devices as well.

But the idea of an RTS where the entire map (very small) sits on the screen of your phone, there is no exploration, no fog of war, just rush out and contest a small area.    It looks terrible but also has some fancy cinematics built for it.

mn4nu

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2018, 11:57:43 AM »
I used to love playing C&C, mainly Red Alert, RA2, and RA2 Yuri's Revenge.  Those games were just so fun. I even got the CD with all those games on it a few years ago.  I still play them every once in awhile.

hurtlocker

• Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2018, 08:44:14 AM »
I clicked on the link to sign up for the beta of Diablo Immortal (for fun, I have no intention of playing it)
and the link didn't work. Maybe they got the message?

Lego

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2018, 10:11:41 AM »
Nah, there's no way they aren't going after that Chinese whale money.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2018, 05:37:09 PM »
I've been thinking about this, how there is such a large mass of HELL NO! from the real fans.  How Blizzard are so keen on it for various reasons.  And then a mix of the media who say they are doing the right thing for the right reasons.  I have been thinking this might be similar to a bunch of decades ago when Rock n Roll first came out.  Imagine the other Diablo games are some of the best Jazz music around.   Those fans have heard this new fangled thing, but it isn't for them.  That didn't stop The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and all the rest of them.  Will we end up with mostly two different fan  groups with a smaller group who like and enjoy both types?  Blizzard gets a bigger exposure overall, but its very clear they need to use the F word.  FOUR.  Just put something, even a teaser to say, yes we are working on it. Even if everything changes between now and release.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2018, 10:06:29 AM »
Yeah...that analogy doesn't work for me.

I'm ok with Blizzard doing a mobile game.  The problem is that they thought we would be excited for the game.  They were teasing the big Diablo reveal.  They had it as the capstone of their opening ceremony for Blizzcon.  They thought we would want this game.  Holy shit are they wrong.  This is a game that you announce any other time.  If they had done that it would not have been nearly the problem that it is.  If they wanted to do this at Blizzcon they needed to tease D4, or some Diablo PC/Console game.  Then, and only then, they could have said, 'Oh hey, we also have this coming to tide you over.'

It is not that Blizzard deserves the hate that they received; it's that they earned it.

Cluck Kent

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2018, 08:20:58 PM »
Yeah...that analogy doesn't work for me.

It is not that Blizzard deserves the hate that they received; it's that they earned it.

Agreed. Well earned. They demonstrated a clear and present disconnect with their audience. I can't imagine a greater corporate faux pas.  It's difficult to come up up an apt analogy.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2018, 09:48:45 AM »
You know things are bad when Blizzard is getting owned by Dominos.

https://www.facebook.com/DominosMY/photos/a.180244505442035/1401250033341470/?type=3&theater

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2018, 10:39:26 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2Ed4bPlnK4&feature=youtu.be&t=2233

This week we have an awesome chat with GGG Co Founder Jonathan Rogers, who has some harsh thing to say about Red Dead 2. He also shares some interesting thoughts about Diablo Immortal

ggg is the maker of Path of Exiles. 

I thought there were a couple of interesting nuggets in there, and all of this is speculation so take it for what it is worth. 

He speculates about why they did not mention D4.  (my interpretation of what I heard.)
  • That D4 is in turmoil and that they might not be able to produce it.  As a public company they can't talk about a product that might not see the light of day.
  • That is under development but that it is not even close to having anything to show for it and that a year from now (next Blizzcon) they still wouldn't have anything to show
  • That they are working on Diablo products that are not an Action RPG

And for what it is worth here is a picture, that supposedly shows Chan at a (netease) meeting where they are discussing P2W/Monetization for Diablo Immortal.  I certainly can't read that board.

Thread with a bit of a translation of the picture.
https://old.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/9wlxho/picture_netease_and_blizzard_meeting_and_the/
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 10:55:46 AM by Sssith »

hurtlocker

• Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2018, 01:07:35 PM »
A little ironic they all have PC's, don't you guys have phones?