Author Topic: My first trip to Europe!  (Read 392 times)

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 12
    • View Profile
My first trip to Europe!
« on: October 29, 2018, 05:34:53 PM »
I haven't been to Europe yet, but I'm going to be able to change that with a work trip .. next February in the middle of winter!  I need to be in Brussels for the week 18-22.    I've heard its a pretty big week so after this it will be heading straight home.  I'm looking to see what I can possibly do before this.

I do have some constraints of not too much time/money, but I don't want to just head over and back without a little detour which is actually encouraged.

At this point I haven't booked any flights/trains etc so that's all possibilities! I'm gutted I can't do this properly, but I need to make the most of it ..

So, what would you recommend I do on the way to Brussels?  I've heard some people fly to London, then get the Eurostar over.  I've always wanted to go to the UK.    I'm going to have close to 24 hours flying just to get that far ..

GIVE ME YOUR SUGGESTIONS! :D If you are local and want to catch up, let me know. I've met a few forumites here (Icebird, Plank), Aussie (Paradox, Shivan, Grogs) and the US (Frolf and DariusTriplet).

Lego

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 8
    • View Profile
Re: My first trip to Europe!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 05:47:47 PM »
No idea what to do but I'm pretty envious. Nice!!  8)

Silverthorn

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 07:01:52 AM »
Brussels has some terrific restaurants, especially within the area of the EU headquarters.
Might as well visit the "atomium" if you're there anyhow. The parc around it is pretty nice as well.

Kasferatu

• Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 03:04:55 PM »
I've never been to Brussels, and have no idea what your route structure into Europe would look like.  If you end up going via any of the major European cities you'd easily be able to fill the time with awesome stuff and probably still feel there is stuff you missed.

I'm honestly not sure where all the European gamersoasis members are based.  I'm a couple of hours out of London by train so a trip up is feasible depending on dates and family commitments.

Godji

• Cookies: 1
  • Hatter than the Hat Madder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 05:57:05 PM »
Dammit, it happens 6 months after I've moved to Canada, Paris Brussels is reasonably doable by car.

Brussels has a small but charming old town. It won't keep you busy much more than a day, but worth seeing. And yes, it is a city where you can eat well, and drink world-famous beer for cheap.
Not many recommendations beyond this. It's a pleasant city to live in from what I've always heard, but not an extremely touristic one. Not sure it is of a huge interest to anyone outside UE, but it is the siege of most European institutions, there are some interesting visits to do there, but again, probably irrelevant to you.

Now, one hour by train away from Brussels (about 15 Euros) you have Bruges, which is a beautiful city to visit. It's referad as the Venice of the North since much like Venice it is built on canals, architecture is quite typical, if you can have a whole day, do consider a roundtrip there.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 08:09:28 PM »
Dammit, it happens 6 months after I've moved to Canada, Paris Brussels is reasonably doable by car.

Brussels has a small but charming old town. It won't keep you busy much more than a day, but worth seeing. And yes, it is a city where you can eat well, and drink world-famous beer for cheap.
Not many recommendations beyond this. It's a pleasant city to live in from what I've always heard, but not an extremely touristic one. Not sure it is of a huge interest to anyone outside UE, but it is the siege of most European institutions, there are some interesting visits to do there, but again, probably irrelevant to you.

Now, one hour by train away from Brussels (about 15 Euros) you have Bruges, which is a beautiful city to visit. It's referad as the Venice of the North since much like Venice it is built on canals, architecture is quite typical, if you can have a whole day, do consider a roundtrip there.

I'm yet to travel to Canada .. but when I do :D

Thanks for the ideas so far, working on getting my passport renewed.  Also looking about insurance for a pre-existing condition where I did go to hospital a few months ago for planned surgery.  That may leave things a bit expensive or risky ..