Author Topic: Diablo 4?  (Read 511 times)

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 4?
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2018, 03:36:41 PM »
LOL

Sssith

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2018, 03:38:50 PM »
I feel a little bad for the guy who is making the presentation.  When there was no reaction to the announcements you can literally see him start to sweat bullets.

Not a good day for Blizzard.  An even worse day for the Diablo franchise.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2018, 03:41:19 PM »
The day Diablo finally died for good. ;)

Kasferatu

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2018, 03:44:05 PM »
I guess I was right about it being something they could milk for microtransactions.  That is the heart of mobile gaming after all.  Didn't expect it to be an MMO because of cannibalising WoW subs, but this is so far away from WoW that that is certainly not going to be a problem.

Lego

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2018, 04:31:39 PM »
"Is this an out-of-season April Fools Joke?"

Fucking savage

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2018, 04:42:21 PM »
Sadly for Blizzard that is going to be the highlight of the year for them.

syn

• Cookies: 9
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2018, 09:16:23 PM »
"do you guys not have phones?"

what a douchebag.
"There is a scene in Star Wars where the heroes are in a trash compactor on the Death Star with the walls closing in. I'm reminded of that this morning, except for perhaps the stuff about the heroes."
Dan Rather 9/14/18

Orbert

• Cookies: 151
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2018, 09:42:05 PM »
Amazing. So the "multiple Diablo-related projects" were Diablo for Switch and Diablo for Mobile.  I can't even think of two things I'd be less interested in.  I mean yeah, I bagged on MMORPG Diablo but even that I thought would be PC-based.

Diablo Go

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2018, 10:49:28 AM »
The literal definition of a shitshow.

It's surprising that they were surprised that we didn't want this.

I am still Blown Away by how out of touch they are with the player base.

I think it's time to uninstall Diablo 3 again.

Can you imagine how pissed you would be if you paid money to fly down to BlizzCon with the idea of seeing the new Diablo IP?

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2018, 02:23:12 PM »
Me too.  The pay-to-play model is not for me, nor is the whole MMORPG (did I spell that right?) thing, free or not.  But I'll pay for a game, and if I get several hours of fun out of it, then that's a good return on investment.  With the Diablo games, it's more like several hundred hours, so unquestionably good as far as I'm concerned.

If, like with the Necromancer, they add another character and/or some new areas for $15, sure.  More of the same, yeah, but if it's fun, it's worth it.

I keep thinking back to this post.  For most of us, this is one of the main things we enjoy about a good Diablo game.  Instead of pay once, or maybe the odd expansion, they will try to nickel and dime us forever, as well as trying to charge the price of full games for some in game stuff based on some other games.  Sometimes to get the "best value" I could pay $140 NZ in another game for some secondary currency, but due to the costs of stuff in game, that only goes so far.

If anyone does play this, I think don't pay an actual cent for it.

Also the fact that if you play Diablo3, no matter how much you dislike it, when you are in game, there are no distractions from the gameplay till you leave.  Mobile games will most likely have pop up ads, or ads you can play to skip cool down timers on loot boxes. The same loot boxes some countries have banned due to how they are basically just gambling.

Blizzard are trying to say they are working out this stuff still, but the number of games with no in-app purchases is terribly low.

Orbert

• Cookies: 151
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2018, 03:43:42 PM »
I think they've reached the point where they just don't know what to do next.  The Diablo storyline, such as it is, is getting harder and harder to follow-up on.  I thought D2 took the original Diablo lore and expanded on it in an interesting way, and while the D3 story wasn't as well received overall, they took us further, gave us the other Lesser Evils, and added more to the lore.  Let's forget for a moment the retconning they did.

My point is that a "real" Diablo 4 would need to not only be a good game in and of itself, something I'm not sure Blizz even knows how to do anymore, but also continue the story in some kind way that isn't completely ridiculous.  And where can they take the story now?  It's done.  Cain is dead.  Tyreal was rebuilding the Horadrim again, but Lorath was lame.  And the buy-once-play-forever business model just doesn't bring the cash.

So they locked themselves in a room and came up with "What if we take Diablo to other platforms?"  Diablo Playstation.  Diablo Switch.  Diablo Go.

It may be time to just close this chapter.  I still play D3, and altogether I got many, many hours of entertainment out of Diablo games.  It was a good run.  But I just don't see where they can go from here and still call it Diablo.

Sigilstun

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2018, 05:16:55 PM »
"do you guys not have phones?"

what a douchebag.

Yeah, that was a pretty stupid response considering he's talking to a gathering of Blizzards most hardcore, mostly PC using fans that spent a fuckload of money on tickets and travel expenses.

I also have a microwave, but I don't cook steak in it.
Don't mind me. I'm just admiring the shape of your skull.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2018, 05:18:58 PM »
I have veins but I don't put heroin in them