Author Topic: Diablo 4?  (Read 122 times)

Sssith

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 14
    • View Profile
Diablo 4?
« on: October 08, 2018, 09:57:53 AM »
I am sure you people have seen the rumors about a big announcement coming for Diablo.  Somehow I doubt that it will be D4.  I do wonder what the news will be.  Diablo pen and paper I bet!   :P

Pixie

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 13
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 4?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 10:24:57 AM »
Diablo MMO.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 02:11:20 PM »
Diablo MMO.

OMG!  You are probably right.  That would be so sad.

Kasferatu

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 10:21:58 AM »
I doubt it will be an MMO. They can't afford to cannibalize WoW subs. I doubt it's going to be a traditional Diablo game either. Looking at HS, HoTS and Overwatch they are all riddled with monetization stuff.  I'll guess an episodic game or something more like D3 with seasons that have enough new content each time they can charge for access to each one.  My longshot guess, Diablo battle royale. Though I think an overwatch engine based battle royale is more likely.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 05:59:54 PM »
That sounds really shitty too.   :-\

Ray Patean

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 07:47:18 AM »
Diablo is one of the top selling franchises is history. Why would they totally change the game style and what has made the franchise so successful?

I'm holding out some small hope for D4, but would also be ok with a D2 remaster.

Kasferatu

• Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 12:47:11 PM »
Because Activision Blizzard has moved on from where it was. The return on investment is so much higher for games with microtransactions. They are prevalent in Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch and WoW. They tried to put them in D3. They've shoehorned them into Starcraft 2. That's just the way the big players in the gaming industry are moving. To expect D4 to have the same business model as D2 is hopeful at best.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 06:21:25 PM »
The merger really changed them, they were a for profit company before, but box sales/expansions vs the rest isn't the same.  I'm sure whatever they do will look great and will get hyped.

Darkness

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 05:20:26 AM »
I doubt it will be an MMO. They can't afford to cannibalize WoW subs. I doubt it's going to be a traditional Diablo game either. Looking at HS, HoTS and Overwatch they are all riddled with monetization stuff.  I'll guess an episodic game or something more like D3 with seasons that have enough new content each time they can charge for access to each one.  My longshot guess, Diablo battle royale. Though I think an overwatch engine based battle royale is more likely.

I also doubt it will be an MMO, although not because it is likely to have any impact on WoW. Money to Blizzard is still money to Blizzard and they're looking to draw people back through the power of nostalgia to the shitshow that is "WoW Classic."

D4 is unlikely as well, given the lack of industry noises about that and the recent launch on the Nintendo switch. More likely another expansion or series of monetised episodic content for players. I suspect the overhead of running D3 is low for Blizzard, as it is for D2 and they probably have a model for adding optional content (at a cost) which won't disrupt the existing userbase and make the fans feel compelled they have to buy it in order to get involved.