Author Topic: Borderlands Sanctuary  (Read 3399 times)

Sssith

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Borderlands Sanctuary
« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2018, 09:54:02 AM »
Finished playing the first go through of BL:TPS with Nisha.  She was a pretty fun build.  I pretty much went straight down the Riflewoman tree.  About as easy a build to do in Borderlands normal.  I died but not a lot.  Much easier than Maya or Axton.

It was good to complete, as it gives a bit of sense of where the game might head in BL3.  It does open up some plot holes between BL1, BL:TPS, and BL2, but these games are never great with how they handle story.

As a whole BL:TPS was better than I was expecting.  It is easy to see why the game is not as good as BL2.  But there are some things that they nail very well.  The main quest line was pretty damn good.  Some good fights that kept you moving and good pacing.  The side quest, on the other hand, mostly sucked.  They also over did all the 'Oz' elements of the game.  I get it, the game was made in Australia and they are rightfully proud.  But they just hammer that point over and over.  Honestly, did everyone from Australia get exiled to the Pandora moon?  All that said I would encourage a play through to anyone who likes the game series as a whole.

Lego

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2018, 01:02:15 PM »
So am I correct in that to get anywhere in these games you have to grind for gear?

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2018, 01:29:11 PM »
I did zero griding in normal mode.  Like D2 there is three modes, Normal, True Vault Hunter Mode (TVHM), and Ultimate Valult Hunter Mode (UVHM).  If you want to go into UVHM you will need to get better gear to survive.  And there are specific things that that the classes need/use.  But the game is set up in such a way that you generally know who/what you need to do to get that gear and it is honestly not too grindy.  Now if you want to get the very best gear you will need to grind just like you do in D2/D3 and all these games.  But if you are just aiming to get through to the end of UVHM you can generally get there with a reasonable amount of running bosses/areas.

Honestly I think it is pretty well set up in this regard.  A good example is that in BL2 almost everyone will run Savage Lee to get the Unkempt Harrold.  Now if you want a 'perfect' version of that weapon you have to, unless you get lucky, kill him a thousand times.  Now if your name is Grog that is no problem.  I generally settle for a pretty good version instead.  Now if you want a Twister that is really tough no matter what you do, and that will take some grinding.  Most items are closer to the Savage Lee/Unkempt Harrod example.  Generally a mini boss like him will have a chance to drop a special unique and have a 1 in 10 chance of doing so.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2018, 04:29:22 PM »
So am I correct in that to get anywhere in these games you have to grind for gear?

I never did. I beat the game solo just playing it straight through with no extra grinding.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2018, 05:03:46 PM »
my only grinding was for achievements.  I felt satisfied to have done it all and seen it all, then I didn't want to do it again :P

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2018, 06:55:11 PM »
Finished Claptrap's Voyage.  Overall it was a pretty good DLC.

Not sure if I am going to level Nisha to UVHM.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2018, 10:07:18 AM »
Digging around on my back up hard drives I came across my old Borderlands save files.  Opened Gaige up and I am playing her a bit right now.  She is level 44 or so and overall doing pretty well.  While Anarchy is pretty fun I do not like being dependent on all those stacks.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2018, 12:00:01 PM »
So I got my original Gaige character to UVHM.  Which reminds me how much I dislike the beginning of UVHM.  Takes a bit of work to get up to speed in the beginning.  I am currently having problems killing midgemon.  All my weapons are under powered.  I need to get my slagging on.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2019, 09:51:12 AM »
Well, I have a level 45 Zero who is closing in on ending TVHM.

Right now I have Sawtooth Cauldron --> Info Stockade --> The Warrior left.

Finding guns that deal enough damage has been a struggle at times.

While I have been enjoying playing Zero the Action Skill has been underwhelming for me.   Then I got Death Blossom (the capstone of the middle tree) and all of a sudden the Action Kill is Amazing.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2019, 04:56:22 PM »
Bunker running with Zero is ridiculous.  Getting to the Bunker...tough.  Killing everything there was easy and Bunker itself is so easy with Bore.

I am level 46 now I think.  I should be just about level 50 when I finish TVHM. 

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2019, 10:19:03 AM »
I have made it to UVHM with Zero.  I am now level 54 and suffering many deaths.  For those not in the know, UVHM is rather brutal.  Particularly in the first ten levels (50-60).  I am trying to be patient and take my time going through levels.  Rushing == Death.  A bit frustrating at times but I am starting to get my footing.

I am about to start running Mercenary Day to both level up and improve my equipment.

Darkness

• Cookies: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2019, 04:40:09 AM »
I am about to start running Mercenary Day to both level up and improve my equipment.

This is how I made UHVM, as it is easily the best source of at level drops you can get. Getting into the sweet spot by the lift and headshots (and death blossom) onto the boss from there is how I managed it as Zero. Gets tough in the final phase though where he starts lobbing explosive icicles near your position and you may need to keep the little snowmen up for a second wind.

Also worth doing a spot of farming in the Enchanted Forest of the Tiny Tina DLC for a Bee shield.

syn

• Cookies: 9
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2019, 04:04:47 PM »
sort of bored working through TVHM.

being told to go buy a fire weapon from marcus (necessary for the next story mission) only to have marcus not have one available for sale makes me simply exit the game.
Buttigieg on Trump: "It is the nature of grotesque things that you can't look away."  5/19/19

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2019, 05:00:08 PM »
when you get to Tundra Express there is a snowman on the right.  Shoot the head and you will find a fire weapon.

And yes.  TVHM is annoying as hell.  It follows the old Diablo thing of Normal --> Nightmare --> Hell.  The goal is to get through it as quickly as possible if you have an interest in doing UVHM.  UVHM is pretty challenging though so it is not for everyone.

Darkness

• Cookies: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2019, 04:06:49 AM »
TVHM is harder than UVHM because you can be underlevelled for the content and it will really hurt you. Although if you want a challenge, trying to get through TVHM at the lowest level possible, will make for an easier start to UVHM.