Author Topic: Borderlands Sanctuary  (Read 1525 times)

Sssith

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Borderlands Sanctuary
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2018, 09:44:15 AM »
I went back to playing Axton.

I am going to try to streamline leveling.  The goal is to mainly do just the main quests on first and second play through.  I am going to try to level up by doing certain runs.  The target is fifty by the end of TVHM.  At that point I will settle in for a fuller play through.

I will probably play Brick more, when I do I will need to level him more.

Darkness

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2018, 06:30:30 AM »
I went back to playing Axton.

How're you finding him? I quite enjoy Axton, with turret placement and abilities providing a different tactical approach.

I am going to try to streamline leveling.  The goal is to mainly do just the main quests on first and second play through.  I am going to try to level up by doing certain runs.  The target is fifty by the end of TVHM.  At that point I will settle in for a fuller play through..

I think I managed to complete TVHM at level 49. With Axton the final fight with the Warrior I found to be a bit of a pain due to poor weapon choices on my part. I'm not sure I have an optimal build for UVHM as I'm very focused on turrets and probably need to think more about synergies involving grenade damage.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2018, 09:53:37 AM »
It seems to me that, for the most part, Axton's skills are well thought out giving you a lot of choices on how to do the build.  There are a couple must haves like bullet storm, sentry and ready, then you get to branch off in different ways.  You can be a jack of all trades and have good survivability, you can be grenade focused, or you can specialize in turrets.  I am kind of digging the versatility.  In Maya, who I think is pretty well designed, you kind of need to go with Ruin in order to do UVHM.  The comparable skill for Axton is Double Up where your turret gets slag.  But with Axton you can ignore that and use your grenades to take care of the slag for you.

At this point I am leaning toward doing a Double Up, Grenade combo build.  Not really sure but I am liking the idea of having a ton of fireball grenades.  All good choices.  I have also heard that by Axton is the top solo Raid Boss Killer.  Has something to do with using the explosion from Tediore reloads.  Haven't fully looked into that as I find the Raid bosses annoying as hell.

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2018, 12:40:31 PM »
I was under the impression that Salvador and Maya were the strongest for boss killing, with Axton being rather weaker but, not as situationally limited as Zer0.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2018, 02:00:25 PM »
Sal is good for Raid bosses because of the grog 'exploit'.  Not a true exploit but pretty close.  As for Maya I don't think she is good for solo Raiding.  Multiplayer she is great to have along because she can boost the whole party.  It is possible that I suck at her and that I am wrong but the problem with Boss and Maya is that Phase lock does nothing, or very little, to them.  A lot of her skills depend on having phase lock up.  The one thing she can do is use a Sandhawk with a bee shield.  That combined with reaper can take down a boss health quickly.  The problem lies in getting a Sandhawk that is the right level. edit -- There is also a COM that boosts SMG damage that is important to have.

As for Axton I don't have all the info but the trick lines in taking advantage of a tediore weapon reload where you throw the weapon on the boss.  He has very fast reload and with the resulting explosion and buffs he can supposedly tear down a boss quickly.  I guess somewhere the is a site that has a record of the best speeds for boss running and that Axton is at the top of those lists.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 02:02:11 PM by Sssith »

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2018, 04:52:02 PM »
The more I hear about you guys grinding and getting the good gear, it makes me compare this to Diablo.  The way I played it was the equivalent of almost a single pass pick up what I find and just be happy with that!  I'm sure the journey would have been easier, if I'd bothered to farm (not easy or fun).

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2018, 05:07:24 PM »
Like D3 (before the expansion) or D2 the real game is UVHM and getting to level 72; and if you really feel tough 0P8.  In order to do that you really do need to farm for gear.  D3, with expansion, makes it really easy to get base line gear.  That said if you want to run the high level GRs you have to go back to grinding for the top end gear.

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2018, 06:24:05 PM »
Unlike D3, with Bl2 you can target where your gear comes from and that is much more satisfying. I'm doing this area/mob/boss for this item.

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2018, 06:06:24 AM »
Went to Opportunity and completed "The man would be Jack" quest, leaving the sidequests for later when I hit lvl 72. I died a lot in Opportunity, there are so many ambushes and its easy to get surrounded by enemies very quickly. I like the design of the zone and its atmosphere so it doesn't annoy me as much as Sawtooth Cauldron does.

After that I cleared the Gobbler DLC, which was surprisingly easy and I had a lot of successful fight for your life returns. The Gobbler was really, really easy to kill but, didn't drop any interesting loot.  By far the hardest part of the DLC are the Grandma Flexington quests, which are a painfully realistic simulation of listening to an elderly relative go on and on and on and on. It did get me to level 67.

I then decided to farm for some higher lvl Lyuda's but, they just weren't dropping. I got a few really nice Veruc upgrades (including elemental ones, which are something I've not seen before) but, I didn't get a Lyuda drop until I was ready to pack in for the night and had nearly gained lvl 68 in the process. It was a nice drop though, corrosive damage as well, which is presently lacking from my Lyuda arsenal. One thing I've noticed doing these runs is, thanks to my gear, they are going so much faster. In some cases as fast as a couple of minutes and sometimes I'll have killed Mobly or Gettle without realising it until after the other one was dead. Which is pretty cool and has the game feeling more like it appears in videos of UVHM players just annihilating everything in their path.

I am giving serious consideration to installing the community path, just for all the gameplay improvements and fixes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxf45ah6ic5m18q/Full%20UCP%20Changelog.txt?dl=0
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:14:34 AM by Darkness »

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2018, 09:52:25 AM »
That does seem like some nice improvements.  Though the pimpernel and sandhawk were not given a boss run.

That is tempting.

My Axton is level 22 and only doing the mainline quests.  Need to figure out a good way to get some levels as I am at the same level as my quests.  My list of uncompleted quests is a mile long right now.

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2018, 05:44:32 PM »
Though the pimpernel and sandhawk were not given a boss run.

They're insanely good weapons for quest rewards so having them on a boss run seems a trifle excessive when you can farm them repeatedly by backing up your save.

I am enjoying the improved Tunguska Pearlescent I got whilst farming Tinder to lvl 72.

Ding lvl 72!

Farmed my lvl 72 Lyudas. Now farming Bee. Then onto the Pimpernel and Sandhawk!

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2018, 07:47:27 AM »
That does seem like some nice improvements.  Though the pimpernel and sandhawk were not given a boss run.

Apparently they have a 33% chance of dropping from H3RL

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2018, 09:39:55 AM »
Ah...nice.  If I remember correctly it take a bit of work to run to where he is.

So how is the community patch?  Should I switch?

I assume once you switch you can't really go back.  Yes I would back up my characters.

Edit -- My update...I am done with normal mode of Axton.  Onto TVHM.  In many respects The Warrior is a tougher fight at that level. I finished at level 30.  I am now level 36 I think.  I have finished farming Unkempt Harold and a fastball.  I am leveling a bit at Tinder.  Then I am going to make as quick a bee line to UVHM as I can.  I hope to just do the main quests again to get there quickly. 

Generally the expectation is to be at 30 at the end of Normal and then you can't easily go higher than 50 in TVHM.  It is interesting that without doing side quests I was able to get to thirty with only a little of leveling.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 09:44:40 AM by Sssith »

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2018, 11:51:26 AM »
Question about the CP.  If I use it and play with my Maya can she go back to playing in the regular version.  I am guessing no but it seems like you can switch between the versions so I am curious.

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2018, 12:28:25 PM »
You need to activate the CP each time you boot up the game. I'm using BCLMM to install the patches (makes it really easy) and each time I log in I just open the game console and type: exec patch.txt

As far as I can tell, you can switch freely between regular BL2 and the CP version. I know I have done when I've booted the game and forget to enter the patch command.

In terms of gameplay, it doesn't obviously change anything. It doesn't start raining items at you or anything and I've mostly only played Zer0 so far. I do find the changes to Zer0 make him a little more forgiving to play, which is nice. Axton has the most changes so may fiddle around with him tonight.

I've mainly be legendary midget farming (using the mod "No More Orders" as I'd already completed the Doctors Orders quest with Zer0). Had a couple of Pearls drop so far (the Stormfront sniper which is pretty cool and a better Tunguska than the one I already had) plus a few legendaries, including another Bee Shield. I need to start levelling my other characters so they can store more stuff.

The Midget farming goes pretty smoothly, mainly thanks to my arsenal of Pimpernels in each elemental flavour. Very satisfying getting the B0re effect on a Hyperion bot as its spawning in and having it explode before its even finished transforming into combat mode.