Author Topic: So I fired up D2 again  (Read 3083 times)

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 12
    • View Profile
Re: So I fired up D2 again
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2018, 09:01:41 PM »
I fired it up as well.  I found I had 2 characters in normal with my uber levelling gear.  A paladin who one day wants to have multi auras was pushed through Diablo and is leveling in act 5 before the ancients now.  A druid who will use Armageddon finished the 2nd half of act 2.

and GG on the stormspire.  As you say, for someone who was around in the 1.09 days, that will ALWAYS be extra special to read on the ground.  The fact it is now one of the most unusable TC87s .. that's something else ;)  Just hope you don't mull over the fact it could have been something better

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2018, 10:30:48 PM »
Well, it was a grail-er, so that's always good.  The fact that I already have 5 Reaper's Tolls (2 Ethereal) softens the blow, since that Decrepify is so dang good.  I've noticed that I've been having major trouble finding a lot of the not-so-GG 1.09 uniques.  I found a Crown of Ages, Giant Skull, 2 Kira's Guardians and 2 Andariel's Visages before finding my first Harlequin Crest (which dropped at the same time as a Griffon's).  I've found 25 or so Rare Wire Fleeces without seeing Gladiator's Bane, 25 or so Rare Balrog Skins without an Arkaine's Valor, 6-7 Rare and 40+ magic Swirling Crystals without an Oculus, etc.  I had never found the Hellslayer but then I found 4 within the same HOUR (and then none afterwards).  I think there's something weird going on with the RNG in my version of the game, since I've seen at least 20 occurrences of the exact same unique dropping in consecutive runs (never a really good one though). 

Just had a really nice Eschuta's Temper drop, after the first 3 I found were all garbage.  +3 skills (1-3), +20% Fire damage (10-20), +17% Lightning Damage (10-20), +24 Energy (20-30).  The 40% FCR meets a breakpoint I need with my Lightning Sorc, but sadly that means dropping below 3 items of the Tal's set because I'll never find the damn Ammy, losing 65% MF.  Arguably still worth it for the extra skills and damage over the Tal's Orb.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2018, 12:42:13 AM »
Jewelry time!  Just found my first Mara's Kaleidoscope from Meph (+23 resists), then found my 2nd Stone of Jordan from one of Eldritch's minions.  My 1st SoJ was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in vanilla D2 in 2000, and I never found another during all those years in 1.09-1.10.  Only took 18 years to find another.

Sssith

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2018, 09:41:09 AM »
I never did find an SOJ.  Stupid ring.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2018, 02:14:55 PM »
I got a paladin to finish normal last night. He will one day use multi auras

Melchior

• THAC0: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2018, 05:21:48 PM »
Keep posting guys, I'm so close to reinstalling  ;D

Orbert

• Cookies: 151
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2018, 05:34:32 PM »
I never did find an SOJ.  Stupid ring.

I remember right after I got Diablo II, sitting down with the player's guide to D2 (I think it was BradyGames?) and reading all those tables in the back that listed items and sets and all the mods.  Stone of Jordan with +1 to All Skills just sounded so amazing!  Yeah, when I find them, I gotta make sure to hang on to them.  That the odds were so low that you could play for 10 years and never see one didn't even occur to me; I just figured it was an item in the game, you play long enough, you'll find one.

I think I found one eventually, but this was D2X after all the power creep and you could get +2 to All Skills on items or as set bonuses and +1 to entire skill trees on charms and all kinds of other stuff.  That +1 to All that seemed so amazing was so tame by then.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2018, 08:02:27 PM »
Yeah, you can get +skills from a lot of sources, though there are a ton of characters that use the mana boost so they don't need any points in energy.  After finding a Death's Fathom and a Stormshield (not really necessary but I've never used one before) I made a Blizzard Sorc to use them, but putting those points into Strength meant she has fewer for Vitality or Energy, so that SoJ is helping a lot. 

Starting to find some of those annoying TC3 uniques with my Holy Fire Paladin.  Not planning on taking him very far in the game, but I got to him to lvl 23 or so to use Kinemil's Awe for that +6 to Holy Fire, toast everything in Act 1 and farm Coldcrow, Bone Ash and Andariel with Sigon's set, Tarnhelm and Nagelrings for MF.  Found Biggin's Bonnet and Greyform.  Down to 63 items for the grail. 

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2018, 02:31:24 PM »
Got an Ohm rune last night to move me 1/8th closer to a Ber for Beast ..