Author Topic: New AAA games on their own publishers platforms  (Read 178 times)

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 12
    • View Profile
New AAA games on their own publishers platforms
« on: August 08, 2018, 04:51:37 PM »
Well I read that Fallout 76 will be on the Bethesda Launcher, not on Steam.  Fortnite apparently has done well,  I hear CoD 4 will be Battlenet only etc.  I can understand a few reasons for this but it is a bit frustrating too.

I've also read talk about when gaming moves to a Netflix type model, pay a monthly subscription(s) and have a licence to play game(s) for that month vs just buying it.  Might be interesting for some, but at times, knowing its on your account and they can't remove it is nice as well!

Sssith

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 17
    • View Profile
Re: New AAA games on their own publishers platforms
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 10:28:12 AM »
The problem is that Steam/PlayStore seems to be charging too much to host the game.  Which in turn motivates people to do it differently.  I hope people look at uPlay as an example of a traptastic platform and realize that it is not that easy to do.  Origin is tolerable.  But the last thing I want is multiple of these things on my computer.

As for subscription, I don't think it is for me.  I prefer the current model.  I don't play a ton of different games.  I tend to go for long stretches on a single game.  Having 'access' to all at the same time is wasted for me.  I rather buy and own a game than do that.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 12
    • View Profile
Re: New AAA games on their own publishers platforms
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 02:39:20 PM »
30% seems an industry standard. Eg apple. I think the deva are just big enough they can just force their fans to do what they want