Author Topic: Dumb questions thread  (Read 3635 times)

mn4nu

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Dumb questions thread
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2017, 07:13:14 PM »
So what is a Mempo anyway?
It used to be the helm to have back in the day.  That and an echoing fury were must have items.  Sadly, they are now both crap.
You'd be annoyed if you were the guy who bought an EF for what was roughly $8,000 USD... https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/7199403332
LOL, what a tragedy!

TheMikrobe

• Cookies: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2017, 07:14:03 AM »
Which potions do you all use?

I usually use the Potion of Regeneration (additional life over 5 seconds) because I seem to find the most of them and it's guaranteed to do something useful, but the increase healing from all sources one is good if you have constant low-level heals and can work out to more extra health.

Kulle-Aid, burst through walls for 5 seconds, how often is that going to be worth it?!  :D I just salvage those and the fear, armour and resistance ones (maybe keep one each of those, just in case they turn out to be amazing). Teleport, too risky so I've never tried it, I'd rather know exactly what is going to happen.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 07:24:29 AM by TheMikrobe »
Diablo III (Europe): TheMikrobe#2428
ESO (Europe): @TheMikrobe

SideSBob

• THAC0: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2017, 07:29:08 AM »

I usually use the Potion of Regeneration (additional life over 5 seconds) because I seem to find the most of them and it's guaranteed to do something useful, but the increase healing from all sources one is good if you have constant low-level heals and can work out to more extra health.

Kulle-Aid, burst through walls for 5 seconds, how often is that going to be worth it?!  :D I just salvage those and the fear, armour and resistance ones (maybe keep one each of those). Teleport, too risky so I've never tried it, I'd rather know exactly what is going to happen.

The Potion of Amplification (healing from all sources) is my most typical potion to use.

Here are some exceptions:

The Potion of Regeneration on my old LoN Crusader due to recommendations.
The Potion of Fear on the Thorns/Frenzy barb due to recommendations.
Recently, I saw a recommendation that the Potion of Kulle-Aid be used for all ZDPS (especially) on
high GR pushes.  I personally found that whenever I needed to break waller in the past
I would be at full health and couldn't use the potion, but it probably isn't such an issue the
higher you go in GRs.

Supermatt

• Cookies: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2017, 07:40:27 AM »

The Potion of Amplification (healing from all sources) is my most typical potion to use.

I always use Amplification.

I can see why there are times you might want something else. The one that gives you resource seems like it'd be useful at times.

I've never actually encountered a guide that made a recommendation about using a specific potion. Just the same as they never really say which follower is better for solo play either.

TheMikrobe

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2017, 07:47:56 AM »

I always use Amplification.

I can see why there are times you might want something else. The one that gives you resource seems like it'd be useful at times.

I've never actually encountered a guide that made a recommendation about using a specific potion. Just the same as they never really say which follower is better for solo play either.

I first used used Amplification on a whirlwind barb where it's great, you never stop whirling and life per fury kicks in a lot. Some other characters I've kind of thought that often if you're healing you're also often trying to run to a safer spot so less chance of additional healing and it's better to use something you know will work. Some like the leap-quake barb I've played around with (may not be the standard build) have super-high toughness and relatively low healing so again I think Amplification might not be as good. I've looked at the one that gives you resource, but it only works if you're <50% life, so won't work if Kormac has just healed you.

Which follower (and different ways to set them up) is also a good question! My favourite is Lyndon and I have used him quite succesfully but normally Kormac's healing wins out for me.

TheMikrobe

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2017, 06:40:01 PM »
Ok, another one: "chance on". What is the chance? I guess it varies between item or skill, but my attitude is that if the game doesn't tell me the it is too low to make a difference. Probably unfair but D3 is exceptionally uninformative on these things.

The specific thing that made me ask the question is Ahavarion "chance on killing demon to gain a random shrine effect". I didn't expect to use it permanently but just testing I killed a lot of demons and got nothing so it's consigned to the useless category, but there are plenty of other things that are potentially useful with the same description.

Orbert

• Cookies: 151
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2017, 08:06:47 AM »
I like the Fear potion.  It just seems to make the most sense.  If I'm hurt enough to where I need to drink a Healing potion, there's a good chance that it's because I'm surrounded by bad guys and can't take them all on, so casting Fear on everything around me buys me some time to escape.

I know Amplification is popular, but I've never quite understood the healing "from all sources" thing.  It sounds like healing from other players, as in a multiplayer game, but since I rarely if ever multiplay, that doesn't seem like it would do me any good.  If the healing from my Templar counts, that's good, but only if he happens to do it in the next five seconds, so once again it doesn't seem very useful.

I've never liked the "chance on" effects where they don't tell you what the % chance actually is.

syn

• Cookies: 9
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2017, 08:35:24 AM »
I like the Fear potion.

me too. i've used the teleport potion a few times as well. the change in position can be a lifesaver and i haven't had it backfire (yet).
"There is a scene in Star Wars where the heroes are in a trash compactor on the Death Star with the walls closing in. I'm reminded of that this morning, except for perhaps the stuff about the heroes."
Dan Rather 9/14/18

Supermatt

• Cookies: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2017, 05:13:47 PM »
I know Amplification is popular, but I've never quite understood the healing "from all sources" thing.  It sounds like healing from other players, as in a multiplayer game, but since I rarely if ever multiplay, that doesn't seem like it would do me any good.  If the healing from my Templar counts, that's good, but only if he happens to do it in the next five seconds, so once again it doesn't seem very useful.

My assumption is that ilife from other sources inclues increases healing from Life per second, Life on Hit, health globe bonus life, life per resource spent etc and that's why I use it.

Orbert

• Cookies: 151
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2017, 06:27:37 PM »
Interesting.  I didn't even think of those.  Maybe I'll try one out more seriously next time I find one.