Author Topic: Dumb questions thread  (Read 3495 times)

SideSBob

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Dumb questions thread
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 07:25:04 AM »
Dumbish question from me for the Barb experts: what is the difference between the IK and Raekor variants of the IK/Raekor 6/4 builds?

I'm playing Barb this season and hunting an RoRG so that I can play IK/Raekor. I've already managed to roll an Ancient IK weapon...

Both are played with nearly the same set of skills.  Ancient Spear Boulder Toss is
used to heal, proc Focus and Restraint, and reset IK cooldowns.  I will assume you have
access to the standard builds.

Here are differences to note:

5 IK/3 R is the pure charge variant.  Any rune works on Furious Charge (depending
on which element you have the best bracers and ammy for). 
1. The cube - Standoff Polearm, Vile Ward, and RoRG.  Use Ancient Parthans for bracers in tough levels.
2. Paragon - Get move speed to 25% (=damage), Strength; get CC, CD, CDR; get Life %, AR, armor;
and finally take Area Damage, LpH and gold % (never reduced resource cost as it cuts down on heal
from Lp Fury Spent (should be on IK belt when using Boulder Toss).
3.  Use Sprint Marathon before charging (or the party one).
4.  This build can go 100+ GR with density.  High level RG fights involve cheese to stay alive (see Chainer
on youtube).

5 R/3 IK is doing damage from Raekor stacks used in 5s with Boulder Toss.  You
generate these stacks by charging and use them optimally 5 at a time.  It's good to have
about 25 stacks before fighting an elite pack in 65+ GRs.  This is a Physical element only
for the build.
1. The cube - 300th Spear, Skulars or Ancient Parthans (other will be used) , and RoRG.
2. Paragon - Max Fury (= more Boulder Toss damage), get move speed to 25% (convenience),
Strength; get CC, CD, CDR; get Life %, AR, armor; and finally take Area Damage, LpH and gold %
(again, never reduced resource cost as it cuts down on heal
from Lp Fury Spent (should be on IK belt when using Boulder Toss).  Max Fury on barb items too!
3.  The extra skill can be the War Cry you like best (e.g., Impunity).
4.  RG fights involve generating fury and hitting with Boulder Toss.  It can't go nearly as high in
rifts.  Not cheesy on RG but has trouble by mid-80's to low 90's.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 07:27:42 AM by SideSBob »

Lego

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 05:32:09 PM »
Ok. I'm playing on PS3. I tried to do a rift, but I need "Rift Shards" or something? How do I come about these?

TheMikrobe

• THAC0: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 05:41:34 PM »
If you do a Nephalem rift and you're level 70 then the boss at the end will drop one or more.
Diablo III (Europe): TheMikrobe#2428
ESO (Europe): @TheMikrobe

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 05:59:23 PM »
I'm not sure, but sometimes the PC/console versions can have different versions/rules.  This may be back to a thing where you did these "trials"to see how strong you were, then it let you into a rift.  Perhaps there are some other PS3 players that could advise? or else we should Google what it means for you.

Lego

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 06:53:26 PM »
Yeah, i think it works a bit differently. It's where you would normally just go and do a rift on PC. Unless it's just in a different place on the PS3?

TheMikrobe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2017, 05:21:49 PM »
Bane of the Stricken: "Each attack you make against an enemy...".

What counts as an attack? Easy to understand for a targetted direct-acting skill, either spell or weapon based. I'm not too worried about the details of channelled skills like whirlwind, presumably every time it hits (or tries to hit) an enemy instead of on a selected target. The skill types I have questions for are:

(1) Damage over time: (a) directly applied to monsters, e.g. bleed, poison, Haunt; (b) applied to all monsters in an area, e.g. Earthquake, Acid Cloud. My guess is it only counts the first hit on the monster, but it could count every time the game takes health off it???

(2) Skills and buffs that are activated and then randomly target monsters, e.g. Spirit Barage/Manitou rune, Wreath of Lightning legendary gem.

(3) Pets: do their attacks count?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 05:23:42 PM by TheMikrobe »

SideSBob

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2017, 06:06:23 AM »
Bane of the Stricken: "Each attack you make against an enemy...".

What counts as an attack? Easy to understand for a targetted direct-acting skill, either spell or weapon based. I'm not too worried about the details of channelled skills like whirlwind, presumably every time it hits (or tries to hit) an enemy instead of on a selected target. The skill types I have questions for are:

(1) Damage over time: (a) directly applied to monsters, e.g. bleed, poison, Haunt; (b) applied to all monsters in an area, e.g. Earthquake, Acid Cloud. My guess is it only counts the first hit on the monster, but it could count every time the game takes health off it???

(2) Skills and buffs that are activated and then randomly target monsters, e.g. Spirit Barage/Manitou rune, Wreath of Lightning legendary gem.

(3) Pets: do their attacks count?

(1) Stricken gets a stack per tick on the 1st mob hit.

(2) These should add a stack but you can always strip items/passives
except one and test to see how the numbers change.

(3) No, pets do not stack Stricken, but do benefit from RG
damage and your other Stricken stacking casts.

TheMikrobe

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2017, 08:35:32 AM »
Ok, cheers. More powerful than I expected on DoT skills.

Probably worth keeping it on my WD if I can spread the Haunt around properly (I usually can), especially if the Manitou also affects it since that explodes with area damage thanks to the Barber. The 25% vs RGs/bosses is really noticeable.

Orbert

• Cookies: 150
    • View Profile
So what is a Mempo anyway?
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2017, 12:00:52 AM »

Supermatt

• Cookies: 8
    • View Profile
Re: So what is a Mempo anyway?
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2017, 12:24:10 AM »

Orbert

• Cookies: 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2017, 09:57:41 AM »
Pretty cool stuff, actually.  I don't remember them wearing them in "Twilight" but I didn't watch the whole thing.

mn4nu

• Cookies: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2017, 07:17:33 AM »
It used to be the helm to have back in the day.  That and an echoing fury were must have items.  Sadly, they are now both crap.

sam_manzanza

• Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2017, 05:59:35 PM »
It used to be the helm to have back in the day.  That and an echoing fury were must have items.  Sadly, they are now both crap.
You'd be annoyed if you were the guy who bought an EF for what was roughly $8,000 USD... https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/7199403332

Supermatt

• Cookies: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2017, 06:22:22 PM »
Yeah...

I'm glad that the Leaderboards generally* reflect legitimate hard work earned through hours of play and slowly improving you items by finding them yourself rather than paying to win.

Also, that the end of the AH appears to have ended widespread account hacking.

*barring a bit of RNG, 3rd party software and abuse of in-game bugs not yet fixed.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2017, 06:25:49 PM »
oh and all the botting BS