Author Topic: Still a Mess  (Read 360 times)

Sssith

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 14
    • View Profile
Still a Mess
« on: April 30, 2018, 09:36:09 PM »
I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Overall this game is still a mess.  I was expecting for things to be somewhat cleaned up.  The game is horribly laggy when I am in the Tempest.  Quests are still funky and a bit out of wack. 

At this point I am powering through the game so I can finish it.  The, as it is right now, is the best it is every going to be.  Such a waste.  They took the good name of Mass Effect and pissed all over it.  The idea of Andromeda was interesting and had potential.

At this point I have almost finished three of the main areas, Voeld, Haarval, and Eos.  Not sure how much of the game is left but I would like to finish it.

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Still a Mess
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 10:24:34 PM »
Good luck with finishing it.  I haven't picked it up after hearing they weren't going to bother fixing it.  I'm hoping Anthem will "succeed marginally", as in do just well enough to keep them afloat, but not good enough to have them spend 3-4-5 years on it, as I'm rather looking forward to DA4.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 10:49:39 PM »
I just restarted this this weekend, having abandoned it about halfway through last time. I am not finding the "mess" myself. Or anything that I would describe as "lag" - it runs at a 100% unfaltering 60fps at 1440p for me. There's some minor things that could be improved if they'd spent more time on the polishing stage, but overall I think it's pretty good. It's actually clicking pretty well for me this time. Maybe I'll finish it (ok, probably not since I have 2300 games and get distracted easily... LOL).

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 11:07:54 PM »
The lag on the tempest is god awful.  A lot of people get with no clue what is causing it.

There are all sorts of things that aren't right with how the game flows. 

And then there are stupid things like every time I open the mining window it gets explained to me.  The game is full of moments like that.

And yes...they have abandoned this game.  A sad end to Mass Effect.

I am not holding my breath for Anthem.  It seems they had these grand ideas for a Mass Effect styles Left for Dead multiplayer.  Now it seems they  are trying to add single player to it.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 11:16:46 PM »
The lag on the tempest is god awful.  A lot of people get with no clue what is causing it.

:( Weird. Unfortunate. Haven't seen it.

There are all sorts of things that aren't right with how the game flows. 

Yeah, could be. There's a "recommended optimal" path of progress put together by some folks at Reddit that works to make the game flow smooth (in terms of quests and all that), eliminating a lot of the disjointedness that people complain about, and maximizes the chances of actually beating the game by moving a lot of fluff content to the epilogue when you can faff about to your heart's content. I'd post the specifics, but it might be mildly spoilery? Anyway, it's the approach I'm taking this time. It seems promising.

And yes...they have abandoned this game.  A sad end to Mass Effect.

"End" is a bit of a stretch. They did declare this one done but I'm extremely dubious it's the end of Mass Effect as a franchise.  Unless Anthem bombs and EA shutters Bioware over it.

I am not holding my breath for Anthem.  It seems they had these grand ideas for a Mass Effect styles Left for Dead multiplayer.  Now it seems they  are trying to add single player to it.

I haven't paid a whit of attention to it, but people I know who follow the industry and stuff pretty closely seem to think there's a lot of hope there. There's a place in the market for what they're doing with it, and since they delayed it to make it better (so I heard) it suggests it's not getting the Andromeda "push it out the door" treatment, too.

I will remain cautiously optimistic. Bioware has produced too many of my favorite games for me to count them out just yet over one that didn't live up to the hype...

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 11:20:01 PM »
Also, I'm pretty sure you're on PC, so I assume you've looked into mods to sort out minor shortcomings? There's quite a few quality of life mods that help with issues people have with the game.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 11:15:10 AM »
I have not modded the game at all.

And yes I am playing it on a PC.  I think Max is our only consistent platform player. 

Godji

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 1
  • Hatter than the Hat Madder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 12:50:36 PM »
Actually, for Anthem, think much more of it as a Destiny-like.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 09:54:20 AM »
There is a small part of me that wishes I would keep track of all the little things that are wrong with this game.  I think I said this when it came out and sadly this is still true; the game needs about six months of polishing.  There are so many inconsistencies with quests and actions in the game.  There are also decisions like you not being able to control what you squad does that is annoying as hell.  ME system of pausing and selecting skills to use for your NPCs was great.  They shouldn't have taken that away.  Being able to switch to controlling a different NPC in the middle of the battle.  Shouldn't have gotten rid of that.  Being able to control the equipment that each NPC uses...shouldn't have gotten rid of that.  They dumbed down the game, I am guessing to make combat flow more smoothly.

Ah well.  Despite that I am having a good time with it.  Though once I finish playing I will uninstall and never play it again.  The original ME series I played at least three times through.

narsica

• Cookies: 7
  • Resident angry Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 10:17:39 PM »
Too bad it fell so far short of your expectations. Like Pix, I found to be a decent game. There are definitely some issues, but combat was not one of them for me. ME:A is my favorite out of all the ME games for combat. It's fluid, and flexible, and while the companions still die pretty useless deaths occasionally it feels vastly improved and superior to the pause and click style of ME1.

Considering that the entire story and planets were all built in basically a year and a half, I'm actually amazed at what they managed to accomplish.

I'm hoping to do a complete upgrade of my system in the near future, and Andromeda is pretty high on my list to play through with a much beefier video card.  ;D
To be so civilized one must tell civil lies...

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 01:16:20 AM »
I like not having to manage the NPCs equipment. (ok, I *love* not having to do so)
I like not having to micromanage them in combat.
Everything just flows nice and smooth. I do my thing, they do theirs, we kick ass, and move on.

I prefer just playing my one character, not a group. I don't like party-based RPGs very much for the same reason.

I'm hoping to do a complete upgrade of my system in the near future, and Andromeda is pretty high on my list to play through with a much beefier video card.  ;D

It's pretty sweet on a 1080. :D

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 10:00:32 AM »
First I am enjoying the game enough.  But having played all of ME multiple times and DA they are capable of so much more. 

Be aware that a high end graphics card in ME:A doesn't always translate.  There are some areas that look awesome and others that they just don't get right.  Also the lag I am experiencing on the Tempest is not solved by having a high end machine.  I am running a pretty good system and still have the problem.  Lots of people with high end machines have reported the same issue.

I get that fluid combat is a good thing.  But the way that ME:A does it sacrifices any tactical approaches that you might want try.  Being able to switch to another character allows you to try different approaches.  Also the fight doesn't end if your main character dies.  For me it makes for a more enjoyable and interesting game.  The only reason to have companions in ME:A is their side bar conversations.  Otherwise they don't add anything to the game.  Btw I heart Drack.  He easily wins best NPC in ME:A.  For me combat/companions took a massive step back in this game.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 10:31:50 AM »
Yeah, that Tempest lag thing sounds weird af. I hate inexplicable issues like that. Happy I don't have it or I'd probably ragequit.

Drack is awesome. I also adore Peebee. I keep saying I'm going to romance Suvi (that accent, /swoon) or Liam and then I end up with Peebee anyway.  <3

narsica

• Cookies: 7
  • Resident angry Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 12:55:23 PM »
It's pretty sweet on a 1080. :D

Don't know if I'll be able to go that high, but yeah.

Also, Cora for life.
To be so civilized one must tell civil lies...

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 02:36:20 PM »
Cora gets to spend the entire game on the Tempest. Where she belongs. :P