Author Topic: Update Lego Thread  (Read 470 times)

hurtlocker

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Update Lego Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 06:37:51 PM »
Hey everyone! I've been retired for over a year now so I'm into my new routine. Retirement is good, I enjoy the freedom to do whatever I want.
My wife still works, so we do things on her schedule, which is ok. I try to avoid politics because Trump pisses me off so much, guitar playing is
a good distraction. Our young dog blew out her knee and had cruciate ligament surgery a few weeks back, that has been keeping me busy lately.

I'm pretty thankful that I'm healthy and happy, I wish that for all of you!

Cluck Kent

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 06:43:34 PM »
Been nearly 2 years since I left my company and I can't believe how fast the time has gone. Would still like to do something part time from home so I can continue spending time with my younger son who is 9. He's a soccer fanatic so we been watching a lot of World Cup action.

I've been eager to move out of the city for years and a few months ago my wife decided she wanted too as well. So for the past couple of months I've been trying to catch up on 15 years of maintenance in order to get the house ready for sale. Just hit the market last week so we'll see what happens.

My older son is still walking that fine line between trying to decide whether to have a life or smoke drugs all day. He's 21 going on about 18 now I think. Fingers crossed.

Sssith

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 09:57:04 AM »
Good luck with the house sale.

21 going on 18...lol.

That seems like an accurate description for teens at times.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 09:39:29 AM »
Once again, Lego shows up, posts once, and then disappears for a year. :P

Lego

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 03:00:11 PM »
LOL Still here. Just reading about everyone ;)

narsica

• Cookies: 7
  • Resident angry Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2018, 10:03:47 PM »
On the minus side:

- 6 funerals in 6 months, including my mother-in-law (cancer), younger brother (cancer), grandmother (cancer) and some other relatives and friends.
- Dealing with inheritance/splitting up property is shitty. No one feels good afterwards.
- Middle daughter (10) is showing signs of Autism or OCD.

On the plus side:
- Promotion! Finally landed a job that I had applied for two years ago, and was told I was unqualified. Wound up filling the role temporarily for 8 months this past year (there wasn't anyone else to do it) and convinced the higher ups I could do it. Not a huge pay increase (I work in government) but I'm enjoying the work more than my previous position.
- New computer! It's niiiiiiiiiice.
- Still Canadian

Mixed bag:
- Prepping to go back to school in a year (Masters in Public Administration). Will be nice to go back to school, but it's mostly distance education done in the evenings, so it will be a bit brutal because I'll still be working full time.
To be so civilized one must tell civil lies...

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2018, 12:37:34 AM »
Narsica, that is rough, especially a younger sibling. Were they similar cancers or different?  When there is some family history it gets people a bit worried.

Great news on the job front!

narsica

• Cookies: 7
  • Resident angry Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2018, 08:17:57 PM »
Thanks Tim.

Mother in Law was pancreatic cancer (second time having it, which was a death sentence. We were lucky she lived through the first round). Brother was metastatic melanoma - he'd had it for a year and was stable, but there's no real treatment for it (aside from cutting it out) and it was in multiple places in his brain. He just went from being okay to being dead in two weeks.

My family didn't really have cancer in our history until now. My wife's family has a history of pancreatic and stomach cancer, as well as a litany of autoimmune diseases which raise the risk for cancer. We're getting genetic testing done for everyone, just to see.
To be so civilized one must tell civil lies...

maxbeedo

• Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2018, 08:26:16 PM »
- Middle daughter (10) is showing signs of Autism or OCD.

I might be able to help with this, being Autistic myself (and having a 9 yr old nephew with it), if you have any questions.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2018, 07:01:09 PM »
I'm getting towards a new normal.  I saw a nurse on Friday and she was very happy with what she saw.  At times I still get some pain, but its mainly now if I forget pills often enough.

On a different matter and something annoying, my main computer won't turn on.  It had a long beep, then 3 short beeps.  Over the last month it hasn't really been used much apart from idling for a few days earning some cards.  This really annoys me.  Its a big heavy bastard to move so I'll have to be careful I don't hurt myself when I move it.

Yesterday on a frustrating/lighter side of things, we got a phone call about 8:45am. I expected it to be the mother in law.  It was some guy asking for my wife.  She got breakfast for the kids, then went for a nap.  I woke her up (she'd slept through an alarm) and she asked if it was her mother.  Turns out it was her work and she was meant to be there at 8am and they were thinking WTF?  She thought she was starting 7pm.  She is in a rush to get out the door, and now I've got to unexpectedly look after the kids by myself all day on a wet cold wintery day with not much food around.  We got through the day, made a big mess of the lounge, and I introduced my 4 year old to plants vs zombies.  She was a bit fan of the venus fly trap, and got annoyed if I didn't put it in the roster :)