Author Topic: Update Lego Thread  (Read 1976 times)

Lego

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 8
    • View Profile
Update Lego Thread
« on: June 20, 2018, 09:01:35 AM »
Hello old friends!!

Why don't you take a minute to update me (and anyone else curious) about your life?

Sssith

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Update Lego Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 09:51:11 AM »
Why don't you just hang around so we don't have to update you?  :P

Godji

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 1
  • Hatter than the Hat Madder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 11:27:41 AM »
Doing well. Don't want to jinx it, still waiting on some work permit validation, but if everything goes well, starting in September we'll be living in Montreal again.

So I'm trying to enjoy good cheese and wine as much as I can in the meantime :p
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 11:29:48 AM by Godji »

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 02:37:58 PM »

^^^^

I still work at the same shitty place. I'm still divorced, single, suffering from crippling social anxiety, and suicidally depressed most days and generally only manage to live through the day by virtue of being too chicken to do anything about it. :P

Other than that, things are peachy. And I bought a brand-new car last week, which is the first time in my life I've had a car less than 10 years old, so I'm pretty stoked about that.

I mostly just play video games and exist.

How bout you? Haven't seen you on Fartbook in quite a while.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 04:39:43 PM »
Monday 28 May I had surgery. Was meant to be the week prior but too many called in sick.

Short story, I really had a bad time and regret going from a great state to where I am now. Bunch of things went wrong. I had put on some weight so keyhole out and now I have a long cut whereís my belly button was. That later got infected. Yay. Bowel went to sleep for almost a week so had to wait for it to wake up.had an no tube in which did as much harm as good.

Now trying not to be constantly dehydrated and regain stamina. I was in such a good place before, wish I asked for something different,

Today is the solstice. The longest night and generally Iíve been in a dark place compared to the last years. I tried to watch dr strange last night but had to stop the movie at a scene of him recovering in hospital. It. Brought on bad thoughts. Havenít gamed in weeks. Running out of leave at work fast.

Lego

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 05:31:08 PM »
Monday 28 May I had surgery. Was meant to be the week prior but too many called in sick.

Short story, I really had a bad time and regret going from a great state to where I am now. Bunch of things went wrong. I had put on some weight so keyhole out and now I have a long cut whereís my belly button was. That later got infected. Yay. Bowel went to sleep for almost a week so had to wait for it to wake up.had an no tube in which did as much harm as good.

Now trying not to be constantly dehydrated and regain stamina. I was in such a good place before, wish I asked for something different,

Today is the solstice. The longest night and generally Iíve been in a dark place compared to the last years. I tried to watch dr strange last night but had to stop the movie at a scene of him recovering in hospital. It. Brought on bad thoughts. Havenít gamed in weeks. Running out of leave at work fast.

We need to talk :(

Cluck Kent

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 11:47:27 AM »
Hang in there Tim, Lego. Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way.

mn4nu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 02:02:53 PM »
Oh Tim, I sure hope things get better fast. Like Cluck said, hang in there!  Keep talking to us.

maxbeedo

• Cookies: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 04:16:20 PM »
I've been somewhat intentionally unemployed for the last 11 months, though I have been looking around for better jobs lately.  Quit my last job after realizing how unhappy I was, due to massive cuts dumping way too much customer service responsibility on me while also coming to terms with being on the Autism spectrum (thanks in part to my nephew being diagnosed).  It seems obvious now how bad that job was for me personally.  That's not to say having the freedom to be unemployed for a while, living very cheaply off of savings, is completely fantastic, as all of my friends and family NEVER wanted to talk about work while I was working but now that's all they ever want to ask me, so somehow not working can still be stressful.  Depression and Anxiety go hand-in-hand with Autism due to the obvious social problems, but since it's the only way I've ever felt, I can't say it's any worse than what some of ya'll are going through right now.  I still play games regularly as my primary hobby, also played in and now run a 5E D&D campaign, but otherwise I stay pretty detached from the world as a whole, using mostly just Youtube and Twitch as my connections to what's happening out there.  Hope ya'll are doing well.

TheNix

• Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 06:38:51 PM »
I'm doing some sessional teaching, about 5 hours a week, but I am still a full time carer for my disabled wife.  In my free time I'm reading, playing Diablo 2 and going fishing; so not much has changed there  ;) .  Looking to start a Master of Philosophy (research and thesis) next year some time, that might be a slightly more productive use of my "free" time, but much will depend on my wife's health.

Godji

• Cookies: 1
  • Hatter than the Hat Madder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 03:35:32 AM »
Damn Tim, sorry to hear your surgery didn't go well :(
I do wish for the worst to be behind you and for a fast recovery now.

SideSBob

• Cookies: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 04:49:45 PM »

^^^^

I still work at the same shitty place. I'm still divorced, single, suffering from crippling social anxiety, and suicidally depressed most days and generally only manage to live through the day by virtue of being too chicken to do anything about it. :P

Other than that, things are peachy. And I bought a brand-new car last week, which is the first time in my life I've had a car less than 10 years old, so I'm pretty stoked about that.

I mostly just play video games and exist.

How bout you? Haven't seen you on Fartbook in quite a while.

Pixie, if you haven't already started treatment, you should seek
professional medical help.

Tim, I am sorry that your surgery didn't go better and hope you will
see improvement.

maxbeedo - I hope that you too find help where you need it.  I hope you
pick up steam with finding a better job.

TheNix - It sounds like you are doing amazingly well.

I have been in a pretty happy place lately with it being summer here.
I have been playing some D2 and some D3 on a casual basis. 
I have started playing Neverwinter on the Xbox with Chimerian and am
enjoying it. He is a pretty serious player with one elite character.  I am
not very good with Xbox controls and am really enjoying the D and D
immersion of it.  In recent weeks, there have been some visits with old
friends which is awesome.

I spent much of my time in prior months worrying about my kids and my daughter in
particular.  My time spent managing my teenage daughter's needs stemming from her
own major depressive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and bouts
with psychosis is much less now than with her being homebound for schooling
over the school year.  She has been battling this for a couple of years now and
it has been rough on the entire household, but most of all, her.  We had genetic
tests performed on her which this spring revealed the good, that there was a much
better class of antidepressants for her, and the bad, that there are no good classes of
antipsychotics for her.  This spring, she went from being totally shut down for two months,
then back into the hospital for 2 weeks for a medicine change, and after had another med
changed in her first week out of the hospital.  She started to do better and somehow even
managed to pass all of her classes.

Our oldest son will be heading off for college in late August.  It feels surreal.

Sssith

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 10:37:26 PM »
So maybe I should do an update instead of just snark. Though the snark was deserved. :-p

Overall I am doing well.  Family is doing well.  My eldest is now 17 teen which is insane to me.  Going into senior year and he is a good kid.  Drives me insane in many ways, as all teens seem to do.  I wish he had more motivation to find a passion in life. My daughter is now 15 and also driving me insane.  She has more of an idea of what she is looking for as she loves everything to do with theater and is very active and pursuing her interests.  She also has found that she enjoys working with little kids.  Still, as mentioned, driving me insane in so many other ways.

Personally, I am currently working at wine.com as a back-end software engineer.  I have to say that I am mostly satisfied with my job.  Like all jobs there are things that I like and those things that I don't.  The job is creative and there is real sense of accomplishment when I figure things out.  So while I might not have hit the nail on the head, in terms of my career, I really can't complain.  Insane to me that I now have over 20 years in my career as a programmer.  Most programmers move on to management or to a new career before they cross that threshold.  It is a struggle to keep up with all the new technology but I take satisfaction knowing I am competent at what I do.

On the negative side my father and grandmother passed somewhat recently.  Something that I imagine many of us have, at this point gone through.  Again, I a have no room to complain and I feel blessed in so many ways.

My thoughts are with those of you struggling.  I count you all among my friends and only wish the best for all of you.

syn

• Cookies: 9
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 07:26:26 PM »
doing ok.

older kiddo will be starting 3rd grade this fall. currently enjoying a series of camps during the summer break from school. circus camp this week; get to go to the end-of-camp show tomorrow, and she's super excited to show off. had a major health scare with her last year when she developed a swelling over one eye that we thought was a goose-egg from who knows what, but didn't heal. took her to an appointment for an ultrasound exam and got pretty nervous when i saw the scan. could see significant bony involvement/erosion under the swelling, which had me thinking of the shit prognosis bone cancers i see at work. took about a week to get a report from an MD, possibly the worst week i've ever had. she ended up diagnosed with langerhan's cell histiocytosis (oh yeah, that). technically benign, but locally aggressive. a bunch more medical imaging later: turned out to be the single site, which was very good. we finally ended up with both an ENT surgeon and a neurosurgeon, as the thing had eaten all the way through her skull. they gave her an incision over the top of her head from ear to ear, removed the mass, and placed a bone graft/implant to repair the skull defect. she was very self-conscious about the hair/scar, but she got major cool points at school for being allowed to wear bandannas. 2nd graders. more or less fully healed and back to a full head of hair now, although we've been told to not be scared by a little swelling in a year as the implant degrades.

younger kiddo is doing fine. extremely extroverted, unlike everyone else in the family. swear she's an alien. she's very excited to be starting pre-K this fall at the same school older kiddo goes to (and we're excited to not have to pay for full day daycare anymore).

still working at the same clinic i started at out of school in 2014. it's a love/hate relationship. my supervisor just decided with about 2 weeks notice to not come back from her second maternity leave, to be a full time stay-at-home parent. has left the place in a bit of chaos. my older kiddo has started saying she no longer wants to be a vet since i spend so much time at work and she doesn't want her future kids to be lonely; i can't say i'm not jealous of my boss's decision. can't afford to quit out-right, but have been kicking around the idea of dropping to part-time this fall. probably can't afford that either.

game wise, pretty much nothing going on. fired d3 up for a few minutes for the first time in months when the new season started. thought about doing the weekly challenge, then thought about starting a seasonal character, then exited. have been playing sc2 a fair bit more, as well as some alpha centauri/alien crossfire, of all things. that game may be older than d2.

nice to see updates from people... please keep them coming.
"There is a scene in Star Wars where the heroes are in a trash compactor on the Death Star with the walls closing in. I'm reminded of that this morning, except for perhaps the stuff about the heroes."
Dan Rather 9/14/18

mn4nu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 01:27:50 PM »
Glad to hear your older daughter is doing good syn.  Sounds like she's been through a lot.

Not much new going on with me.  Married for 22 yrs now.  Kids are 17, 14, and 11.  Still working at the US Army Corps of Engineers.  Hoping I can retire in 11-12 years when I reach the age minimum.  As far as gaming goes, I've been playing a lot of D2 lately with the PlugY Mod.  I don't know what it is about that game, but it is still fun for me.  I think it's the item hunt.  I still log into D3 to do the weekly challenge, but that's it.  I've even lost the desire to farm the cosmic wings.  Who knows, maybe I will get the urge for it again, but D3 doesn't have the pull for me that D2 does.  I still need to spend some time wrapping up some unfinished business in Fallout 4 too, but haven't gotten around to doing that yet.