Author Topic: Update Lego Thread  (Read 2023 times)

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Update Lego Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2018, 03:28:26 PM »
Within the last hour I dropped my eldest at school for her first day .. times are a changing

Lego

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2018, 03:36:58 PM »
My last one just graduated High School not long ago. Very big shock when it happens, even tho I knew it was coming.

Godji

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 1
  • Hatter than the Hat Madder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2018, 09:03:03 PM »
Very nice.  I have always wondered about the culture of gaming companies.  They have always seemed all encompassing.

I hope you get to work on some fun stuff.

Well, video game companies have a reputation (which I got to confirm myself through many former colleagues) of being far from stellar work conditions. And after having a few friends and former colleagues saying Ubisoft was actually quite different, I decided to give it a try... and must admit that's where I am pleasantly surprised. They really do take care of employees,which tend to make people quite motivated and happy to be there, first time I see a company where "company culture" doesn't feel false and forced. Of course, I've just been there for a month and a half, so still in the honeymoon phase, but quite impressed so far.
As for inclusiveness more specifically, yes, it certainly is a very cosmopolitan and heterogenous environment. Still a lot of progress to be made (it's still a depressingly low proportion of women for example), but farther on the way than most tech companies I've worked for so far.
As for what I work on, I'm not on a game specifically, I work on low level libraries used for multiplayer : netcode, game logic replication, connectivity, stuff like this :)

Sssith

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2018, 09:14:57 AM »
All the low level stuff.  Nice, always a need for that.  I generally work higher up in the web services area, though certainly not in a gaming company.  I have been tempted to apply a couple of times but the 24-7 nature of the world is not for me.  Glad the new gig treats their people well.  I have heard good things about Montreal.  I was looking into it because my son was/is thinking of apply to a school near there; Bishop University.

TheNix

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2018, 04:24:05 PM »
I put in my resignation from my job the other day; a combination of disagreeing with the direction the school was taking and the continuing deterioration of MrsNix's heath being the main reasons for doing so.  The unfortunate thing about leaving the school is that I have lost the opportunity to do my Masters, and I made it to the short list too!

Sssith

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2018, 08:08:01 PM »
Sorry to hear that.  I hope your Mrs improves with you are around more.