Author Topic: E3 2018  (Read 412 times)

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
E3 2018
« on: June 09, 2018, 07:09:07 PM »
EA conference kicked it off today, and went about like you'd expect (i.e. pretty bland and boring).  Anthem will have no PVP at launch, missions will be balanced for 4-player but everything in town will be in first-person with no other players around, seamless open world, still not super impressive but the gameplay shown did look good.  New Star Wars game called Jedi Fallen Order mentioned but not shown (no trailer).

Microsoft, Bethesda and Devolver Digital are on Sunday.  Square-Enix, Ubisoft and Sony are on Monday, and Nintendo finishes things up on Tuesday.

Sssith

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 14
    • View Profile
Re: E3 2018
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 07:48:38 PM »
So Anthem is a four player co-op game?  Ah well.

Godji

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 1
  • Hatter than the Hat Madder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 05:04:47 PM »
Devil May Cry 5 <3
Anthem is Destiny by Bioware.
Not sure if Sessions can stratch my skate 3 itch.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 06:43:25 PM »
Microsoft definitely had their best conference ever.  50 games shown, 15 world premieres (although many of these are clearly multi-platform).  Very little talking, mostly just trailer to trailer to trailer.  From Software's Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice looks like an even better Nioh.  Cyberpunk 2077 ending the show with a new trailer was nice, although it's probably still far off.  The trailers for their linchpin franchises (Halo Infinity, Gears of War 5, Forza Horizon 4) all looked pretty good.  They clearly wanted to show how much money they were throwing around by announcing the 5 studios they bought, but they kinda need that help to build up their library.  Seeing both Hideaki Itsuno and Chris Avellone on stage certainly helped, I respect both of them quite a bit.  Square-Enix releasing a FREE game in the Life is Strange universe called The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit on June 26th was a nice surprise (no mention of episodes, might be just a 1-2 hour short game about a father/son).

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 06:45:49 PM »

Pixie

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 07:13:20 PM »
When Cyberpunk 2077 thing showed, the entire group I was with pretty much squeeeed in unison. It was glorious.

The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit looks fun. DONTNOD have won my loyalty with 3 great games in a row (Remember Me, Life is Strange, and Vampyr) so at this point anything they do is a day one buy for me. Of course, Captain Spirit is free but the point stands! lol

Really looking forward to Bethesda later. Hoping for good FO76 info and a "soon" release date. Like, July 4th or something. (hey, it could happen!)

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 10:01:19 PM »
Yep. Bethesda's E3 just knocked it out of the park. So much awesome in 90 minutes.

RAGE 2? Yes, please.
DOOM 2? Sure, why not? Demon killing is fun.
Prey stuff? I'm in!
Wolfenstein nazi-killing-ladies? WANT!
Fallout 76? Oh yes, it's all that and more.
TES Blades? Sign me up now.

ELDER SCROLLS 6??!!    Oh be still my heart.

Oh, and of course... Starfield. I just can't hype any harder than I am... I think I need to go lay down...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 10:03:32 PM by Pixie »

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 10:29:38 PM »
Rage 2 definitely looked better than expected.  The thing I look for is "can I immediately tell where the enemies are?" and the graphics were so crisp it was very clear.  Doom: Eternal definitely hit the same notes the original Doom 2 did, Hell on Earth, and a Double-Barreled Shotgun, which is really all we want.  Fallout 76 being a multiplayer Fallout sounds pretty interesting, although to be honest the combat in Fallout games aren't really their strength (compared to the setting and environment), so we'll see if the main story and the "stories you discover" are worth the effort to play alone and deal with getting jumped by gankers.  Overall, the only really unexpected thing was the mobile game, and they asked for applause like 15 times, but they had several great jokes (Skyrim on Etch-a-sketch, Skyrim on Samsung Smart Fridges), so it was pretty good.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 06:08:45 AM »

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 09:59:04 AM »
My favorite part of the presentation

And... it's real: Skyrim on Alexa

:D

OMFG!  People at work are looking at me funnily.  That was hysterical.

<whispering>Eat all the cheese</whispering>

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 10:02:34 AM »
Other things...So is Vampyr good?  I saw that it got released and I am intrigued.  Looking forward to DOTNOD's add on pack.

First I have heard of Cyberpunk...something to look at.

Feeling optimistic about FO: 76.  Still hearing rumors about it being more multiplayer enabled and I am not sure what that means.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 10:14:34 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1kTu2hacaI

Tomb Raider trailer for those of you interested.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 04:46:02 PM »
Other things...So is Vampyr good?  I saw that it got released and I am intrigued.  Looking forward to DOTNOD's add on pack.

First I have heard of Cyberpunk...something to look at.

Feeling optimistic about FO: 76.  Still hearing rumors about it being more multiplayer enabled and I am not sure what that means.

Vampyr is awesome. It has some stiff animations and the combat isn't great to start off (it gets better as you gain more skills/abilities), but the atmosphere, voice acting, story, setting, investigations, etc are all really, really good.

You never heard of Cyberpunk before? :o  Not even Cyberpunk 2020, the RPG from the 1980s? Man, you missed out.

FO76 isn't "multiplayer enabled" - it's 100% online. You can go it solo if you want, but there will always be other players around. Probably trying to kill you. There are no NPCs anywhere (except robots). Every living human you see will be another player.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 04:48:06 PM by Pixie »

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 05:49:41 PM »
PC Gaming show pretty solid so far.  Nice to see Sega bringing a bunch of their games to PC, especially Yakuza 0 which is AMAZING.  Maneater... an open-world action RPG where you are a shark and eat people.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 11:35:54 PM »
Sony's conference started off awkward, but once they finally got everyone settled in their final destination, they showed off a lot of quality.  Sadly, most of that quality is from series I really don't care about (The Last of Us Part 2, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Death Stranding), but everyone seemed excited.  If you like Samurai, then the combination of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (one of the new FromSoftware games), Nioh 2, and Ghost of Tsushima should keep you occupied for quite a while.  Spiderman looks pretty great, and I'm not even that big of a Spiderman fan (looks like an upgraded Infamous). 

I need to go back to watch parts of the PC and Ubisoft conferences as I was running errands.  Day9 and Frankie were very professional in getting through all the PC games in a timely manner.  The best looking one I think was Insomniac's VR game Stormland; it looks like you're playing as Johnny Five from Short Circuit roaming a beautiful countryside fighting or partnering up with other robots, and upgrading yourself with their parts.  Not that I ever plan on buying an Oculus Rift to play it.