Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 57207 times)

Sssith

• THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #900 on: June 12, 2020, 05:49:15 PM »
Stray -- a game about a cat exploring a futuristic city.

WAT?! lol

Watch this be brilliant.  I think it is coming out on PC and PS4 first.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: June 13, 2020, 05:40:04 PM »
Persona 4 is on steam.

Some people are excited.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: June 14, 2020, 02:42:39 AM »
Gta v coming to ps5 as it did for ps4 and ps3. Lol where is 6?

Gta online is like WoW

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: June 14, 2020, 10:57:41 AM »
Persona 4 Golden on Steam is kind of a big deal since it was only on PSVita, with the original Persona 4 only being on PS2.  It's a little outdated now and I don't personally find the combat in Persona games to be very interesting as they're turn-based and extremely simple, but the story and characters are strong, if you don't mind the stress of the "life simulator" half of the game.  I'm playing through Persona 5 Royal right now, and it's legit a 130-hr playthrough AND there's a NG+, although I don't think P4G was quite as long.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #904 on: June 18, 2020, 10:25:24 AM »
I took a brief look at that game and I am not sure it is something I would enjoy.

At this point that doesn't seem to matter.  I am loving playing Divinity.  I am closing in on the end of Act 2.  The game is deep and tough at times.  Inventory and skill management is a bit of a chore, but despite those things this game has rekindled my love of traditional RPGs.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #905 on: June 18, 2020, 07:42:54 PM »
Finished Persona 5 Royal.  Total playtime was around 145 hours on Hard difficulty, platinumed in 1 playthrough, although this platinum is way easier than the original (which required a minimum of 2 full playthroughs).  Still has very strong messages all around, with both personal stories as well as political and social commentary.  It deals with sexual/physical abuse, parental neglect, psychological trauma, abusive working conditions, governmental conspiracies, cults, drug dealers, yakuza, child exploitation, societal apathy, etc., all the while being high-school students who would normally lack the power to tackle all of that.  New content was pretty good overall, expanding a couple characters and adding 3 new ones that had plenty of depth.  The new semester was pretty trippy considering how the original game ended, as the tone shifted from "this is pretty depressing" to "things are suspiciously WAY too good", and the post-post-game was pretty great overall.  Romanced the new girl, felt pretty good about it, though there's no chance I play through the game 9 more times to see all the other romance options.

Bought Greedfall, Judgment, and Valkyria Chronicles 4, paid roughly $60 for all 3 on the PS store's recent sale. Probably going to start Greedfall first.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: June 18, 2020, 08:31:59 PM »
I acquired Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Become Human on Steam today.

Looking forward to all of them. :D

Kasferatu

• Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: June 19, 2020, 03:42:43 AM »
I really enjoyed Heavy Rain at the time. No idea how well it has aged! It's a really unique experience.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: June 19, 2020, 06:01:08 AM »
I really enjoyed Heavy Rain at the time. No idea how well it has aged! It's a really unique experience.

Yeah, I finished Heavy Rain once on the PS3. Didn't really get a great ending, though, so I want to try again.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #909 on: June 19, 2020, 10:54:22 AM »
I absolutely love Heavy Rain.  One of my favorite all time games.  I believe I managed to get the good ending when I played it.  I would have look at my Ps3 trophy log to verify.

I also really enjoyed Detroit.  I found this one very hard.  I got a good enough ending but there is one whole path that I failed.

Beyond: Two Souls I never played.  I heard it had bad reviews.

I had no clue these were on Steam.

Liquid Evil

• THAC0: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: June 21, 2020, 09:47:23 PM »
Aha! Heavy Rain has come back around. Sssith was extolling this game all the back in forever ago. He's not going to want to hear this, but I still have yet to play it. The dude I was playing Detroit: Become Human with hasn't been over since the pandemic started, so I'm still waiting on that. I think we have maybe half an hour left too. :/ Only hope I can remember everything by the time we get back together to knock this out. Anyway, my kid and I have been messing around with Kirby's Adventure on NES (Classic) and some Caveman Warriors on PS4. Looks like a real nod to Joe and Mac style games. We got through the first boss, but the platforming has been fairly rough on him so far so we'll see if he wants to continue much further. Really looks like another one that would probably be more fun with more people, so might have to wait until the other kid gets old enough to play or enlist some friends to help us along.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: June 22, 2020, 07:12:22 AM »
Speaking of playing with your kids. Iíve been doing a little portal 2 coop with my eldest and she loves it so far

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #912 on: June 29, 2020, 11:18:18 PM »
Put about 15 hours into Greedfall.  Interesting setting, colonial era decor, with everyone wearing tricorn hats and pantaloons, with rapiers and pistols, except you're fighting monsters, dealing with natives, political groups, and there's magic.  It's hard to say what the closest comparison is, but I would say probably a AA unpolished Witcher 3 (Witcher 2-ish?).  There is a lot of dialogue, and the quests have the kind of pivots and tricks that a lot of people like about TW3, with multiple solutions.  If you need to rescue someone from some thugs, you can lockpick the backdoor to sneak in, use Science to blow a small hole in the wall, talk them down, or just fight them.  The combat is... janky, and slow, and the animations are kinda garbage, but the progression systems seem interesting, forcing you to choose certain paths and seeing uses for what you don't have everywhere.  Every piece of dialogue is voiced, although most of it by the same people over and over.  The world has many discrete-but-large areas, and to avoid the large loading times whenever you travel between them you first load into this mini-camp area where you can talk to your companions and have a merchant to buy/sell items, which is pretty nice.  Seems like it'll take like 100 hours to do everything, though maybe it'll snowball after I get better gear and abilities.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #913 on: June 30, 2020, 09:57:36 AM »
I was very interested in Greedfall.  When you are done let me know if you think it is worth the time.  Seems like it will be based on what you said.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: June 30, 2020, 02:56:43 PM »
I have... 63 hours in Greedfall, which is spread between two playthroughs. Neither is finished. The game is really good... until it's not. Eventually it just stops being interesting, and both playthroughs got sidetracked around the same point. It wasn't that it was ever bad or anything. I just completely lost any drive to continue.

So yeah. It's fun for a while. I don't actually know anyone who has gotten all the way through it, though. And I have a lot of Steam friends...