Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 59727 times)

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #720 on: January 21, 2020, 11:11:16 PM »
But is there any more content for Black Cat after the first DLC?  That storyline kept me engaged for DLC 1.  Halfway through DLC 2 I had enough of fighting mercenary thugs commanded by that woman.  It just became tedious.  Am I missing anything interesting?

They wrap her story up very quickly in DLC3 at a surprising time but in an unsurprising way.  Not much is resolved that is satisfying overall, pretty much just setting up stuff for an assumed sequel.  The guy asking to be trained is being trained, the reporter is traveling to where the twin-gunner is from to cover a war, and a friend in the force goes rogue.  This is a well-known gripe about him (and Batman), but they were many points where it was painfully obvious that Spiderman is willfully ignorant of the faults of the criminal justice system in his universe.  He is very much "lawful stupid", and not in a "he'll learn eventually" kind of way.  By the 2000th or 3000th enemy I KOed, it became clear that being a criminal in his world is the best job, because you get the best super-advanced tech since your boss always has infinite money (they all do), and you never get punished by anyone ever except getting beat up by Spiderman if you make yourself an easy target (but then you immediately escape from the cops and/or jail).  Seems all upside, no risk, and masochistically Spiderman seems to like it that way.

Sssith

• THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 22, 2020, 09:44:03 AM »
They gave away AC Unity when Notre Dame burned.

Damn...I forgot.  I only got half way through the first Assassin's Creed.  Hopefully this one is better.

Kasferatu

• Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 22, 2020, 03:42:54 PM »
They gave away AC Unity when Notre Dame burned.

Damn...I forgot.  I only got half way through the first Assassin's Creed.  Hopefully this one is better.

Unfortunately Unity is one of the worst Assassin's Creed games :(

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 26, 2020, 03:23:12 PM »
Well I have started playing Division 2, mainly when I can't have access to the PS4 and BL3.  So far I would say disappointing.

Horrible character customization.  Poor means of introducing you to the game and controls.  Horrible menus.  City layout and graphics is really good.  But unless the game gets better I don't think I will finish it.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: January 26, 2020, 10:22:15 PM »
Currently playing through Torment: Tides of Numenara.  Pretty trippy game, with like 90% of my 7 hours or so being dialogue trees about psychics, soul replacement, cannibalism, robot children, and civilization-destroying words.  It certainly follows a lot of the themes from Planescape: Torment, though the technical hiccups are immense and distracting.  Every zone takes 40-50 seconds to load, movement is slow, and every conversation or interaction with an object stutters while it's loading the text (this is on PS4).  Thankfully the game is a slow burn with all the text anyway, and the combat is turn-based, so it hasn't been a deal-breaker yet (although the trophy percentages tell me that the vast majority of people gave up on the game in the first 30 minutes).

dave in the basement

• View Profile
« Reply #725 on: January 29, 2020, 09:58:01 AM »
Anyone check out Warcraft 3 yet? I didn't know it was even coming out, but it appeared in the Battlenet launcher (or whatever they now call it) last night. I was definitely intrigued, but in looking at some of the early reviews, it is getting pounded pretty hard. I'll keep my eyes on it, though.

Any of you fine people give it a shot?

Melchior

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 29, 2020, 06:14:30 PM »
Well I wanted to try Skyrim out with new textures, weathers, ENB, all that good stuff to test out my new GFX card and I got sucked back into Skyrim big time  ;D 

syn

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 11
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: January 29, 2020, 07:58:16 PM »
Didn’t wc3 come out like ten (18, actually. time flies) years ago?

edit: nm; a remaster (yawn). sounds like blizzard stepped in it again, too.

edit2: and regarding giving this game a shot, no. i'm unlikely to play this. if i felt the urge to play a game like this, i'd just play sc2.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: January 29, 2020, 10:04:32 PM »
warcraft 2 was the best warcraft RTS, i struggled to get into 3 when it came out, i was playing other games .. it just never grew on me

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: January 30, 2020, 09:51:34 AM »
I don't like the micro-managing generally associated with RTS so I never played Warcraft or Starcraft.  So far the only game of interest with Blizzard is Diablo. 

With D4 they seem to be heading in the right direction but obviously Blizzard as a whole has major issues and it would be surprising if they don't spill over into D4.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 07, 2020, 09:30:42 PM »
Finished Torment: Tides of Numenera.  Other than a few big quest hiccups, where the "current objective" was either bugged or intentionally lied where if you performed that act it failed the quest, the last half of the game was relatively straight forward in execution but complex in narrative.  The little girl Rhin has a standout storyline, which I won't completely spoil but it's very much like FF4 Rydia/Witcher 3 Ciri in the best ways.  Most fights can be avoided completely throughout the game, including the final boss, who is surprisingly clear about which of the like 7-8 final options it will accept without a fight, so the conversation focus is consistent.  It doesn't have the strong philosophical overarching themes present in Planescape: Torment, but a lot of the smaller quests were pretty solid.  Not sure I want to play through it again right now, but there were 3-4 companions I didn't bring along, and there are enough weird choices around that I'm interested to see what changes.

Since it's the Appreciation Festival in Monster Hunter World, I've been logging into that to do some quick dailies to catch up on event stuff I'd missed in the last 4+ months.  I haven't yet tried the new Safi'jiiva siege quest (a very aggressive red dragon that absorbs power from the earth), but it looks straightforward and fun, albeit lengthy.

Liquid Evil

• THAC0: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 14, 2020, 12:27:41 AM »
Working on The Swapper which is a puzzle platformer with a space isolation angle. You have the ability to clone yourself (and swap your consciousness into any of the clones in line-of-sight) to get through different areas. It's going along pretty quickly, but I'm enjoying the play as well as the story pieces you're constantly drip-fed when you come across little monitors on your quest. A friend and I are still playing through Detroit Become Human (we usually just have a single session a month, but I'd say we're probably halfway done). It's also been a good time. In regard to my main squeeze, SFV, well it's just released a recent championship update and two former boss characters were included. One of the bosses, Seth, actually just dropped in a patch today with a total character redesign. I haven't had a chance to boot up the game and play just yet, but I'm looking forward to trying Seth out. Maybe I'll actually commit to a secondary character to help me round out some bad matchups for my main. IDK, we'll see.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 14, 2020, 06:10:04 AM »
Guys.

If you like ARPGs/Diablo-likes.... Wolcen is pretty amazing. Check it out.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 14, 2020, 09:58:39 AM »
Working on The Swapper which is a puzzle platformer with a space isolation angle. You have the ability to clone yourself (and swap your consciousness into any of the clones in line-of-sight) to get through different areas. It's going along pretty quickly, but I'm enjoying the play as well as the story pieces you're constantly drip-fed when you come across little monitors on your quest.

I played half of Swapper.  I used to do it on my work laptop when in a hotel.  I switched jobs and never went back to it.  I remember an interesting game but very slow moving and it was starting to get tricky to figure out the puzzles.  I should go back to it.

A friend and I are still playing through Detroit Become Human (we usually just have a single session a month, but I'd say we're probably halfway done). It's also been a good time.

I really enjoyed Becoming Human.  I did two play throughs.  One of the paths I kept screwing up on and never saw the proper end to.  The QTE were pretty unforgiving.

If you like ARPGs/Diablo-likes.... Wolcen is pretty amazing. Check it out.

Know your audience brah.  No on here like's Diabloesque games.

I am curious if it is more like Diablo or Grim Dawn.  I wanted to like Grim Dawn.  I still have it installed. But it is so slow, that I got tired of it after a while.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 14, 2020, 04:42:21 PM »
It's more Diablo than Grim Dawn. But with a Path of Exile-ish skill tree (but better, with a neat system of 3 wheels that you can turn independently to make a bazillion different kinds of builds).

Cutscenes, cinematics, voice acting, all stellar. And Diablo-ish in feel/epicness.

Combat is meaty and fun.