Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 59502 times)

Grogs

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #690 on: December 12, 2019, 02:14:51 AM »
I haven't played the boderland series at all.  I will have a look though!

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: December 12, 2019, 09:24:53 PM »
HELLBLADE 2 OMG! SQUEEEEEEE!

WITH HEILUNG!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Kasferatu

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: December 13, 2019, 06:41:38 AM »
Finished Outer Worlds and ended up really enjoying it.  It's always nice to see the impact the decisions you've made has on the world at the end of the game.

maxbeedo

• Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: December 19, 2019, 04:40:25 PM »
Finished Nioh.  Pretty good overall, although not without its flaws.  I did the entire game solo, with 25 deaths, with almost zero uses of the apparently broken Living Weapon mechanic (based on online videos).  Story ended up being far more light than I expected given the early cutscenes, but it does do its best to highlight a few dozen actual historical figures from England and Japan from the Sengoku period.  It takes some liberties, especially with the mystical/demonic side of the game, but a lot of events play out or are referenced exactly as they actually happened.  So it's a Souls-like hardcore action RPG where you might learn something while dying a lot.  The loot system is pretty good overall, although tedious to deal with given the item limit.  Even with 500 slots, I found myself having to sell/disassemble/donate items quite frequently, since I found 50-100 of them every mission, but every item having a rarity, level, and mostly random abilities did provide some flavor.  Other than maybe the last 2, which were more siege-like against way-bigger-than-the-screen bosses, the Yokai bosses were not that enjoyable to me, with their ridiculously huge hitboxes on attacks and infinite hyperarmor.  The human bosses, however, were great fun, since they more closely followed the same combat rules as you (and actually react to being hit), with the same stamina system where you can wear them out to get a critical.  I've done 6-7 of the post-game missions, and tried 3-4 others where I'm basically like "Nope", because they're pretty much just challenges where you face multiple bosses simultaneously.  An entire rarity of loot exists only in postgame, and I believe one higher than that in late NG+ (or maybe just in the DLCs, which weren't included in the free PS+ version), but there are multiple NG+s worth of difficulty to grind for loot and levels even harder, if that's your thing.  It is tempting to keep playing for a while, though I do have other games waiting.

Sssith

• THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: December 19, 2019, 07:24:48 PM »
HELLBLADE 2 OMG! SQUEEEEEEE!

WITH HEILUNG!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I finally got around to buying the first one.  Now I need to find the time to play it.

mn4nu

• Cookies: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: December 28, 2019, 09:33:15 AM »
I bought Stardew Valley the other day and have been playing it a little bit.  It reminds me of playing a old Zelda game without the puzzles and combat.  It is pretty low stress, there isn't a quest line or anything, so you kind of just do whatever you want...raise crops, animals, explore the mine, interact with townsfolk, etc.  I think it is a nice change of pace game.

Melchior

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: December 29, 2019, 12:55:09 AM »
I bought Stardew Valley the other day and have been playing it a little bit.  It reminds me of playing a old Zelda game without the puzzles and combat.  It is pretty low stress, there isn't a quest line or anything, so you kind of just do whatever you want...raise crops, animals, explore the mine, interact with townsfolk, etc.  I think it is a nice change of pace game.

I bought it on sale too! Trying to recapture the magic of Harvest Moon on Super Nintendo, which it does quite well!

mn4nu

• Cookies: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: December 29, 2019, 11:16:30 AM »
Cool Melchior, have fun!

Pixie

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 01, 2020, 07:10:22 PM »
Been playing Code Vein.

I hate anime.

I hate Dark Souls.

By all rights, I should *despise* Code Vein.

But ... I kind of love it?

dave in the basement

• View Profile
« Reply #699 on: January 02, 2020, 09:25:52 AM »
They recently released the 1.4 update for Stardew Valley on the ol' Switch, so I fired that up over Christmas break. This time around I went with a Grinch theme, and Whoville Acres is running fairly smoothly a couple days into Summer, Year 2.

A lot of fun and QOL went into 1.4, and I'm having a blast as usual. Hit me up if you fine folks have any questions!

syn

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 11
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: January 05, 2020, 12:15:35 PM »
there's a solar system in Stellaris named Covfefe. made me lol...

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #701 on: January 05, 2020, 10:00:21 PM »
Did end up platinuming Nioh.  The late-game loot grind is actually fairly well done, even without the DLCs.  Weapons and amor can be upgraded further and further by finding multiple items at a certain bonus past the level cap (so if you find two "+1" weapons you can merge them into a +2, raising all base stats).  XP and gold also tend to rise at a comparable level in NG+ to your costs, and apparently the DLCs add 2 additional difficulties that go nuts with it.

Bunch of games on sale on PSN lately, so I purchased DMC5, Spiderman, Persona 5 Dancing All Night, and Torment: Tides of Numenera.  DMC5 was pretty disappointing, where the move speed and combat options paled in comparison to Nioh that I had just played, and it was extremely short, although the cutscenes were well done.  Starting P5:DAN and it's pretty fun so far, as far as rhythm games go.  It's really just an excuse to listen to the same voice actors/characters again, even more so than the pretty great music.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: January 13, 2020, 06:15:44 PM »
An old friend friend gifted me the newest Tomb Raider.  It was funny I'd downloaded the demo, and it refused to run even with settings at the lowest, but the full game got to the menu screen.  I've go the trading cards secured now, was too busy to try to play it in slideshow mode last night

Melchior

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: January 14, 2020, 02:20:55 AM »
My GFX card died so I got stuck playing low res games for a couple weeks.

New AMD RX5700 just arrived though, time to make it hurt. Haven't had a new card in years!

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: January 15, 2020, 08:52:41 PM »
GTA IV isn't available for sale anymore as it was built with Games for Windows live, that cancer of a service that was back in Microsofts shitty days.  Many devs have patched their games but not Rockstar.  Hopefully now they aren't getting revenue for an old (but still great game) they will spend some resource to fix this. 

Hopefully we get full Steamworks and Steam achievements.  When it first came out, we needed as well as GFWL the Rockstar Social club.

Not sure how many of you played GTA IV, and the DLC packs The Lost and the Damned. Also The Ballad of Gay Tony.    Many excellent hours of content, I'd only played through it to 100% once, so this could be a great excuse to relive it.  There is only one achievement that was .. shitty, a grind to a max level which we worked out might be a 50 hour grind.  I remember some hacked player joined a game and it gave more reward than it should fixing the problem, a happy accident for us.

The game and the packs were great (from memory) especially a certain heist job which you saw from 3 different angles.  That was a cool touch.  There was a MP achievement to win a race of all types.  It was basically 100 different vehicles, but with a partner taking turns was more relaxing than grindy.    Hell even shooting 200 pigeons is something I'd do again.  Yep even all the "cousin lets go bowling" and you have the option in the story later to have him killed. 

I hope it comes and soon!