Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 47362 times)

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 17
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #630 on: September 18, 2019, 04:23:48 PM »
What we need is one launcher to combine all the launchers...

>.>

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: September 18, 2019, 05:22:25 PM »
What we need is one launcher to combine all the launchers...

>.>

Dear god no, i'd rather have 100 launchers than that ..

Kasferatu

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 19, 2019, 03:46:19 PM »
Finished Rise of the Tomb Raider.  Enjoyed it a lot as I expected to, but I'm a bit Tomb Raider'd out now so will probably wait some time before I play the final one in the trilogy.  It's not like I don't have a huge backlog of other things to play :)

Sssith

• THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: September 23, 2019, 09:54:57 AM »
I played the crap out of that game.  The third is good but 1 >>>>> 2 >>> 3.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 23, 2019, 09:56:55 AM »
I played the crap out of that game.  The third is good but 1 >>>>> 2 >>> 3.

This. I've beat the first one 2 or 3 times, the 2nd one once, and I still haven't gotten all the way through 3. I keep getting bored.

Kasferatu

• Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 23, 2019, 01:26:38 PM »
Good to know. I won't rush to playing 3 then.

maxbeedo

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 23, 2019, 10:22:36 PM »
Been slowing going through the endgame of Monster Hunter World: Iceborne.  The final main boss of the expansion was pretty awesome, and a whole new area opens up with several new monsters, though it requires a ton of grinding to get them to appear.  All of the monsters have a ton more health, and like 50 hours in I still haven't found any weapon I like more than my Taroth Assault Glutton heavy bowgun from the base game, despite it being far outclassed in "base damage" rating.  Armor options have been really good aesthetically but subpar with skills until late game.  The expansion kinda has that D2 NM->Hell feeling where the base stats of your weapons and armor are designed to just not cut it in the higher difficulty (even the worst expansion armor has 25% more defense than the absolute best main game armor), but as you know from D2, it's not just the base defense or base attack that makes gear worth using, and everything else about the weapons and armor were garbage until very very late, so I'm still looking for what I want to use longterm.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: September 30, 2019, 08:49:55 PM »
Finished Duke 3d Episode 3, had some rough levels in there! Onto the 4th episode now, currently playing the first level which was built by a Randall Pitchford II

dave in the basement

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 03, 2019, 08:52:29 AM »
I just got the new Dragon Quest XI super edition on the Switch and I'm having a blast.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 06, 2019, 06:24:02 PM »
I think I"ll buy my first ever Humble Monthly, mainly just for Cod WW2, one of the last 2 steam releases that hadn't been cheap enough yet.  It also comes with trilogies of Spyro and Crash which is just gravy on the side and I might check them out. 

I think I'll pick up another bundle with Bridge Constructor portal

dave in the basement

• View Profile
« Reply #640 on: October 11, 2019, 11:38:46 AM »
I've also just fired up Pillars of Eternity 2 on the ol' PC and I'm having fun with that. I went in blind to character creation, so we'll see if that hurts me down the road or not. I can't wait to get my pirate ship and hit the seas in search of glorious booty! :D

Sssith

• THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 11, 2019, 01:31:11 PM »

Liquid Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #642 on: October 11, 2019, 07:10:47 PM »
Playing some couch co-op with a buddy to beat Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. It started strong, but a lot of the enemy types got a bit repetitive by the end. Similarly, the run/glyph puzzles also started to feel lackluster. The plot seemed kind of neat with a mental illness angle, but some of the voices (the angry, super deep voice in her head, in particular) were hard to understand so I felt lost in some places. Anyway, it was a quick playthrough and ranked as a middling level of fun to me. Also playing some couch co-op of Bloodstained with another friend who's a big Castlevania fan. We're probably halfway through I'd guess. *Neither of those games is true co-op, so we just pass the controller. To remedy this and assemble all friends, I picked up Dragon's Crown Pro and pre-ordered Trine 4 so we can all play in the same room on the same screen at the same time. I'm looking forward to that. In other news, it looks like a fighting game scene is starting to take root not too far away, so hopefully it is capable of sustaining itself and the monthlies they are planning work out well with lots of attendance. The location seems pretty solid (like a pinball barcade place), so I'm cautiously optimistic. Will bring a fight stick for their first meetup and hopefully knock gloves with some fellow FGC enthusiasts.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 11, 2019, 08:23:40 PM »
Hellblade needs to be played with good headphones or good surround sound. I assume the sound system was lacking if the voices were hard to understand.

Easily one of the best games I've ever played. Pure artistry brilliantly researched and executed.

Liquid Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 11, 2019, 08:49:33 PM »
Oh yeah, it definitely wasn't a bad game by any stretch. It had a great tone and told a different story than most games of this type, so I really dug the aesthetic. A handful of the puzzles were really innovative so it also gets positive marks for that. I even had a character named Valravn back in Torchlight, so some of the bosses and environments were right up my alley. It was just some of the gameplay that made it seem like it quite couldn't live up to what it wanted to be. The enemy types were too few and far between, so it felt like once you'd mastered that parry and appropriate combo, they were no longer a threat. But they were there at every step along the way. Too much of the same plus a mini boss rush thing nearing the end pushed it toward stale. And in a game with so few enemy types, some truly different color palettes would have gone a long way in keeping down the repetition (Remember that shield guy? Did every single shield guy need a red and black shield? I get that modeling a brand new shield with spikes instead of antlers or in a different shape would cost more time/money, but surely a new coat of paint or three on some of the enemies could have been justified). I like the idea of Senua better than the game itself, but it was definitely not a bad game. If I ever do pick it back up for a future replay, I'll try the headphones route since I'm sure that does indeed kick the immersion up several notches with all the voice whisperings and such.