Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 46818 times)

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #600 on: August 06, 2019, 04:33:23 PM »
Always wanted to go to EVO, although I'm not sure I'd be confident enough to play any of the current games (maybe SFV, but I'd be lucky to win 1 game), so I'd probably just enter a few of the side tournaments like for CVS2.  Thankfully EVO is pretty good about giving space to a bunch of older games, and most of them end up with at least 50-100 competitors each, even really obscure ones.

Kinda sad about Honda/Poison/Lucia being leaked right before EVO, leading Capcom to have basically nothing to announce there, other than "more will be coming in December" around Capcom Cup.  They needed something huge to get back a lot of the audience they've lost, and 3 characters isn't going to cut it after 8 months of nothing.  Capcom has been doing almost everything right the past 2 years or so EXCEPT with fighting games.

dave in the basement

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 07, 2019, 02:21:33 PM »
Anyone check out Age of Wonders: Planetfall yet? Looks like it would scratch my itch, probably once the price comes down.

mn4nu

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 07, 2019, 06:18:13 PM »
I accidentally ended up in Vegas during the Adult Entertainment Conference (a couple of years ago).
Accidentally.  OK.  :P

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 07, 2019, 06:48:51 PM »
I accidentally ended up in Vegas during the Adult Entertainment Conference (a couple of years ago).

what/who else did he accidentally end up in? ;)

Melchior

• Cookies: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 07, 2019, 08:17:09 PM »
Anyone check out Age of Wonders: Planetfall yet? Looks like it would scratch my itch, probably once the price comes down.

I haven't played it, but I too am waiting for it to drop in price  8)

Sssith

• THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 08, 2019, 10:49:31 AM »

what/who else did he accidentally end up in? ;)

Easy there!  lol

In my defense one of my college buddies set up the schedule.  STOYA!  :-P

Liquid Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 08, 2019, 11:45:34 AM »
Always wanted to go to EVO, although I'm not sure I'd be confident enough to play any of the current games (maybe SFV, but I'd be lucky to win 1 game), so I'd probably just enter a few of the side tournaments like for CVS2.  Thankfully EVO is pretty good about giving space to a bunch of older games, and most of them end up with at least 50-100 competitors each, even really obscure ones.

Kinda sad about Honda/Poison/Lucia being leaked right before EVO, leading Capcom to have basically nothing to announce there, other than "more will be coming in December" around Capcom Cup.  They needed something huge to get back a lot of the audience they've lost, and 3 characters isn't going to cut it after 8 months of nothing.  Capcom has been doing almost everything right the past 2 years or so EXCEPT with fighting games.
You look pretty up on the FGC news! Yeah, it was a bummer for Capcom about the leak. Ono clearly took it very hard. I challenged some friends to some Week 1 characters. I'm repping Poison to see if I can shut down their Honda and Lucia respectively. I'm a Vega main and there are some definite similarities to Poison, but SFV is a pretty aggressive game, so mid-long range whip slashes that don't knock opponents down may make for a rough time (and she's pretty different from SF4 where she was basically a shoto). Anyway, we'll see if I can make her work, but definitely not interested in replacing my main. As far as the state of SFV, more characters isn't *really* what's needed imo. I was hoping for new V-skills over new characters, but that's probably just my own wishful thinking.

Quote from: Sith
I also finished Detroit Becoming Human.
Yeah, I picked that one up too (before it was free on PSN  :-\) and it looks like a fun playthrough and cool concept. Will have to make some time.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 08, 2019, 11:48:08 AM »
I liked Heavy Rain better which hopefully you got along with Becoming Human.  Not sure how well Heavy Rain aged but it was one of my favorite PS3 games.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 08, 2019, 12:21:06 PM »
You look pretty up on the FGC news! Yeah, it was a bummer for Capcom about the leak. Ono clearly took it very hard. I challenged some friends to some Week 1 characters. I'm repping Poison to see if I can shut down their Honda and Lucia respectively. I'm a Vega main and there are some definite similarities to Poison, but SFV is a pretty aggressive game, so mid-long range whip slashes that don't knock opponents down may make for a rough time (and she's pretty different from SF4 where she was basically a shoto). Anyway, we'll see if I can make her work, but definitely not interested in replacing my main. As far as the state of SFV, more characters isn't *really* what's needed imo. I was hoping for new V-skills over new characters, but that's probably just my own wishful thinking.

Yeah, I've been watching streams getting a feel for the new characters.  Lucia looks to be the best (and has the best accent ;)), as her fireball is can be tricky to work around and she has several extended combos, although a lot of her pressure will probably get stopped by matchup knowledge as it's not all safe.  Honda is the defensive wall he always has been, which works well in some matchups and not others.  Poison may take some time to perfect, and I'm not sure she has all the tools she needs, but her neutral seems decent (standing MK being cancelable is really nice).  As far as changes, I was hoping for some type of extended story mode that would link SF4->SF5->SF3 together properly, as SF5 is basically a big meaningless gap in the story where nothing happens and no one has changed.  The season 3 and 4 characters have hinted at that change (Cody becoming Mayor, Sakura graduating and getting a job, G eventually becoming Q), but we've yet to see it come together.  It would be nice to have a good story for once, but then they'd probably try to force every character in there in awkward ways and bumble it.

Liquid Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 09, 2019, 11:34:42 AM »
I liked Heavy Rain better which hopefully you got along with Becoming Human.  Not sure how well Heavy Rain aged but it was one of my favorite PS3 games.
Ha! Actually it did come with it! I sort of wrote it off as an unnecessary add-on (and I think someone told me it had gratuitous torture scenes or something?), so never had any intention of playing. Maybe I'll have to add it to the backlog list since it has such high Sssith praise though.

Quote from: maxbeedo
Lucia looks to be the best (and has the best accent ;))
I haven't messed with her at all yet, but the two guys I'm throwing down with on Saturday to put our W1 skills to the test, have both voiced complaints on her voice and changed her to the Japanese voice actor. Different strokes I guess, but I have no opinion. Something I'm not digging at the moment is Poison's st.HP x QCB LP~LK stance cancel nonsense. I'm sure I'll get it consistently if I continue to play her, but forced stance cancels add an unnecessary execution barrier to truly play her to the fullest. Maybe it will be second nature soon, but right now it feels very unintuitive.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 09, 2019, 11:52:14 AM »
I think one thing that can show how good a game Heavy Rain is the completion rate.  According to an article I read the completion rate of a game is generally around 25%.  At one point Heavy Rain had a completion rate of 72%.  What I remember from the game is story that really hooked me.  The subject matter is dark, but I don't remember a torture scene.  Of course it has been a really long time since I first played that game.

Liquid Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 09, 2019, 12:12:16 PM »
I think one thing that can show how good a game Heavy Rain is the completion rate.  According to an article I read the completion rate of a game is generally around 25%.  At one point Heavy Rain had a completion rate of 72%. 
That's super interesting. This piqued my curiosity, so I googled some more just to check out some other examples. Didn't turn up much in the way of recent posts, but 72% does seem crazy high. I imagine game completion rates will get lower and lower too as time goes on. I don't use steam so probably not as easy to track my own playthroughs, but I imagine my own completion rate for owned games is fairly low as well. Immersive, single-player, story-driven games are probably the best in terms of completion rates, but I wonder what genre of games are the worst in this area.

"9 out of 10 will not finish the game they are playing" - Kotaku article
"Statistically, most players don’t finish games. We’ve all seen numbers that say something like a third [do finish games], on average" - IGN article

Quote from: old post from like 8 years ago
Call of Duty 4 - 58.20 %
Hannah Montana - 58.33% 
Mass Effect 1 - 58.73%
Call of duty 6 (MW2) - 59.14 %
Assassin's Creed II - 59.45 %
Call of duty 7 (BO) - 63.86% 
Dead Space 2 - 65.76%
Portal -  65.82 %
Mass Effect 2 - 66.45%

Quote from: IGN list
The Walking Dead: Season 1, Episode 1 - 66%
 Mass Effect 2 - 56%
 BioShock Infinite - 53%
 Batman: Arkham City - 47%
 Portal - 47%
 Mass Effect 3- 42%
 The Walking Dead: Season 1, Episode 5 - 39%
 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 32%
 Borderlands 2 - 30%

I haven't played any of the games on either list I don't think.

Ray Patean

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 09, 2019, 12:17:08 PM »
Don't lie to us. We all know you've played the shit out of the Hannah Montana game!

Liquid Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 09, 2019, 12:26:44 PM »
BUSTED!

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 09, 2019, 12:38:06 PM »
It is also difficult because what constitutes finishing a game.  In Borderlands does doing one play-through with one character meet that mark?  I think a game like Heavy Rain it is probably easier to define.

I generally finish a game that I start.

Quote from: old post from like 8 years ago
Call of Duty 4 - 58.20 % <--I played one CoD game not sure if this one but whichever one it was I completed the SP side of the game.
Hannah Montana - 58.33%  <-- Never played it.  I swear
Mass Effect 1 - 58.73% <--completed multiple times
Call of duty 6 (MW2) - 59.14 %  <-see above
Assassin's Creed II - 59.45 % <-- never played it
Call of duty 7 (BO) - 63.86%  <-- see above
Dead Space 2 - 65.76% <-- completed 1,2,3
Portal -  65.82 % <- completed
Mass Effect 2 - 66.45% <-completed multiple times

Quote from: IGN list
The Walking Dead: Season 1, Episode 1 - 66% <- completed
 Mass Effect 2 - 56% <-see above
 BioShock Infinite - 53% <-- completed 1, 2, 3
 Batman: Arkham City - 47% <- completed
 Portal - 47% <- see above
 Mass Effect 3- 42% <-completed multiple times
 The Walking Dead: Season 1, Episode 5 - 39%
 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 32% <- completed main game -- never finished the DLC
 Borderlands 2 - 30% <-completed the shit out of this