Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 46817 times)

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #585 on: July 21, 2019, 07:12:00 PM »
One of my favourite ever platformers has come to steam! https://store.steampowered.com/app/628720/GODS_Remastered/

They want $20 which sorta sucks, but the nostalgia might make me get it anyway.    I played this pre internet, it had no game saving, so you pushed on, and if you failed you had to start over, but by that time you'd been on the computer too long and had to come back another day.  It took quite some time to beat the game as there was a lot of trial and error. 

Its not the best platformer I've ever played but every now and then I've looked for this game on steam, so amped to see it finally turn up!
Its 30 years old now and looks it.  Sounds like a few new features, screw the new graphics.  The music from the intro is gone which is a massive shame.

Just a matter of time til I get this!  oh and it has achievements! I haven't actually got any new steam achievements in almost 6 months but this has me excited.

Apparently it has leaderboards and a speedrun mode too!

Well there was  sale, I had time so I bought it, played it, and did ALL the things I did in the past and didn't know how to do before.  It was WONDERFUL!  Ended up with 100% achievements after 15 hours.  The first hour was pretty awful as they change the controls.  Previously you had the arrow keys and one button to do everything else (shoot, jump, levers).  Having different buttons meant in my head I knew what I wanted to do .. but then found myself jumping into monsters.  The second hour took a it of time where I would basically try to say out loud "ok I want to shoot, so I need to press CTRL" then did it and then got into the groove and never looked back.

So frustrating .. but very much worth it.

The speedrun thing I did last, it was fun and not frustrating to see if I could get through the 12 levels in less than 60 minutes.  In the end I was 51 and a bit minutes so had some time to spare.  I ended up 4th on the speedrun ladder so far.

@Darkness: if you find yourself with a few pounds that need to be spent, I'd suggest you try it at the next sale :)

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 23, 2019, 07:33:15 PM »

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 23, 2019, 07:48:59 PM »
Its almost as if all the money is in Sales/Marketing types who pay publishers without any actual tech people having any say or control in anything.  Best to avoid that Dogturd_in_a_bag_on_fire

Sssith

• THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 24, 2019, 09:56:49 AM »
Well the developers are more at fault here IMO.  They made the game with Steam VR what did they expect?  Of course Epic does deserve some blame as they should have guidelines for what works or doesn't work on their platform.

Replayed Batman Arkham Asylum.  Over all it has aged pretty well. 

I am going to try my hand at Wolfenstein: New Order.  No clue where this game sits in the Wolfenstein universe.  Can't imagine that the story is that important.  One of the very first games I ever loved was Castle Wolfenstein so I am hoping I will enjoy it. 

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 25, 2019, 10:11:55 AM »
Started Wolfenstein.  So far so good.  Not the twitch fest that was the latest Doom game.  Of course it is early but enjoying it so far.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 25, 2019, 04:32:19 PM »
Ah yes, that came out today didn't it? I may install it this weekend and give it a quick whirl.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 25, 2019, 04:35:45 PM »
He is playing “the new order” from 2014 not the 2019 games.

Assist that’s one I’ve been meaning to go back to.  I started it. Enjoyed others from the series

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 25, 2019, 05:31:26 PM »
Yeah...I am playing the older one.  Need to get some Nazis.

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 26, 2019, 07:01:08 PM »
Starting last night, Monster Hunter World has all of their previous events going over the next 5 weeks up to the Iceborne launch, so anyone that has the game that missed the weekly events can go back and get all the unique armor and weapons, plus there's a free (super rare) Attack decoration for logging in at least once.  Fun to see everything I missed, and to get the perspective of how many crossovers they've had.  Assassin's Creed, Horizon Zero Dawn, Mega Man, Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy XIV, The Witcher 3, quite the assortment.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 29, 2019, 10:25:51 AM »
I have made it to the Moon base in W:NO.  Overall I am enjoying the game.  I am playing it on an easier setting which I think is making the game more enjoyable.  There is a surprising amount of stealth to the game.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 29, 2019, 04:24:11 PM »
New Wolfenstein with the twin redneck girls is a lot of fun. I'm awful at it, like I am with any shooter, but the sisters are entertaining enough to keep me at it. I'm only playing solo because I'm allergic to co-op, and I don't have any issues with the AI sister or anything, so that's a plus.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 30, 2019, 10:19:25 AM »
Well keep me up to date with how playing that game is solo.  I have enjoyed W:NO.  Grant you I am playing on an easier setting than I normally do but still pretty fun.  I will probably make my way up the chain of Wolfenstein games.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 30, 2019, 09:59:33 PM »
Well keep me up to date . . .

I would but... well, I just got sucked into Outward, and Outward might just be the RPG I've been pining for...

Liquid Evil

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 06, 2019, 01:10:28 PM »
Went to EVO just recently (biggest fighting game tournament in the world, held in Las Vegas) and it was a good time. I got out of the day 1 pools in Street Fighter V and did okayish (2-2) in Samurai Shodown which is a game I have very little time playing. Really cool experience and it's neat how accessible all of the pro players are. You could go up and say hi in between sets or grab a picture with them or whatever. All in all, a worthwhile experience!

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 06, 2019, 03:29:51 PM »
I accidentally ended up in Vegas during the Adult Entertainment Conference (a couple of years ago).  Unsurprisingly the participants were not as accessible as that.

Finished Wolfenstein, which I enjoyed as a whole.  Nothing earth shattering but it was a good time.

I also finished Detroit Becoming Human.  That was an interesting experience.  I am actually trying it again hoping for some different results.  Not sure if I will be able to make it through a whole second play through.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 03:33:57 PM by Sssith »