Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 44807 times)

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #570 on: June 11, 2019, 12:04:39 PM »
The Nintendo Direct was pure fire.  Breath of the Wild is getting a sequel (eventually).  Dragon Quest protagonists and Banjo-Kazooie in Smash.  The Dark Crystal (yes, the movie) is getting a Tactics game.  Seiken Densetsu 3 is being remade as Trials of Mana, as well as the original in the Mana Collection being out for Switch today.  No More Heroes 3 and Luigi's Mansion 3 look cool.  I haven't bought a Nintendo console since the SNES, but I have to admit they arguably had the best E3 showing (besides maybe Square-Enix).

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 11, 2019, 04:28:18 PM »
The Nintendo Direct was pure fire.  Breath of the Wild is getting a sequel (eventually).  Dragon Quest protagonists and Banjo-Kazooie in Smash.  The Dark Crystal (yes, the movie) is getting a Tactics game.  Seiken Densetsu 3 is being remade as Trials of Mana, as well as the original in the Mana Collection being out for Switch today.  No More Heroes 3 and Luigi's Mansion 3 look cool.  I haven't bought a Nintendo console since the SNES, but I have to admit they arguably had the best E3 showing (besides maybe Square-Enix).

... not counting the one with Keanu, of course. ;)

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 11, 2019, 05:42:14 PM »
... not counting the one with Keanu, of course. ;)

;) I'm counting the conferences as a whole.  Keanu might be the best moment for many, and understandably so, but not every game at the Microsoft conference was as well presented as that.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 13, 2019, 06:03:00 PM »
Played through What Remains of Edith Finch, which was free on PS+ last month (or the month before?).  Interesting game, or rather "interactive story".  At least there are no fail states, so what little gameplay there is doesn't distract from the story.  Very somber tone overall though, and not every mini-story was explained very well so the impact wasn't as strong as it could've been (or maybe I missed some details).  Not sure if it would be a great game to play when dealing with family tragedy or a terrible one.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 13, 2019, 08:13:18 PM »
Oh man, I loved Edith Finch. What an amazing experience. Right up there with Gone Home.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: June 17, 2019, 05:02:35 PM »
Played through Everybody's Gone To The Rapture.  Needs a mod that lets you move at 500% speed and it'd be fine.  The swirl of light that is supposed to guide you along gets lost sometimes too.  Was kinda hoping that more of the character backstories you unfold would focus more on what they thought was actually happening instead of their rather boring domestic issues, and most of the characters end up being very unlikeable.  While I think they were going for ambiguity in what is causing the "Rapture", it swung a little too obviously towards one direction to "really make me think" after playing it. Love the music and the graphics though.

After playing so much of Burnout Paradise: Remastered, starting playing Onrush (yet another free PS+ game), which has the same boost/takedown arcade racer mechanics, just in a different style.  Not as interesting as exploring a big city or trying to cause as much collateral damage as possible, but good for some quick kinetic fun.

Melchior

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: June 18, 2019, 09:22:45 PM »
I've playing [/b]Starcrawlers[/b], which is a sci-fi mostly-procedurally-generated 1st person turn-based dungeon crawler. Gets compared to Legend of Grimrock, which I havent played. Its quite fun and cheap on GOG atm