Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 43103 times)

Lego

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 10
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #495 on: April 16, 2019, 09:03:08 PM »
About to start a Mass Effect playthrough, methinks. The Xbox one is such a nostalgia machine.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 16, 2019, 09:05:26 PM »
Mass Effect needs to be played on PC.

Mods, man. Mods. There's a total hi-res texture overhaul for ME1, for instance, and it is glorious.

Lego

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 16, 2019, 09:28:28 PM »
I'll have to check that out, thanks.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 16, 2019, 09:33:07 PM »
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:37:23 PM by Pixie »

Sssith

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 16, 2019, 10:30:02 PM »
Well, I have finished my BL1 play through.  With Brick, I smashed my way through the main story and then I did Claptrap's Revolution and General Knoxx's DLC.

At this point I have no interest in a second run through or getting to level 61.

Lego

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 16, 2019, 10:40:37 PM »
I watched Zero Punctuation's reviews of BL1 and 2. He was not kind.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 17, 2019, 05:51:52 AM »
I watched Zero Punctuation's reviews of BL1 and 2. He was not kind.

He's an idiot. :P

Darkness

• Cookies: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 17, 2019, 07:18:23 AM »
Playing Sniper Elite 4 because it was on sale on steam. It is a fun game but, not quite the stealth-em-up sniper game I was expecting. Stealth is important but, not so important that you can't murder everyone on your way to the target. I was expecting more of a sneaking to the right location, one shot take down of key objectives and then sneak away. You can play the game like that and it is fun to do so but, you can also murder everyone between you and your objective will little consequence.

For example: taking out a forward position by blowing up a truck by shooting the fuel tank and creating an explosion, does not put the entire area on alert.

Still it is pretty and fun.

Sssith

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 17, 2019, 09:49:52 AM »
Zero Punctuation often misses the mark by a wide margin.  What Diablo did for action RPG, Borderlands did to FPS.  And yes BL got the loot mechanic from Diablo, but they nailed the loot system in BL2 like few games ever have.  BL2 is beloved by many for good reason.  This last weekend it was in the top 5 most played games on steam, thanks to the graphics upgrade. 

Lego

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 17, 2019, 08:02:22 PM »
So while I'm off work for this chest cold, or whatever it is, I thought I'd watch a let's play of the Witcher 3 since I couldn't be arsed to play it far. It's even boring as fuck to watch someone who knows what they're doing. I do not understand the love of this game. I'd much rather watch wilburgur glitch out Skyrim and Oblivion.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 17, 2019, 08:56:10 PM »
I've played all three Witcher games. I've never finished one. Geralt is one of the most boring, tedious protagonists ever, and I just can't stand to play him. The games themselves are slow and unexciting. I keep saying I'll go back to W3 and try to finish it and... I just can't. I have too many good games in my library demanding my attention.

maxbeedo

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 18, 2019, 03:03:55 AM »
Started God of War yesterday.  It's... ok, so far.  The exploration is pretty limited, and there are a pretty large number of puzzles, all of which have been very simple.  The combat is "cinematic", but it's also heavily stat-based, meaning very early on it's easy to run into random enemies that one-shot me because they are a significantly higher level, even though they're surrounded by guys I can take just fine.  There are also a crap ton of gatekeeping measures all over the places, several different types of chests and doors I can't open, can't get more health/rage or improve my weapons/armor unless I advance the story, etc. It's a pretty game, and I'm happy to see it go into Norse mythology with the 9 realms and all that, so we'll see how it goes. 

Lego

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 18, 2019, 07:12:50 PM »
Monster Hunter World. Anyone play/played it? It's free now on Xbox Game Pass, so I have it downloading. Probably take a day for that. I've heard alot of good things about it.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 18, 2019, 07:27:30 PM »
Monster Hunter World. Anyone play/played it? It's free now on Xbox Game Pass, so I have it downloading. Probably take a day for that. I've heard alot of good things about it.

It's pretty fun. Grindy as fuck, so if you don't like the "kill a thing to wear its body as armor so you can kill a bigger thing so you can wear its body as armor so you can kill a thing..." circle of life, it's probably not for you. Also, if you dislike silly anime-style oversized weapons, it may not be for you (I manage to grimace and bear it and use the least offensive-looking weapons I can). Other than that - the world is pretty, there's a bazillion challenging things to fight, it's apparently shitloads of fun to co-op (I only solo'd it), the dress-up is fun, etc.

Lego

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 18, 2019, 11:54:49 PM »
So I got so close to the end of the main quest in Fallout 4. I'm almost there. And then, it wants to make me do base-building bullshit. I've ignored it the whole game for a reason. Jokes on them, I'm not going to play it any further. I'll just look up the ending on youtube or something and delete it.