Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 39549 times)

Darkness

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #345 on: September 22, 2018, 07:06:43 AM »
I'm also beginning to appreciate what people mean when they say UHVM can be easier than TVHM. In the former you can't be underlevelled for an area, only undergeared. In TVHM you can often be both, depending on how quickly you plough through the main storyline. Case in point, did the Wildlife Preservation Reserve with Axton on TVHM last night and it was a real slog. Then I died to Bloodwing a lot before finally and nervously taking her down.

With my Zer0 on UVHM, the reserve was less of a slog and Bloodwing was one shotted, partially thanks to the power of Lyudas.

Sssith

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 23, 2018, 02:29:59 PM »
Well I about half, to three quarters, the way through the Hunt DLC.  I am in the middle of a long stretch without new equipment.  I think I am level 63 or 64.  Looking forward to having my full build done.

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 23, 2018, 04:23:24 PM »
I am in the middle of a long stretch without new equipment.  I think I am level 63 or 64.  Looking forward to having my full build done.

Just run Marcus Mercenary Day a few times. That's what I do each level to keep my equipment topped up.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 23, 2018, 04:31:10 PM »
I remember Sigilstun saying he farmed someone 200 times and didn't get a legendary.  I struggle with replayability in this game.  I'm not quite sure why, maybe its similar to early D3 when the chance of something good dropping didn't feel worth playing.  The journey to the target is a drag at least for me.

I do mean to get back into the pre sequel one day when my computer is repaired

maxbeedo

• Cookies: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 24, 2018, 01:41:13 AM »
Not too many great D2 drops this week: near perfect Steelrend (+206 defense, perfect 60%ED, +19 Str), Tal Rasha's Guardianship, Boneflame (near minimum on all rolls though), an 8%LL Carrion Wind, a Reaper's Toll, 2x Ethereal Edges, and a 23% DR Leviathan.  Sadly still very few high-end runes, although I am just an Ist away from making a Call to Arms.  Getting bored again with it, might finally take the plunge into something else new soon (probably Yakuza Kiwami 2).

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 24, 2018, 03:35:45 AM »
I remember Sigilstun saying he farmed someone 200 times and didn't get a legendary.  I struggle with replayability in this game.  I'm not quite sure why, maybe its similar to early D3 when the chance of something good dropping didn't feel worth playing.  The journey to the target is a drag at least for me.

A lot of the legendaries won't drop until you're close to max level. I didn't start seeing legendaries regularly drop from the train chests after Tinder Snowflake until I hit level 61 and there are some I won't see until I hit level 72.

Farming for the Lyuda, I get a legendary drop one in every five kills. So I can quickly build up a selection of Lyuda's that way. Farming Boll for the Fast Ball grenade mod is similarly quick. Not tried Savage Lee for the Harold yet or the Treants for the Bee but, they're both relatively quick farms to do. Same for the Wattle Gobbler.

Some of the best items in BL2 come from quest rewards as well.

I started a Maya yesterday, as I've not played her yet. Got a Legendary drop from the first mini-boss, Knuckledragger. That'll make the first few levels very easy for her to do. After that, I'll bin it as there's no way of getting it to a starting character for it to be useful to them.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 24, 2018, 09:55:33 AM »
The knuckledragger drop is a great weapon.

Did Marcus and got a crap unique grenade mod.  Also found a red text jacobs gun that was also crap.  After I am done with Sir Hammerlock I will farm for a bee.  And do some more Marcus.

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 25, 2018, 02:38:44 AM »
Completed TVHM with Axton last night and made a start on UVHM. Got to the first fast travel in Liar's Berg and then straight to Marcus Mercenary Shop to clear Gingerton, which was a little bit of a struggle as I didn't have many lvl 50 weapons. Tinder Snowflake took a few attempts to kill but, nailed him eventually and got some reasonable upgrades from him. Will try again tonight.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 25, 2018, 09:14:32 AM »
The biggest problem that I have with this game is that the quests continually make you go through the same area again and again.  Other than that the game is excellent.  Lots of loot.  Lots of varients to the loot.  Great characters with many different builds.  Great dialog.  A couple of DLCs that are actually fun additions to the game instead of content that really belonged in the main game.  I could go on

I am still trying to clear Sir Hammerlock's DLC.  I like the DLC but don't love it.  One of the weapons I really want is in this DLC but farming of it is insane by all accounts, so I don't think I will do this.

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 25, 2018, 10:44:18 AM »
The biggest problem that I have with this game is that the quests continually make you go through the same area again and again.
Yes and the way the game hands out quests in a not entirely sensible order, so sometimes you get the optional quests after you've cleared an area for a main quest. That doesn't happen for every zone but, it does for some and the extent to which that irritates me dependent on the zone. Some side quests take you to parts of the zone the main storyline doesn't touch (such as most of the optional quests in the Dust) and I don't mind that, as it is new content. But, having to retread the same ground over and over  for side quests isn't much fun. Lynchwood and Sawtooth Cauldron are the two worst offenders. I really hate Sawtooth Cauldron.

Other than that the game is excellent.  Lots of loot.  Lots of varients to the loot.  Great characters with many different builds.  Great dialog.  A couple of DLCs that are actually fun additions to the game instead of content that really belonged in the main game.  I could go on
Yeah, the loot is good and you only sell/throw stuff away because it isn't as useful as what you already have, as opposed to it being completely useless. And unless you have something really good for your level, you might find a white or green drop to be better than what you have. Something I tend to find with normal damage sniper rifles quite often. Everything that drops is worth a look unless you already have a legendary or pearlescent item for your level equipped.

Kasferatu

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 25, 2018, 01:48:29 PM »
I picked up 'Into the Breach' on the Switch over the weekend as I wanted something I could play mobile in short bursts and Slay the Spire isn't out yet! What an absolutely incredible game, definitely glad I picked it up.  Between this, Slay the Spire, Mario Odyssey and Zelda BOTW it is going to be really tough for me to pick my GOTY this year.

I've also decided based on my aging 970 and the price of the 20xx series that I'm going to give new PC games a break and try and clear my old console backlog - mainly PS3 and vita stuff.  I finished Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time and have now started God of War: Ascension.  After that I have a bunch of RPGs to think about, including Suikoden I & II, Persona 3&4, Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Graces F.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 26, 2018, 09:50:24 AM »
Hit level 65 in Bl2, and immediately started having problems with some of the boss monsters.  Time to update my gear so I head over to kill run the train and kill Snowflake.  Except my gear at this point is so bad that I was able to do that either.  So I went back and started running Boll and Lee for the Fastball and Unkempt Harlold.  Somewhere between the 20th to 30th run Savage Lee finally coughs up an Unkempt Harold.  Boll never did give the Fastball.  The Harold was level 66 which is good except I need more experience to get there so I decide to run Scorch.  On my second run of him I got my Hellfire.  I also picked up two nice Lascaux which was a bonus.  This also got me to level 66 and I visited Snowflake again and this time I punished him twice.  I might run him a couple more times before I go questing.  I got Krieg's legendary COM even though I can't use it.

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 27, 2018, 02:47:51 AM »
Yeah, anything more than a three level difference between weapons and mobs. I use golden keys to try and plug any holes in my gear, even if they're only ever purple or e-tech quality gear. They're usually good enough to get me back on track.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 13, 2018, 01:48:48 AM »
Now playing Assassin's Creed: Odyssey.

Or more accurately, Far Cry: Assassin's Odyssey. ;)

Is good.

Really good.

Kasferatu

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 13, 2018, 02:50:07 PM »
Now playing Assassin's Creed: Odyssey.

Or more accurately, Far Cry: Assassin's Odyssey. ;)

Is good.

Really good.

It looks great.  I play most of the AC games but I'm one behind and honestly, I'm not sure I have time for this new super open world RPG direction the series is taking :(